HV20 Sample Clip (60i) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 Sample Clip (60i)

http://447productions.com/HV20_60i_h264.mov

I shot a few clips this afternoon in 1080i60. The link was shot using the "Instant Autofocus" and the custom setting all at "Neutral." Captured into FCP 514 and NO color correction was applied. The Link is a QT, 960x540 at 29.97, H264, 11mb, using Mpeg Streamclip.

I have not figured out how to do the reverse telecine with the 24p material and would LOVE IT if anyone has the reciepe to that one. The manual does state that the 24p footage is laid to tape at 1080i60 (1440x1080). I thought that a live feed out of the firewire port might send out 24 discreet frames, but no dice.

We went back to my buddies apartment after shooting for a few minutes down on the street and I went component out of the HV20 into his 50" Phillips 1080i HDTV. It looked absolutely stunning. WTF!!!

I have now figured out how to set the camera up (tonight) and am excited to shoot some 24p material. Any (relatively) simple methods to convert to 1080p24? Thanks guys (and girls). PS- The HV20/brevis stuff looked great. Never used that adapter.... any links?
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Taylor,
the focus was very fast however during the middle footage, the focus suddenly went back to the wall? any idea why that happened?

thanks
yow siang
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yow Siang View Post
Hi Taylor,
the focus was very fast however during the middle footage, the focus suddenly went back to the wall? any idea why that happened?
There is Manual Focus, Normal Auto Focus, and Instant Auto Focus on the HV20. I was in the Instant Auto Focus mode, so my guess is that there is a centerweighted area that elects what to focus on, and when the subject moved slightly out of that center zone, the camera saw the wall and very very quickly focused on that. Then jumped back to the subject when he dipped back into frame....

Keep in mind the camera is designed for consumers who love not to have to do anything, hence the Instant Auto Focus:)
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yes.. and i thought that is impressively fast isnt it?
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
Any (relatively) simple methods to convert to 1080p24?
What I've been doing (with other peoples' footage!) is converting to various I-frame formats in MPEG Streamclip (Motion Jpeg at 75%, DVCPRO HD, or Apple Intermediate). Then I load the resulting file into Cinema Tools, and find the "A" frame by scrubbing to the first interlaced frame, then going back two frames.

I then click "Reverse Telecine." The following buttons should be selected: F1-F2, AA, Style 1, Conform to 23.98. Click OK and save it. You should now have a 24p file.

Unfortunately, the pulldown cadence changes on every shot, so you'll have to do each individual clip separately. :/ I'm hoping it gets more automated with future versions of Cinema Tools or FCP.

I don't have After Effects, but I understand it's also able to perform reverse telecine. When I get a chance I'm also going to play with Avisynth on the PC side.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Hal.

FWIW, I just looked at the clip I posted, and realize that it is not pretty looking at all. My buddy looks hungover and tired, (non actor) the camera is not setup well, the highlights are clipping on his cheek b/c I had no idea how to use to iris, and the overall look and feel is drab. My thought was to just hit record, capture, and at least do diligence with the H264 process. But no frills here. No grip gear, no sticks, no optical stabilizer activated..... just upload for the dvinfo world to download so at least you can get a quick peek at the little palmcorder.

If you think it looks as bad as I do, then blame me and not the camera. What I DO think is worth taking note of is the incredible detail you can see on my friend Alex's face. The stubble works well. The lens is at the end of the barrel most of the time and I don't see much CA.

Just had to get that off my chest. I will try to shoot something more dynamic when I get a few more minutes so you can look at color/dynamic range, low light capabilities, etc. Or someone will sooner or later..... Taylor
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Wigton View Post
I have not figured out how to do the reverse telecine with the 24p material and would LOVE IT if anyone has the reciepe to that one. The manual does state that the 24p footage is laid to tape at 1080i60 (1440x1080). I thought that a live feed out of the firewire port might send out 24 discreet frames, but no dice.
Wouldn't this be a FCP capture setting, the same as bringing in Canon A1 24p material?
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Taylor,

Post the best looking 24p clip that you have as a raw m2t and I will reverse telecine and encode it in high quality, like I did to that NY street clip.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Taylor:

Brevis is at www.Cinevate.com
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks Chris for the link, went in but unable to locate the 43mm adapter for brevis in the catelog site, must i special order it?

thanks
yow siang
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton View Post
Taylor,

Post the best looking 24p clip that you have as a raw m2t and I will reverse telecine and encode it in high quality, like I did to that NY street clip.
Hey Barlow- Will try to get something shot in a couple days. Thanks, tw
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yow Siang View Post
thanks Chris for the link, went in but unable to locate the 43mm adapter for brevis in the catelog site, must i special order it?

thanks
yow siang
Yow, I ordered both 43 to 55 and 55 to 72mm step up rings from B&H, but I think Dennis said he'll start carrying the rings soon for the HV20 and that could be a safer bet. My Brevis35 is due in a week or so and I can tell you if the rings work. I'm getting the HD bundle with the achromat and that Brevis configuration needs a 72mm ring. Without the achromat it is different, but the example from Utah was using the achromat per Dennis though whether an HV20 will focus without it is still not known to my knowledge. I need the achromat anyway for the HVX200 and HD110.
Regards, Alan
Alan Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunkel View Post
Yow, I ordered both 43 to 55 and 55 to 72mm step up rings from B&H, but I think Dennis said he'll start carrying the rings soon for the HV20 and that could be a safer bet. My Brevis35 is due in a week or so and I can tell you if the rings work. I'm getting the HD bundle with the achromat and that Brevis configuration needs a 72mm ring. Without the achromat it is different, but the example from Utah was using the achromat per Dennis though whether an HV20 will focus without it is still not known to my knowledge. I need the achromat anyway for the HVX200 and HD110.
Regards, Alan
Can you share the final price of this bundle?
Giovanny Canales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunkel View Post
Regards, Alan
I actually use Dennis's achromat on my DIY adapter for my FX1. I too am curious if the HV20 close has macro focus capability, and can avoid use of acrhomat.

Just looked a Canon site: This is info:

Minimum Focusing Distance: 10 mm (wide)/1m (tele)

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; March 27th, 2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Add content:
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders