DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 accessories advices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/90189-hv20-accessories-advices.html)

Daniele Lauretti March 29th, 2007 01:26 AM

HV20 accessories advices

Hi, I'm going to purchase a PAL HV20, and I'd like some advices on the accessories.

1\Extra batteries. Reading camcorderinfo's review of this camera, it's not easy to understand what is the battery life with the included battery. They first say that it lasts 40 minutes, and then that it lasts 70 minutes in typical use. Can you say me what is the exact duration? In this way I can decide if to buy two BP-2L13 wich will let me use the viewfinder or two BP-2L14, that make the viewfinder unusable.
2\Wide angle. I read on canon's site that the HV20 has a 35mm equivalent of 43.6-436 in HDV mode. What wide angle adapter should I buy to obtain a 35mm equivalent of 28mm in full wide? And for 35mm? It should also be made for HD, so to not degrade video quality, and possibly with the less barrel distorsion possible.
3\Telephoto. Same as above, what 2x telephoto adapter is better for this camera without degrading image sharpness and quality?
4\Monopod. Since the camera is small, I'm sure I'll get shaky videos. So I was thinking about a monopod to add weight and stability. What I'm searching is a monopod that is small enough to fit into a camera bag.
5\DV tapes. What brand of HDV tapes are best? I'd like to use again my tapes after acquisition without having to worry about dropouts. I also read somewhere that if I do only one recording on a given tape, a normal DV tape is just as good as an HDV one. Is this true?
6\Camera bag. I need a bag that is small and that can contain the camera, two extra batteries, the power adapter, some tapes and a monopod.

Thank you very much for your help.

Art Willig March 29th, 2007 02:40 AM

1) Nobody can give you the exact duration. Using the screen will take more power than the viewfinder.
2)The glass they use is critical...buy a quality lens.
3)see 2
4)While a monopod adds some stability, I've had several shots ruined by using them. There's just no substitute for a good tripod.
5)Premium tapes are fine but the HDV tapes are reported to have fewer dropouts. At $2.59 per, don't reuse your tapes.
6)try the sponsers here

Daniele Lauretti March 29th, 2007 03:00 AM

1\Well what I wanted was an aproximation, with the lcd and typical use (pauses, zooms, settings etc.)
2&3\What do you mean for quality lens? Can you tell me some?
4\I already have a tripod, I was thinking about the monopod to add stability to moving shots, for example when I walk as a tourist in a city.
5\What HDV tape brand do you think is best?

Thank you for your help!

Steve Montoto March 29th, 2007 05:36 AM

Hi,

I know you wanted specifics so here is what I would purchase if I were you.

Canon SC-2000 Camera Bag is a good one.

Canon TL-H43 is a 1.7x Telephoto Adapter.

Canon WD-H43 is a 0.7 Wide angle adapter if you can find it, apparently its just been released for the hv-20.

I personally just ordered the Canon BP-2L14 batteries for mine, just because I want the flexiblity of the longer battery life, I use my lcd most of the time.

I love the 560B monopod with the quick release its extreemly light and has some little feet that fold out for added stability.

A Canon CB-2LW charger is small and convenient and packs away nicely in the pack.

Plus a set of Hoya or Canon 43mm filters.

Edit: As for Tapes I use Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ tapes. (Good quality-No Dropouts and cheaper than the rest) For standard Def you can use any tape, just stick with one brand only.

I either own or have ordered all of the above.

Take care,

Steve

Daniele Lauretti March 29th, 2007 07:27 AM

Wonderful Steve, that was exactly what I needed. If you can answer, I would like to ask you some questions:

1\The two adapters you suggested do preserve the amazing resolution of the HV20? If you tried these it's even better.

2\What kind of filters are the most useful? I was thinking about a polarizer and a neutral density. Can I mount them together or only separately?

3\Should I stick with one brand for both HDV and DV? Why?

4\All of the things you listed can be fitted in the SC-2000 Camera Bag? If yes, shouldn't it be big?

EDIT: just done a search and found that the SC-2000 is meant for use with DC10, DC20, MV300, series MV700 and MV800. Will it fit for the HV20?

Steve Montoto March 29th, 2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniele Lauretti (Post 650725)
Wonderful Steve, that was exactly what I needed. If you can answer, I would like to ask you some questions:

1\The two adapters you suggested do preserve the amazing resolution of the HV20? If you tried these it's even better.

2\What kind of filters are the most useful? I was thinking about a polarizer and a neutral density. Can I mount them together or only separately?

3\Should I stick with one brand for both HDV and DV? Why?

4\All of the things you listed can be fitted in the SC-2000 Camera Bag? If yes, shouldn't it be big?

EDIT: just done a search and found that the SC-2000 is meant for use with DC10, DC20, MV300, series MV700 and MV800. Will it fit for the HV20?

Hi,
Glad you found that information useful.

Yes the H version of those lenses is supposedly the Hi-Def Version for high def cameras.

I use the UV filter for protection of the factory lens, the polarizer is for outdoor shooting if you do that.

They say stick with one brand of tape, because of the different kinds of lube the different companys use.

The SC-2000 a friend of mine has and it has one big compartment for the camera inside and a nice large zipper pocket in front and 2 more on each side, so holding some accessories wont be a problem. They do make bigger bags though if you want to hold more.

Take care,

Steve

John Godden March 29th, 2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Montoto (Post 650684)
Hi,

I know you wanted specifics so here is what I would purchase if I were you.

Canon SC-2000 Camera Bag is a good one.

Canon TL-H43 is a 1.7x Telephoto Adapter.

Canon WD-H43 is a 0.7 Wide angle adapter if you can find it, apparently its just been released for the hv-20.

I personally just ordered the Canon BP-2L14 batteries for mine, just because I want the flexiblity of the longer battery life, I use my lcd most of the time.

I love the 560B monopod with the quick release its extreemly light and has some little feet that fold out for added stability.

A Canon CB-2LW charger is small and convenient and packs away nicely in the pack.

Plus a set of Hoya or Canon 43mm filters.

Edit: As for Tapes I use Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ tapes. (Good quality-No Dropouts and cheaper than the rest) For standard Def you can use any tape, just stick with one brand only.

I either own or have ordered all of the above.

Take care,

Steve

Steve

Did you find a shop that had the WD-H43 in stock? If so, please email the vendor to me.

Thanks
JohnG

Leila Alkadi March 29th, 2007 01:13 PM

$159, free shipping, from VideoDirect:

Edit: (link removed... apparently this is a shady joint)

The website says "in stock" but you should call them first...

If you're able to get one, let us know how you like the lens. :)

John Godden March 29th, 2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leila Alkadi (Post 650913)
$159, free shipping, from VideoDirect:

http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2...uct_Code=WDH43

The website says "in stock" but you should call them first...

If you're able to get one, let us know how you like the lens. :)

EVERYTHING on their site says "in stock". I wonder if they have anything???................ the reselleratings are also pretty sketchy.

JohnG

Brandon Svec March 29th, 2007 02:28 PM

I wouldn't order anything from Video Direct. I don't think they actually maintain their own stock of anything. I had an HV20 on pre order with them for a week and finally canceled and reordered from Crutchfield after I saw everyone else getting theirs except me. About a battery and charger they told me they had "low stock" at a contractors warehouse. I told them never mind.. Someone else in the forum also pointed out to me that they got a lot of negative reviews somewhere. Lastly, their 800# was busy 9 out of 10 times I tried to call them.

Anyhow, re: accessories:

I just got a dual wall/car charger and a BP-2L14 battery for $13 and $14 respectively from Supermart Storefront via Pricegrabber. They came in 2 days via regular mail to California. I can't speak to the quality since I just got them, but the batter is charging in my wall with a little red light right now..

Peter J Alessandria March 29th, 2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godden (Post 650937)
EVERYTHING on their site says "in stock". I wonder if they have anything???................ the reselleratings are also pretty sketchy.

JohnG

I've gotten good service from them (recently bought two Azden 300ULT's from them) and I'm getting my HV20 from them as well.

Steve Montoto March 29th, 2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godden (Post 650909)
Steve

Did you find a shop that had the WD-H43 in stock? If so, please email the vendor to me.

Thanks
JohnG

Hi John,

I havent found a place yet that had it in stock, however Luis Diaz gave me the name to a reputable vendor in florida he uses, so I ordered it from them. Hopefully will be getting it in a couple weeks.

I tried that VideoDirect place, and your right, it does seem a little shady, I ordered it then they sent me a email saying that it might not be in stock and to call their 1-800 number. heh I called their 1-800 number from 9am to 5pm about once every 10 minutes and the number was busy all day.(off the hook if you ask me) so I emailed them to cancel my order.

I will email you the place Luis told me about if you want.

Take care,

Steve

Daniele Lauretti March 30th, 2007 03:13 AM

What about a mic? I would need a good mic, possibly stereo, and not too big (suitable for vacations and run & gun). Does it exists such a mic with good quality?

@Steve: Should I stick with one type of tape or with the brand?

The tapes you suggested cost way too much for normal video shooting, are there less expensive tapes made specifically for HDV wich have a low dropout frequency?

Leila Alkadi March 30th, 2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Montoto (Post 651113)
I tried that VideoDirect place, and your right, it does seem a little shady, I ordered it then they sent me a email saying that it might not be in stock and to call their 1-800 number. heh

Thanks for the advice.... I've never ordered anything from them before... and probably won't, after reading all the negative feedback about this company....

I should have figured it out when they had "everything" in stock.... :D

Steve Montoto March 30th, 2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniele Lauretti (Post 651282)
What about a mic? I would need a good mic, possibly stereo, and not too big (suitable for vacations and run & gun). Does it exists such a mic with good quality?

@Steve: Should I stick with one type of tape or with the brand?

The tapes you suggested cost way too much for normal video shooting, are there less expensive tapes made specifically for HDV wich have a low dropout frequency?

Hi Daniele,

Just wanted to say that I am by no means an expert, Everything I have learned from the professionals on this board. But I can email you a place where I purchased the AMQ tapes for $6.49 each. Now you can use the MQ tapes or the PQ tapes but I dont have any information on how many dropouts they have though.

As for a good quality mic. I am looking for something good too, If I find one I will surely let you know.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leila Alkadi (Post 651450)
Thanks for the advice.... I've never ordered anything from them before... and probably won't, after reading all the negative feedback about this company....

I should have figured it out when they had "everything" in stock.... :D

On a positive note about the company they were prompt to apologize and quickly cancel my order.

Steve