Rode VideoMic and the Canon HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Just cancelled my order for the HV20, mainly due to these overwhelming sound issues. I am not going to be using off-camera mics, and I do not want a buzzing or whining noise in my audio. Unfortunate, because this is about the only thing I can see that's seriously wrong with the camera. I'll keep playing with a Sony HC90, until something even more perfect than the HV20 comes along.
Andrew Swihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #17
Inner Circle

On Page 61 of the HV20 manual it reads.... "When recording in very quiet surroundings, the built-in microphone may pick up the sound of the camcorder's internal machinery. In such cases, we recommend using an external microphone"

But Chris, with ref to your 'noisy' audio test in post 13, to me that pronounced 'hiss' sounds like HV20 mic pre-amp noise combined with some tape noise.

If you haven't done this, try turning the mic attenuator off (P61) and with the same recording conditions turn the internal mic. recording level up to read peaks near zero when recording. And I'd get a bit closer to the camera mic. to get a clearer voice sound. Good examples btw.
HTH Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Chris,

Could you post a picture of the HV20 with the DXA-4 beachtek + ME66?
I think it sounded quite good in your test. Thanks for doing this.

The only concern I have is that this it's quite a big attachment and for vacation video's too big?

Thanks
Luc
Luc Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Swihart View Post
Peter, I don't believe the SMX-10 comes with a shockmount, unless you hooked one up after the fact. I would prefer a shockmount, to mitigate handling noise.
Andrew - posted some pics of the SMX-10 with the SM3 here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92847
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Luc:

See post #88 in this thread: Have pics there.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=90504&page=6
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:15 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot. Yeah doesn't look like a setup for vacation videos (especially not for hiking).

I'm also contemplating to go for the HV10 or take a chance with the HV20 and return it if I get a not so good unit (Costco has it now and they have a great return policy).
Luc Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Chris, thanks for posting the audio test. I was surprised also at the amount of noise from the onboard mic. Of course you wouldn't expect the best audio quality from a camera this cheap.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #23
Inner Circle

No, its not a Mike you could even squeeze by with. Seems to pick up a lot of camera noise. When I mount my telephoto on it, even seems to get worse.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #24
Major Player

Noise update with Rode Videomic?

I'm considering purchasing a HV20 and I presently own a Rode Videomic and love it. Are people still having noise issues with Videomic and the HV20? Is anyone happy using the Videomic with the HV20? Thanks.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I second David Jasanys question.
Will the Rode Videomic eliminate most of the camera noise from the HV20?
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Grahn View Post
I second David Jasanys question.
Will the Rode Videomic eliminate most of the camera noise from the HV20?
Ronnie, I saw on another HV20 forum that many people were happy using the Videomic with the HV20. I'm probably not going to buy the HV20 so I can't give you feedback on how well it works for me.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #27
New Boot

I love my Videomic so far.
Victor Horz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #28
Tourist

Fine so far

I've been using the videomic for a couple of weeks, largely indoors in an apartment with rubber floors.

If the environment is very quiet, you're definitely going to hear tape noise/hiss, even though it is vastly reduced from the onboard mic.

The videomic is a low price consumer solution. Similarly, the HV20 is an cheap HDV camera which has not been designed to tick every box. It's mindless to expect flawless quality from either of these products in combination.

If you bear this in mind, the videomic delivers crisp, clear sound for improved home movies, and for its price, it's a doozy.
Matthew Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Newman View Post
I've been using the videomic for a couple of weeks, largely indoors in an apartment with rubber floors.

If the environment is very quiet, you're definitely going to hear tape noise/hiss, even though it is vastly reduced from the onboard mic.

The videomic is a low price consumer solution. Similarly, the HV20 is an cheap HDV camera which has not been designed to tick every box. It's mindless to expect flawless quality from either of these products in combination.

If you bear this in mind, the videomic delivers crisp, clear sound for improved home movies, and for its price, it's a doozy.
Thanks Matthew. Good to hear you're have reasonable success with the Videomic and HV20 combo. I've been using a Videomic for 2-3 years on my 9 year old Canon Elura and the audio is excellent. I've never heard any camera noise even in quiet environments. For the money, I think the Videomic is an excellent mic and a bargain. Even when recording with my Elura's internal mic camera noise is unaudible.
David Jasany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders