24p blues in the Red Light district at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1
New Boot

24p blues in the Red Light district

Here's some more footage, this time in Kabukicho. I missed out on the cherry blossoms so thought I'd head over to the red light district :)

I shot this in 24pf Cinemode and edited it in Vegas trying to keep everything 24p all the time including rendering to WMV HD.

However, with further research, it appears this "pulldown" thing isn't just going to work automatically and you have to jump through a few hoops to get true 24p.

Here it is anyway. Colors are softer. Think I'll stick with interlaced until they come out with a quick 'n dirty way to do the 24p thing.

http://rapidshare.com/files/25353543/Kabukicho.wmv.html
Randall E. Drapeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well color me doo doo brown if that didn't look amazing. Great editting and it looked veeerrryyy film like to me. Amazing.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
New Boot

Slick. Loved it. Really shows off how good the HV20's contrast is.
Mark Patrick Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Very nice. I hear no audio. Did you strip the audio off?

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Pretty darned amazing performance. Good looking shots too! Thanks for sharing :)

Barlow
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks a lot for the nice comments.

I did, indeed, take out the audio thinking I could save precious space.

I'm going to say that the Cinemode probably is entirely responsible for the more filmish look as it seems doubtful that this really is 24p since I didn't go through those pulldown steps.

Anyway, the important thing is, this is just an incredible camera, especially for the price.
Randall E. Drapeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #7
Tourist

This is fantastic night-time footage. Colors are soft, but this is more than made up for by the lack of noise. I can't find any grain whatsoever. Can you please tell me how you accomplished this? I'm shooting low-light and can't avoid the noise. Were there any custom settings other than Cine 24p? Any post-processing to remove noise?

Thanks for any info!
Steven Lambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #8
New Boot

Steven,

One thing I can say, there wasn't any post-processing. I use Vegas and I love it but it's way beyond my meager abilities.

This was one of the first things I shot with the cam (and several months ago) and all I remember was putting it into 24p and Cinemode. I don't think I changed anything else so it was probably the way it was out of the box.

Edited it in Vegas on what I guess was a 60i timeline (or whatever that's called) and that's the way it came out.

As far as lack of noise, maybe it's because I shot mostly into a lot of stuff with bright lights? I dunno.

I don't want to jump through all the hoops to get true 24p and I'm holding off for now on the Cineform product. Now I'm shooting just the regular interlaced way and often put it into Cinemode and occasionally make some other random adjustments. It gets deinterlaced in Vegas and looks pretty good, I think.

I think those softer colors give it the more film like look so I tend to just kind of leave it that way. Anyway, depends on what I'm shooting.

That in mind, here's something else that was shot regular interlaced without Cinemode.

http://www.vimeo.com/463565

Good luck!
Randall E. Drapeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders