DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Five HV20 clips, a running creek, a zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/91437-five-hv20-clips-running-creek-zoom.html)

Ken Ross April 14th, 2007 09:15 PM

Well I've got the compressed folder on my desktop, but the zipped file won't open. I get a prompt that says it's 'corrupt or invalid'.

Glenn Thomas April 15th, 2007 12:14 AM

Nice looking clips. I would be interested to see them in true 24p though.

Jason Brown April 15th, 2007 05:09 AM

can someone upload them to another file service. filefactory limits downloads.

Thanks

Wes Vasher April 15th, 2007 09:04 AM

Sorry everyone. I'm working on getting the clips up somewhere.

Glenn, they should all be true 24p, just with pull-down added. I'd remove the pull-down but that'd mean re-rendering and losing quality.

Fergus Anderson April 15th, 2007 03:40 PM

Managed to download these Wes

Fantastic stuff! The river clip particularly looked like film to me - both with the motion and the gamma curve. Although I think its slightly too soft I do concede that it adds to to filmic quality of the mage.

Cant wait to get mine!

Any more samples with (or without) cine mode at 1/48 and above would be most welcome!

Glenn Thomas April 15th, 2007 05:26 PM

Hi Wes, not a problem. That pull down must be difficult to work with at times?

Wes Vasher April 15th, 2007 07:52 PM

Hey Glenn, well I haven't really edited anything with it yet so it hasn't given me a headache. All I've done is some fx shots which is what I bought it for so I'm dealing with individual shots and it's not too bad. I just import the video into after effects and tell it to remove the pull-down and it does it for me auto-magically.

Wes Vasher April 15th, 2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson (Post 660737)
Managed to download these Wes

Fantastic stuff! The river clip particularly looked like film to me - both with the motion and the gamma curve. Although I think its slightly too soft I do concede that it adds to to filmic quality of the mage.

Cant wait to get mine!

Any more samples with (or without) cine mode at 1/48 and above would be most welcome!

Thanks Fergus! The softness is simply the electronic edge sharpening being turned down. I've done tests with the unsharp mask in After Effects and to my eye I can get better sharpening in AE than from the camera. Though I've actually come to like the softness of non-sharpened video from the HV20, looks more smooth and filmic to me.

I really liked the river clip too, I thought the color and gamma looked so nice. Cine mode rules!

Wes Vasher April 15th, 2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson (Post 660737)

Here are some frame grabs...

Aperture priority mode versus cine mode
Here the cine mode saves more detail in the dark areas but you lose control over the aperture, you can get a nicer DOF with the aperture priority mode.

A couple more frame grabs with cine mode...
Frame grab 1
Frame grab 2

Jason Brown April 16th, 2007 03:18 AM

could you upload them to snapdrive.net?

thanks again

Wes Vasher April 16th, 2007 07:04 AM

Jason, I uploaded a couple clips from the cine test above. There's not much to see other than some motion.

It looks like there is a little color fringing around the subject's hair in this zoom shot but I can't say for sure.

24 MB

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/40125...r_clips_07.zip

Jason Brown April 16th, 2007 12:17 PM

Hey thanks Wes. preciate it.

hey im a AM student also. small world... er.. internet.

Wes Vasher April 16th, 2007 12:40 PM

I like how Snapdrive has a simple link for files... none of that click click click, garbled code, click click click... download failed!

AM rules! I'm going to animate one of my own models into an HV20 plate pretty soon I hope. It's all coming together. :)

Jason Brown April 17th, 2007 04:17 AM

yep, snapdrive.net is great. wish more would use it instead.