Has anyone tried the HV20 as an extreme sports cam yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Has anyone tried the HV20 as an extreme sports cam yet?

Like mounted to an off-road vehicle, skydiving, helmet mounted, rollbar mounted? I am wondering if the fixed the HV10 issue.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Contributor

shaky

i'm not sure if it's just my unit, or just the form factor i'm not used to, but i have an extremely hard time keeping this cam useably still. shouldn't one be able to walk holding the cam and shoot with out the image bouncing all over? even walking cradling the cam with both hands i can't get a useable image.

some samples of things that bother me. notice the warping of some frames, and what appears to be the OIS jumping around. all of these shots were shot hand held, although most were shot with the cam cradled in my hand, set on top of my leg as i was sitting down.

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hv2...ues%20720p.mov

am i too sensitive or does it seem like the OIS isn't helping/maybe even hurting?

i have an xl1s and a canon tele eos lense with ois, and i have no problems with those.
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Now you've got me worried. That doesn't look right at all. Even the EIS on my old Sony is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. You should start a thread about this issue and see if it's apparent on more HV20s than your own.
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lemming View Post
Now you've got me worried. That doesn't look right at all. Even the EIS on my old Sony is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. You should start a thread about this issue and see if it's apparent on more HV20s than your own.
Lets be realistic, that footage looks like he has his cam mounted on a Jackhammer. I would definately say there is something wrong with his camera. I would contact service asap or see if it is possible to exchange it at the store you bought it from.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Trustee

That looks different that what the footage DSE had with the HV10. That may be your unit as suggested.
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Major Player

The warping appears to be a rolling shutter side effect. That's normal for most cameras with cmos chips. I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad on the HV20, but it appears it is. It will be noticible with any extremely quick movement because of how the image is captured from top to bottom, but not simultaneously. So if the camera has moved quickly from when it's begun scanning the frame at the top to when it's reached the bottom, you'll end up with that warped look. It's clearly evident in DSE's HV10 sky diving clip.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
The warping appears to be a rolling shutter side effect. That's normal for most cameras with cmos chips. I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad on the HV20, but it appears it is. It will be noticible with any extremely quick movement because of how the image is captured from top to bottom, but not simultaneously. So if the camera has moved quickly from when it's begun scanning the frame at the top to when it's reached the bottom, you'll end up with that warped look. It's clearly evident in DSE's HV10 sky diving clip.
DSE's clip appeared to be a problem with the OIS element controller instead of rolling shutter from what I remember. It was side-to-side also.
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That is odd looking. It's like watching the video through a funhouse mirror for a second. Not that I am wishing ill will on you, but I hope that is just a dud camera, and not all HV20's will be affected that way.

Any other HV20 owners experiencing anything like this?

I am also seeing some awful macroblocking down in the trees in the building/constrution shot. And in the last bit walking along next to the water. The trees across the water also have some serious macroblocking.

Is this normal? Is it the HDV codec being overwhelmed with too much camera movement? If so, that video is unusable. Almost like a hi res cell phone cam image. Or is this just from web compression?

Thanks,
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #9
Contributor

macro blocking

that is just the web compression, although i'm uploading a clip right now that shows mpeg artifacting.

here's a screen grab

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hv20/artifacting.png

and if this cam is a dud, what do yall recommend as far as getting it checked out/replaced? i'd really like to see some moving footage from another one so i have something to go on. i might go into the store where i know they have some and see if they'll let me demo it. i got the cam from B&H should i get a RMA or should i use the mack warranty that i also purchased? or send it back to canon?

Last edited by Austin Meyers; March 25th, 2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: i suck at english
Austin Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Trustee

Bump - Anyone done anything extreme with it yet? Still want to know if it is suitable for a POV helmet cam. It is this or the HC7.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #11
Trustee

Bump again. Going to pull the trigger in a couple of weeks and want to see if the HV20 fixed the problem with use as a helmet cam.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders