DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 Play Back in Sony Gear (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/90551-hv10-play-back-sony-gear.html)

Matthew Pugerude April 3rd, 2007 10:58 AM

HV10 Play Back in Sony Gear

Hey I am trying to find out if the HV10 will playback in a Sony HDV edit Deck. What are my Playback options with this camera. If the Camera is not with me.

Stephen Jaffe April 4th, 2007 01:04 PM

HV10 Play Back

I'm also having difficulty using the Sony HDV deck. I have to capture from the camera. Any fix out there???

Matthew Pugerude April 4th, 2007 02:48 PM

Sony HDV Edit Deck

Hey I just want to know if the Canon Hv10 will playback for capture in one of the Sony HDV edit decks. Please help ME. So far what I have found is as long as it is in the HDV 60I format it is not a problem. Any other thoughts out there. I would like to get it for some underwater insert shots to put in a show but the edit house does not think it will work with there Sony gear.

Mike Teutsch April 4th, 2007 02:54 PM

Sony, JVC and Canon are all different formats. You can play DV as far as I know, but not HDV on the others deck.

That is one reason Canon owners are buy the HV10 or the HV20's, to use as decks.

Mike

Corey Fisher April 4th, 2007 03:50 PM

My HV10 was able to play back video from a MiniDV tape recorded with a Sony HDR-HC3 this last week.

-corey

Ken Ross April 5th, 2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch (Post 653891)
Sony, JVC and Canon are all different formats. You can play DV as far as I know, but not HDV on the others deck.

That is one reason Canon owners are buy the HV10 or the HV20's, to use as decks.

Mike

Mike, all HDV tapes should be interchangeable from one manufacturer's equipment to another. However, camera data will often be read improperly when doing this, but the tape will play fine.

Bill Busby April 5th, 2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 654320)
Mike, all HDV tapes should be interchangeable from one manufacturer's equipment to another. However, camera data will often be read improperly when doing this, but the tape will play fine.

Not neccessarily. At this time, no other manufacturers gear will play Canon's HDV frame modes (24f or 30f). HDV 60i however plays in other gear as it should.

Bill

Ken Ross April 5th, 2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 654338)
Not neccessarily. At this time, no other manufacturers gear will play Canon's HDV frame modes (24f or 30f). HDV 60i however plays in other gear as it should.

Bill

Yes Bill, I was actually referencing 60i and not 24p. I should have been more clear about that.

Mike Teutsch April 5th, 2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 654320)

Got rid of my JVC HDV deck because it would not play HDV Canon tapes, only DV.

Mike

Ken Ross April 5th, 2007 05:07 PM

I think JVC has some of the quirkiest equipment out there. Having owned numerous JVC decks, I can attest to that. Their longevity stinks, they lose tracking very quickly and are just plain unreliable. But I've had no problem playing Canon HDV tapes in a Sony cam or vice versa. It's just that the data code is screwy when you do this.

Mike Teutsch April 5th, 2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 654680)
I think JVC has some of the quirkiest equipment out there. Having owned numerous JVC decks, I can attest to that. Their longevity stinks, they lose tracking very quickly and are just plain unreliable. But I've had no problem playing Canon HDV tapes in a Sony cam or vice versa. It's just that the data code is screwy when you do this.

Don't think I would say that or agree with you. My little JVC deck worked flawlessly for me, always.

Mike

Ken Ross April 5th, 2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch (Post 654684)
Don't think I would say that or agree with you. My little JVC deck worked flawlessly for me, always.

Mike

Mike, ask some people who owned the JVC-D Theater decks! There are tons of posts from people who were sick of JVC's lack of quality control. I had two versions of these from JVC and it took me literally FOUR DECKS before I got one that worked properly. I kid you not. AVS is filled with posts like this about these JVC decks.

But I do find they have the best picture quality out of the box, so I keep buying them. :)

Mike Teutsch April 5th, 2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 654699)
Mike, ask some people who owned the JVC-D Theater decks! There are tons of posts from people who were sick of JVC's lack of quality control. I had two versions of these from JVC and it took me literally FOUR DECKS before I got one that worked properly. I kid you not. AVS is filled with posts like this about these JVC decks.

But I do find they have the best picture quality out of the box, so I keep buying them. :)

You could be very right about what you are saying, but it appears that you are bashing all JVC decks based on the problems with one model.

Also, what kind of deck are these, if they are affecting the picture quality? Old, VHS decks? DV or HDV is just 1's and 0's, no picture quality change.

Best of luck---Mike

Ken Ross April 5th, 2007 06:01 PM

No Mike, the D-Theater decks are JVC's premiere decks. They're fully digital (D-VHS) but also are terrific VHS & SVHS decks. When working properly, they probably have the best picture quality of any JVC I've owned. But as I said, it's when they're working properly.

If you've ever followed this on the AVS forum, it almost became comical as people kept swapping them out due to horrendous tracking issues.

Mike Teutsch April 5th, 2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 654720)
No Mike, the D-Theater decks are JVC's premiere decks. They're fully digital (D-VHS) but also are terrific VHS & SVHS decks. When working properly, they probably have the best picture quality of any JVC I've owned. But as I said, it's when they're working properly.

If you've ever followed this on the AVS forum, it almost became comical as people kept swapping them out due to horrendous tracking issues.

So the quality issue only applies to the analog side, but what problem is generally encountered in operating the deck?

Then it is probably time to stop our hijacking of this thread! :)

Mike