Telephoto at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Telephoto

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking for a little while now during which time I've been testing out my Shiny new HV20 and after a few weeks of ownership thus far it still manages to amaze me. It really is a special piece of technology. If theres a better bang for the buck outside of prosumer I wont believe a thing you say!

Anyway, I have the wide angle lens on order already and am considering the telephoto as well (always good to have options). I was wondering if anyone had experience with the telephoto lens for this camera yet and whether or not you guys feel it delivers enough effect for the cost ($230 here in the great white north). My thinking is that since this is still the consumer realm the telephoto effect offered by the additional lens may be substandard. Since no one has them in stock yet around here I cant go try one out. If that changes anytime soon Ill do it and let you guys know how it looks myself.

As for what Im shooting Im working on a 20 minute short that I most likely wont get around to shooting until early next year so thats a moot point but I am however planning to do a shoot at the zoo in the next month so being able to perform a variety of different shots with different lenses would be great.

Love to hear what you guys think.Keep up the great work out there, this forum is a beautiful thing!! Talk to you later!

Last edited by Gerry Goto; April 16th, 2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typos
Gerry Goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For still image cameras (like the Canon EOS series), a teleconverter gives bad result on cheap lenses. Standard non-L series lenses will look more bad when used with a TC converter than if you upsample in Photoshop. There a teleconverter is only worth it if you also have the $1000 lenses.

For video I see this different, as the cost of zoom / resizing on the computer is probably pretty high in terms of time. So here it might make sense.

Personally, I consider a quality 3rd party wide in the 0.5 - 0.6 range. Ie. a bit wider than the Canon.
Povl H. Pedersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders