HV10 Play Back in Sony Gear at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV10 Play Back in Sony Gear

Hey I am trying to find out if the HV10 will playback in a Sony HDV edit Deck. What are my Playback options with this camera. If the Camera is not with me.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Tourist

HV10 Play Back

I'm also having difficulty using the Sony HDV deck. I have to capture from the camera. Any fix out there???
Stephen Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sony HDV Edit Deck

Hey I just want to know if the Canon Hv10 will playback for capture in one of the Sony HDV edit decks. Please help ME. So far what I have found is as long as it is in the HDV 60I format it is not a problem. Any other thoughts out there. I would like to get it for some underwater insert shots to put in a show but the edit house does not think it will work with there Sony gear.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony, JVC and Canon are all different formats. You can play DV as far as I know, but not HDV on the others deck.

That is one reason Canon owners are buy the HV10 or the HV20's, to use as decks.

Mike
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Tourist

My HV10 was able to play back video from a MiniDV tape recorded with a Sony HDR-HC3 this last week.

-corey
Corey Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Sony, JVC and Canon are all different formats. You can play DV as far as I know, but not HDV on the others deck.

That is one reason Canon owners are buy the HV10 or the HV20's, to use as decks.

Mike
Mike, all HDV tapes should be interchangeable from one manufacturer's equipment to another. However, camera data will often be read improperly when doing this, but the tape will play fine.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mike, all HDV tapes should be interchangeable from one manufacturer's equipment to another. However, camera data will often be read improperly when doing this, but the tape will play fine.
Not neccessarily. At this time, no other manufacturers gear will play Canon's HDV frame modes (24f or 30f). HDV 60i however plays in other gear as it should.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Not neccessarily. At this time, no other manufacturers gear will play Canon's HDV frame modes (24f or 30f). HDV 60i however plays in other gear as it should.

Bill
Yes Bill, I was actually referencing 60i and not 24p. I should have been more clear about that.
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Got rid of my JVC HDV deck because it would not play HDV Canon tapes, only DV.

Mike
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Trustee

I think JVC has some of the quirkiest equipment out there. Having owned numerous JVC decks, I can attest to that. Their longevity stinks, they lose tracking very quickly and are just plain unreliable. But I've had no problem playing Canon HDV tapes in a Sony cam or vice versa. It's just that the data code is screwy when you do this.
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
I think JVC has some of the quirkiest equipment out there. Having owned numerous JVC decks, I can attest to that. Their longevity stinks, they lose tracking very quickly and are just plain unreliable. But I've had no problem playing Canon HDV tapes in a Sony cam or vice versa. It's just that the data code is screwy when you do this.
Don't think I would say that or agree with you. My little JVC deck worked flawlessly for me, always.

Mike
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Don't think I would say that or agree with you. My little JVC deck worked flawlessly for me, always.

Mike
Mike, ask some people who owned the JVC-D Theater decks! There are tons of posts from people who were sick of JVC's lack of quality control. I had two versions of these from JVC and it took me literally FOUR DECKS before I got one that worked properly. I kid you not. AVS is filled with posts like this about these JVC decks.

But I do find they have the best picture quality out of the box, so I keep buying them. :)
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Mike, ask some people who owned the JVC-D Theater decks! There are tons of posts from people who were sick of JVC's lack of quality control. I had two versions of these from JVC and it took me literally FOUR DECKS before I got one that worked properly. I kid you not. AVS is filled with posts like this about these JVC decks.

But I do find they have the best picture quality out of the box, so I keep buying them. :)
You could be very right about what you are saying, but it appears that you are bashing all JVC decks based on the problems with one model.

Also, what kind of deck are these, if they are affecting the picture quality? Old, VHS decks? DV or HDV is just 1's and 0's, no picture quality change.

Best of luck---Mike
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Trustee

No Mike, the D-Theater decks are JVC's premiere decks. They're fully digital (D-VHS) but also are terrific VHS & SVHS decks. When working properly, they probably have the best picture quality of any JVC I've owned. But as I said, it's when they're working properly.

If you've ever followed this on the AVS forum, it almost became comical as people kept swapping them out due to horrendous tracking issues.
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
No Mike, the D-Theater decks are JVC's premiere decks. They're fully digital (D-VHS) but also are terrific VHS & SVHS decks. When working properly, they probably have the best picture quality of any JVC I've owned. But as I said, it's when they're working properly.

If you've ever followed this on the AVS forum, it almost became comical as people kept swapping them out due to horrendous tracking issues.
So the quality issue only applies to the analog side, but what problem is generally encountered in operating the deck?

Then it is probably time to stop our hijacking of this thread! :)

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders