DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 and Brevis35...first footage! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/89836-hv20-brevis35-first-footage.html)

Dennis Wood March 24th, 2007 07:10 PM

HV20 and Brevis35...first footage!

Michael Schoenfeld posted up this clip using his assistant, the HV20, and the Brevis35 using our standard CF1 imaging element and 50mm 1.4, 85 1.8, 135 f2, and 35 1.4. EOS lenses.

Etienne Botha March 24th, 2007 08:01 PM

I'm blown away, I don't know what to say.

Nick Laskowski March 24th, 2007 11:07 PM

Please advise

Just looking at this footage and its great, but as far as the brevis is concerned can you please elaborate for me? I would be interested in knowing the basics of what it is and how it works, please take a moment and elaborate. Thanks, Nick.

Alan Dunkel March 24th, 2007 11:10 PM

Very nice

Dennis, Looks great, was that with or without the achromat or the extension tube? Thanks, Alan

Alan Dunkel March 24th, 2007 11:17 PM

It is a 35mm lens adapter..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Laskowski (Post 647769)
Just looking at this footage and its great, but as far as the brevis is concerned can you please elaborate for me? I would be interested in knowing the basics of what it is and how it works, please take a moment and elaborate. Thanks, Nick.

Nick,
..designed to get a shallow depth of field into a shot. With the 24p of the HV20, it really helps achieve a more theatrical look. Look at the URL in Dennis' post for info on the Brevis35.
Regards, Alan

Nick Laskowski March 24th, 2007 11:38 PM

Thanks Alan.

Chris Barcellos March 25th, 2007 12:08 AM

Oh my god.... Spectacular.... Dennis, do we have a Pentax K mount in the works?

Mike McEntire March 25th, 2007 12:55 AM

that looks insanely good. can't wait to get my Brevis later in the week. It is going to be great.

Kristin Stewart March 25th, 2007 03:15 AM

Very nice, but the sharpness isn't sometimes completly accurate. It's hard to tell, it would be great to have a better size in HD. Maybe he should have closed the lenses one stop further.

Dennis Wood March 25th, 2007 10:05 AM

Kristin, he's using EOS lenses. They use a servo controlled aperture which is locked wide open unless the lens is mounted on an EOS SLR. You can read more on Michaels comments in his thread at the cinevate forum. I'll have an HV20 in house shortly for testing and will post up some full frame footage. Having looked at hours and hours of adapter footage, I can tell you the HV20 footage is very clean.

Chris, the Pentax K mount has been requested a fair bit, so we are bringing it into the current mount collection.

Michael did have an HD 72mm acrho on there! This would make the HV20 the first 43mm camera that requires it.

Kristin Stewart March 25th, 2007 11:10 AM

Thanks Dennis... I agree, this HV20 footage is very clean ! In fact, except for an easier ergonomy (easier control maybe ?), I don't really see the advantage of buying a more expensive camera. If Michael could shoot some landscapes outside it would be great !

Michael Schoenfeld March 25th, 2007 12:46 PM

HV20 Brevis combo

hello all,

Michael Schoenfeld here,

Kristen greetings.....

FYI, Friday was a very busy day @ my studio, so the "depth" and clinical accuracy of the test left much to be deisred!

I own two HVX 200's that create a better image than the HV20, but not "that" much under certain circumstances. This little camera should be huge for the independent film-maker world.

The lenses I tested were focused without and follow focus devices - just my hand turning the lens, so I do know what an "in focus" image looks like, it's just mighty hard to get it with any consistency by hand. and These are fast shallow lenses! That being said they are very sharp wide open, and that is how I intend to use them.

Neat little combo - looks really odd though.

All the best,

Michael Schoenfeld

View my newest portfolio offerings at:

www.michaelschoenfeld.com

Michael Schoenfeld March 25th, 2007 12:47 PM

Kristin,

Sorry about the spelling!

Michael Schoenfeld

Rob Unck March 25th, 2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schoenfeld (Post 648040)
Neat little combo - looks really odd though.

Michael,

Thanks for posting those initial tests and giving some background.

Would love to see a picture of how "odd" the little combo looks all put together!

Brad Vaughan March 25th, 2007 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Unck (Post 648110)
Michael,

Thanks for posting those initial tests and giving some background.

Would love to see a picture of how "odd" the little combo looks all put together!

I would love to see that picture too.