Capture HDMI to Portable Hard Drive - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Ian,

As you I have often wondered how it could be possible that HDMI does NOT carry a price tag of $ 3.000, which happens to be the main difference between the Canon A1 and G1, and where the difference is the HD-SDI interface and still deliver the same functionality?
Besides the fact, that the Cannon G1 offers additional features like genlock capability, the price difference between the A1 and G1 is caused more by product politics than technical requirements. Consumer HDMI ports are cheaper to implement than SDI ports (done with dedicated ICs or FPGAs), but the price difference between both type of interfaces should not exceed $ 600. External HDMI to SDI converters are now available for $ 500.
Heinz Bihlmeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #17
Tourist

if the recording via HDMI works it would be possible to record at the same time on tape?
And I ask myself if someone has already buy an intesity card to do some test...
Emiliano Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #18
Major Player

There have been more than one report of the Intensity being incompatible with the HV20 at this time, at least for the 1080i stream.
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #19
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
There have been more than one report of the Intensity being incompatible with the HV20 at this time, at least for the 1080i stream.
Would you be so kind to post some link about that?
Emiliano Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #20
Major Player

We've been discussing this over in the Cineform software showcase forum.

If you have any of the HDV camcorders with an HDMI port, you can hook those up live to a card like the BlackMagic Intensity (PCI Express) in a desktop, or a PCI Express enclosure connected to a laptop vie an ExpressCard (http://www.mobl.com/expansion/produc...ressbox1.html).

From here if you have any of the Cineform software packages, you can encode directly to Cineform at data rates the laptop hard drive can handle, in real time.

If you have AspectHD you're stuck with 1440x1080, but if you get NEO HD, ProspectHD and up, you get 1920x1080 10-bit. (Not that the HV20 is outputting 10-bit over the HDMI, but 8-bit uncompressed is nothing to pout about).

EDIT: One should note that this is a solution that is available today. Ideally, BlackMagic will produce the Intensity as an ExpressCard, then the solution will be more portable, and not require an enclosure.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Does HDMI give out a 4:2:2 signal and how does the up-converting work when starting with a 4:2:0 tape recorded signal?
4:2:0 is 4:2:2, just alternately "omits" half the chroma "2:2" signal every frame. So a 4:2:0 signal half the time is "4:0:2" and then "4:2:0". A regular system will read a 4:2:0 as 4:2:2 I believe and really see it as something out of the ordinary.

I intend to capture the 4:2:2 video from the Canon HV20 LIVE via Component to my Mac Pro's Decklink HD w/RAID at a very high bitrate (bypassing HDV) - so the same thing as the HDMI capture, but with Component. I'll keep this Forum updated to how it goes, and what I find out.
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White View Post
From here if you have any of the Cineform software packages, you can encode directly to Cineform at data rates the laptop hard drive can handle, in real time.

If you have AspectHD you're stuck with 1440x1080, but if you get NEO HD, ProspectHD and up, you get 1920x1080 10-bit.
It was my understanding that Aspect HD could not be used as a live capture solution. When did this change?
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #23
Regular Crew

A Black Magic Intensity card in an Express Card 34 form would be brilliant!
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #24
New Boot

I agree a Black Magic card in laptop form would be great. But if this can be done, why not go one step further and tie the BLack Magic technology to a portable SATAII hard drive (maybe even two in a RAID config)? It would be much more portable.
Keith Knuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson View Post
It was my understanding that Aspect HD could not be used as a live capture solution. When did this change?
I don't know exactly, but check their website: http://cineform.com/products/default.htm
HDMI input from the BlackMagic intensity is supported in their latest round of updates, as is HD-SDI w/o timecode. You have to go to Prospect to get the timecode options.

No slouches those Cineform guys ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Knuth View Post
I agree a Black Magic card in laptop form would be great. But if this can be done, why not go one step further and tie the BLack Magic technology to a portable SATAII hard drive (maybe even two in a RAID config)? It would be much more portable.
The problem is that you need about 4 striped hard drives working perfectly to be able sustain uncompressed data rates - so that's pretty heavy duty. If you're willing to accept Cineform as a stellar acquisition format, then you're down to single hard drive bit-rates and an intel Core 2 Duo laptop.

What you really want is a solid state hard drive and Cineform to be embedded in the camera... but we're not there yet for a consumer camcorder.

-Steve
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White View Post
We've been discussing this over in the Cineform software showcase forum.
Steve,

Can you provide a link please?

Thanks ...
Gavin Ouckama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #27
Major Player

Sure:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88466

-Steve
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #28
Major Player

Has anyone seen this? Announced yesterday.

AJA io HD

io HD + MacBook Pro = portable visually lossless capture on the cheap
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #29
New Boot

hmm... around 1300$ for the hole package? (black magic card, Magma expressbox, magma expresscard) thats to much for me!
Andreas Dahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #30
New Boot

Wow. The Aja product looks great.
Another manufacturer should be able to work out a firewire or HDMI connected piece of hardware that has the Cineform Codec built in (instead of the Apple ProRes 422 Codec). I would think a device like that without all the bells & whistles of the AJA product could sell for under $1000. Again, such a product would appeal to the low-budget film producer as well as some in the pro-sumer crowd.
Keith Knuth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders