HV20 Upside Down with Letus35a Avoids Edit Flip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Hmmm. I wondered if it had something to do with my monitors, both LCD.
Are you using LCD. See this thread for others discussiong it. I also posted a red bucket short clip there.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91260

Red Bucket: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...4&d=1176320138
Yeah, I have a Dell 21" LCD. I see the vibrating red in that short clip quite clearly. It also shows up on an old Gateway CRT I have attached to my PC as well. I'll have to go back and look at the other clips mentioned earlier.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Another Letus Clip

Here is another letus clip. This one shot with 50mm Nikon F1.4 at about f4 or F5.6. I put a polarizer on the front end, a SunPak C-P.L. I put it up on Megauploads again.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7O4735R0
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Zooming for maximum frame fill

My experience with the HV20 is that to avoid any vignetting using the Letus, you need to zoom in as much as possible without losing focus. The best way to do this is to set zoom speed in the menu to its slowest level, so you can inch it forward. To that point. The variable setting makes it difficult to to that.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #19
Major Player

How are you dealing with the LCD?

Chris,

These Canons are too smart for me. While inverted, the LCD adjusts so the image still isn't "right-side up" though the captured image no longer needs rotation. Which flip method are you using to deal with this? I've tried mirrors but they're not viewable at all angles. And I'm leery of hacking the case to get at the sensor.

Last edited by Mike Dulay; April 17th, 2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: correction
Mike Dulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, until you see the reasoning behind it. Dennis Wood at Cinevate a graphic that showed why that happens, and after you see it, it makes sense. Did you make yourself an mount ? Show us if you did...

I find myself as I use it, getting better at shooting upside down. The real answer, is separate flipable LCD screen. What I find myself doing is looking at the subject or place I want to pan to out of one eye, and recognize that I need to pan it that way to avoid confusion.

I actually have DVD player I bought at Walmart for 99 bucks that flips the image and has input. I use to velcro it to my DIY spinner adapter, but I haven't tested it with the Letus/HV20 combo. In best of worlds, we would have about a five inch battery operated HD monitor on board. Got cash ??
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #21
Major Player

I better take a peak at the cinevate forum then, hope that post is easy to find. 8-) No, I haven't made a mount yet, but I do use a monopod so I just flipped it. I'm learning to frame inverted but it's confusing when switching between normal and inverted on the same day.

A small format HD LCD with zoom would be nice wouldn't it? But I already spent my money on the camcorder. 8-)

Found the image:
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~smithdm/upside.html

And the links:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...ght=LCD+invert
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...ght=LCD+invert

Last edited by Mike Dulay; April 17th, 2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Found it!
Mike Dulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dulay View Post
Wow, that's a mind-bender. I can only explain it to myself by saying that in the inverted camcorder position, both the CCD and the LCD screen have been given a 180-degree turn, which totals 360 degrees and leaves the adapter image inverted as before. If only the CCD or only the LCD screen could be flipped, the resulting image in the LCD screen would be right side up.

Does the "magnet trick" work on the HV 20?
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
Wow, that's a mind-bender. I can only explain it to myself by saying that in the inverted camcorder position, both the CCD and the LCD screen have been given a 180-degree turn, which totals 360 degrees and leaves the adapter image inverted as before. If only the CCD or only the LCD screen could be flipped, the resulting image in the LCD screen would be right side up.

Does the "magnet trick" work on the HV 20?
No magnet trick. In this camera, it is a micro switch that switches the LCD to flip. I saw a mod for it, but man, I didn't want to open the camera up at this point....
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #24
Major Player

The flip hack (unlike the HVX and GS400) on the HV20 is just vertical...not horizontal so it's like looking at a mirror.

EDIT: There is a second switch to allow inversion and reversion...nice!
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Here is a test shot with the newmount. Sure seems like quality is better when you don't have to flip first.

I am seeing a problem with "vibrating" reds with this camera and letus. See the toy car behind the girl.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y2763PSV

I hate to say it man but that was god awful. Lots of flashing horizontal lines as you moved the camera. Makes me nervous now to buy a Letus. Keep posting that vid around and you will run them out of business quick! LOL

Seriously I would e-mail the guy that makes it and tell him to watch the vid and tell you why it's doing that. That is really bad.
Anthony Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vincent View Post
I hate to say it man but that was god awful. Lots of flashing horizontal lines as you moved the camera. Makes me nervous now to buy a Letus. Keep posting that vid around and you will run them out of business quick! LOL

Seriously I would e-mail the guy that makes it and tell him to watch the vid and tell you why it's doing that. That is really bad.
Ouch, Anthony! ;)

Those "flashing horizontal lines" you see are interlacing artifacts. Chris recorded the footage in 24p and did NOT remove the pulldown. So unless you play the clip in a player capable of deinterlacing (I personally use PowerDVD) you will see those lines (not on TV though). They are neither caused by the camera itself nor the Letus. The clip is perfectly ok and the quality is just awesome! Sweet footage, Chris! The one with the girl talking about her old "naaaaaasty" shoes made me "Awwwwwwwwwwww!"! ;)

And if Chris keeps posting that vid around, chances are high he will boost selling of both the HV20 and the Letus35! ;)
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vincent View Post

Hey Anthony, as Enea said, it ain't the camera or the adapter. Its your player. I did not take time to remove pull down, on these shots, as they are intended for demo. I figured you wizards out there would mess with that, if you want to see how it works. It plays for me fine in even Windows Media player. What are you using..
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Oh ok. LOL

I thought I was having a seizure for a minute!

Seriously is clean footage besides those lines. I played it back with VLC Media Player.
Anthony Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #29
Regular Crew

HI Chris,

Thanks for all the info, any chance of some new (less shakey pics) of the mount and set up.. no offence to your photography skills.
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quinn:

Try this link, where I posted maybe a better pic. Just not at home now to do a new one, actually on a telephone modem... yuck...

http://www.hv20.com/attachment.php?a...3&d=1176577958

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders