A few HV20 frame grabs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Major Player

A few HV20 frame grabs

Have been shooting quite a bit with this camera and it's pretty amazing. It's exceeded my expectations. I've uploaded some frame grabs here...

Flickr HV20 Frame Grabs collection
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Nice detail and color Wes. These cams continue to amaze me.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks Wes, obviously the video side of the camera has been occupying most people's attention but it's good to see what the still capability is, definitely a far cry from the poor imagining in camcorders of the past. Beautiful cat also!
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Charles, those are actually all frame grabs from video. The full motion video just blows me away. I haven't even tried the digital still camera part of it yet, actually just got a mini-SD card in the mail today so hopefully soon. My point and shoot (Canon S400) recently died for the second time so I'm thrilled at the manual controls that this camera has in still mode. Just having the manual focus is really going to be nice.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Another note on the still capabilities of the camera is that I'm going to use this for stop-motion animation for sure. I've tried stop-motion with my point and shoot and it just doesn't work, not enough manual controls. And I can't justify a DSLR just for the occasional stop-mo hobby animation. So I always go back to my DV camcorder connected to a computer, cumbersome but I have some manual control. With the HV20, you get all the nice manual controls in still mode, plus a photo button on the remote so you don't have to disturb the camera... nice.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Amazing shots Wes...
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Chris! I just did some tests of the still image capture and it's really good. I did a quick stop-mo using the remote and that works nicely. The image quality is super. I'd upload video but my web hosting is pretty weak.

I added a still picture and video grab comparison so you can see what the full still mode captures. The still pictures look pretty darn good.

Still mode comparison

Last edited by Wes Vasher; March 31st, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Very nice! The frame grabs appear to look slightly better than the stills.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

have those images been photoshop tweaked or is that raw straight out of the camera?

image quality comparable with $3000 camera!
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Glenn and Owen. Glenn, I agree, frame grabs tend to look a little nicer than digital stills but I think this is a product of the compression used. Some stills I've taken have had horrendous JPEG compression on them, and all my stills are taken in the highest quality mode so that's a little dissapointing.

Owen, I don't think I did anything to any of these in Photoshop. Everything's in camera! A lot of times in my hunt to avoid clipping I underexpose also, such as the dark shot of the cat looking directly into the camera. I'll say it again, use the Low Sharpening filter and the video just sings.

I find a frame that doesn't have pull-down added, then export it from MPEGStreamClip to 1440x1080 TIFF, then resize it in Photoshop to 1440x810 then upload it to Flickr which doesn't allow me to upload that large of an image. But Flickr's resizer seems to do a decent job.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Wes, your shots make me want to spend the 2200 less on the A1 and just go with the HV20. What is your background in video/photo to get these amazing shots from this camera? HAve you hooked it up to an HDTV, does it look remarkably well? Do you have any comparison to an A1 at all?

Hopefully I am not asking too many questions, but your post here makes me think twice about my future investment
Eric Sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
Thanks Glenn and Owen. Glenn, I agree, frame grabs tend to look a little nicer than digital stills but I think this is a product of the compression used. Some stills I've taken have had horrendous JPEG compression on them, and all my stills are taken in the highest quality mode so that's a little dissapointing.

Owen, I don't think I did anything to any of these in Photoshop. Everything's in camera! A lot of times in my hunt to avoid clipping I underexpose also, such as the dark shot of the cat looking directly into the camera. I'll say it again, use the Low Sharpening filter and the video just sings.

I find a frame that doesn't have pull-down added, then export it from MPEGStreamClip to 1440x1080 TIFF, then resize it in Photoshop to 1440x810 then upload it to Flickr which doesn't allow me to upload that large of an image. But Flickr's resizer seems to do a decent job.
Wes, I think many people underexpose their shots when using zebra stripes. If you look at pro footage with megabuck cameras, there are many many times they have areas overexposed so as to get the main subject rendered properly. I would use zebras judiciously.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Wes, I think many people underexpose their shots when using zebra stripes. If you look at pro footage with megabuck cameras, there are many many times they have areas overexposed so as to get the main subject rendered properly. I would use zebras judiciously.
I think you at least need to set zebras at 100. The testing I have done shows this camera will blow out quickly.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Eric. I'm no pro shooter but I have shot Super 8, 16mm, and all the video flavors for my own videos and some televised shows. It's very easy to shoot really ugly video with the HV20 but with a little practice with the manual controls you can get a nice picture quickly. If you are shooting a setup where you have control over your lighting and subject matter you can get amazing video. I don't have an HDTV but I have a really nice CRT (Apple Studio 17") and the video looks absolutely stunning on it. Everything I shoot has the low sharpening filter which I think makes a world of difference.

Ken and Chris, both good points to keep in mind.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Major Player

Wes

Talking of Pushing the boundary's !!!!

Beautifull shots ! / Go my man --- GO !

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders