HV20 loose noise sound inside? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1
New Boot

HV20 loose noise sound inside?

Hi all

Picked up an HV20 over the weekend, nice camera. However if I gently shake the camera with the power off I hear a warbling loose sound coming from inside the camera, as close as I can make out it's coming from lens area of the camera. Once I place the camera in the record mode the wobbling loose sound seems to tighten up a bit, just barely audible, the amount of travel from the loose part is feels a lot less.

Anyone else have the same symptoms with their HV20?

Regards, John
John W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W Cook View Post
Hi all

Picked up an HV20 over the weekend, nice camera. However if I gently shake the camera with the power off I hear a warbling loose sound coming from inside the camera, as close as I can make out it's coming from lens area of the camera. Once I place the camera in the record mode the wobbling loose sound seems to tighten up a bit, just barely audible, the amount of travel from the loose part is feels a lot less.

Anyone else have the same symptoms with their HV20?

Regards, John
Hi John.

I noticed the same thing with my HV20. I just figured it was the IS lens, but I am not 100% sure of that.
Jacob Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Same thing here. It might be the zoom lens assembly. I believe that's it's normal.

Chris Hurd mentions this about the DVX100 in this thread:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=6668

Last edited by Ian Albinson; April 3rd, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #4
New Boot

OK, thanks, sounds like you are both hearing the same thing.

I'll get out this weekend and find a demo unit here local and see if it sounds/acts the same.

Regards, John
John W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't have an HV20 but I believe what you are hearing is the optical stabilizer. Turn on the camera. The sound will stop when the stabilizer is powered.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Major Player

That's funny, I noticed the same thing with my HV20. It doesn't sound like anything bad, just peculiar.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Jeff is right; it's just the OIS mechanism.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #8
New Boot

Glad to hear my assumption that the sound was the OIS is shared.

I've noticed two other build issues in my HV20 that makes it not seem as solidly built as Sony's typically are. (I owned a HC3 for about 12 hours).

1. The tape compartment does not close to a snug fit. Has a slight jiggle to it that makes the camera seem more fragile than it probably is.
2. The battery is slightly loose when attached. I've put an adhesive felt pad at the top of the battery compartment that cut it out completely.
Adam McGilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam McGilvray View Post

1. The tape compartment does not close to a snug fit. Has a slight jiggle to it that makes the camera seem more fragile than it probably is.
2. The battery is slightly loose when attached. I've put an adhesive felt pad at the top of the battery compartment that cut it out completely.
These are not signs of poor quality, they are signs of simplicity. They are not only acceptable but can lead to longer lasting components.

From years in the machining business, I can tell you that the tighter the fit on components the more chances of things going wrong. Wear, tear and stress!

The simple latch mechanism on the HV20 tape door simply means that is has less tension when closed and less chance of small tolerance changes and pressure stress that could allow it to go bad. You want it tighter???, just bend the little metal tab on the front of the compartment!!! It will be nice and tight but it just adds stress to the unit.

Same with the battery mount, the only time it would be an issue is if you decide to shake the camera violently, making some noise and I doubt that would deliver good useable video anyway.

Most of the time, very simple mechanisms last longer.

Mike
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #10
New Boot

Interesting take on it. Thanks for sharing.
Adam McGilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #11
Major Player

I bought a genuine Canon BP-2L14 and I can confirm that the battery feels loose/rattles on the HV20.

I too, will probably will get a felt pad to butt it up.

I plan on flying the HV20 on my old Hollywood Lite VS-1 Ultralite...and a loose battery is NOT acceptable.

It's a easy fix, but I have NEVER seen a battery that "loose" on ANY camcorder..and that includes a cheapo Hitachi Digital 8 and my Sony PDX10.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Too tight a fit is definitely not good, but depending on the component, especially moving parts, too loose a fit will cause increase wear and tear. The main issue here is whether the loose tape cover and battery will introduce noise that can be picked up by the mic. Every equipment must be designed for the correct fit which isn't quite the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
From years in the machining business, I can tell you that the tighter the fit on components the more chances of things going wrong. Wear, tear and stress!
Mike
Bert Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Na View Post
Too tight a fit is definitely not good, but depending on the component, especially moving parts, too loose a fit will cause increase wear and tear. The main issue here is whether the loose tape cover and battery will introduce noise that can be picked up by the mic. Every equipment must be designed for the correct fit which isn't quite the case here.
There is a difference between moving parts and latches/catches etc.

No noise is introduced.

Yes, it is a correct fit.

Mike
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
I bought a genuine Canon BP-2L14 and I can confirm that the battery feels loose/rattles on the HV20.

I too, will probably will get a felt pad to butt it up.

same here.... I can't figure out why Canon would make
the BP-2L14 in a different shape...

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...885#post654885
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Keep in mind that the BP-2L14 has been in production for at least 3 years. I notice that it's been available as an additional battery since the Optura 30/40 first started shipping. May have even been available before that.
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders