Is HDV pointless unless you have an HDTV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is HDV pointless unless you have an HDTV?

is there no point in taping in hdv unless you have a hd-enabled monitor/screen to watch the footage on?
Roland Gatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gatto View Post
is there no point in taping in hdv unless you have a hd-enabled monitor/screen to watch the footage on?
I know that people say or imply things like that, but I disagree. I don't have an HD enabled screen and I can tell you that I can definitely see the amazing clarity and resolution difference between HDV and DV footage.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm using my HV20 for effects shots... I have no HD capable display.
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Not really, most computer monitors today can display 1280x720 no problem... 1920 x 1080 is slightly harder to get...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gatto View Post
I have a 21" monitor, set to a resolution of 1280 x 1024. As I do many, but very short movies of about 2 to 5 minutes, I usually watch them on my computer. For this reason I render all footage to 1280 x 720 and receive a absolutely outstanding quality. HDV is also great to downconvert it to PAL / NTSC with a great output quality. And - If you have your stuff recorderd in HDV you can always downconvert it, if you have no device to watch it on and still have the source material in full resolution for the future.

If SD is all you have, you will never be able to make HDV out of it. ;-)

I record and edit everything in HDV, afterwards I render it in the original size with 25 mbps for my archive for future use and to the formats I need right now, what usually is 1280 x 720 or PAL.

Regards,

Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Because of the much higher original resolution you suffer much less from imperfections on pixel level such as noise, charge bleeding, maybe fringing, but most of all color resolution decrease because of the primary color filter and YUV 4:2:0 color compression, etc. That is provided you shoot in HD and go SD in post. My guess is you will see the difference!
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Oliver, you make a good point about being able to downgrade to SD, but not upgrade to HD.

Thanks for the responses, folks!
Roland Gatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #8
Trustee

I can't begin to explain the difference between seeing the output of an HV20 on a non-HDTV and a true HDTV. To say the difference is dramatic is an understatement. You can't begin to see the power of this tiny tool until you see its output on a nice sized HDTV.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I can't begin to explain the difference between seeing the output of an HV20 on a non-HDTV and a true HDTV. To say the difference is dramatic is an understatement.
When you say "non-HDTV", are you meaning an SDTV? Or are you referring to any kind of screen that's not an HDTV.

My computer monitor falls into the non-HDTV category and, as I said in my initial post here, I disagree with the assertion that there's no point in shooting HDV unless you own an HD monitor because the difference between HDV and SD images on my computer monitor are extremely obvious.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
Not really, most computer monitors today can display 1280x720 no problem... 1920 x 1080 is slightly harder to get...
That's true of course. I work at 1600x1200 on my CRT and that is more than enough to play the native 1440x1080 HDV files.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

My video shot in HDV (Canon XH A1) edited in Prem Pro 2 and then exported at DV is definitely superior to the video shot in DV by my GL-2 and XL-1s. I am now spoiled by HD, all DV shot by any of my camcorders just seem less vivid. However, the DV product is definitely better starting at a resolution better than a studio cam and downscaled in Post gives max SD resolution vs DV at only 500 vs 700 max SD.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I can't begin to explain the difference between seeing the output of an HV20 on a non-HDTV and a true HDTV. To say the difference is dramatic is an understatement. You can't begin to see the power of this tiny tool until you see its output on a nice sized HDTV.
Ken's right. Displaying HDV on a high resolution computer monitor is far less satisfying than on a proper HDTV. Yes, you can see it in full resolution, but a larger screen HDTV with home entertainment quality deinterlacing makes HDV a stunning presentation. And if you have an HV20 with its HDMI output, even better.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher View Post
That's true of course. I work at 1600x1200 on my CRT and that is more than enough to play the native 1440x1080 HDV files.
Psh...

I run at 2048 x 1280 and my second screen at 1280 x 1024...

I used to run at 1920 x 1200... but went a bit higher :)

Highest my monitor can do is like 2330 x 1440

24" Widescreen CRT ;)
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garvin View Post
When you say "non-HDTV", are you meaning an SDTV? Or are you referring to any kind of screen that's not an HDTV.

My computer monitor falls into the non-HDTV category and, as I said in my initial post here, I disagree with the assertion that there's no point in shooting HDV unless you own an HD monitor because the difference between HDV and SD images on my computer monitor are extremely obvious.
Yes David, I'm talking about a typical NTSC standard definition TV. I'm not saying there's no point in buy an HDV camcorder if you don't have an HDTV, but I am saying that you can't begin to see the power of the tool until you have one.

I am all for shooting your memories in HD even if you don't have an HDTV since that HD tape will always be ready to expose its full glory when you do buy an HDTV. And let's face it, you eventually will have an HDTV. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
Psh...

I run at 2048 x 1280 and my second screen at 1280 x 1024...

I used to run at 1920 x 1200... but went a bit higher :)

Highest my monitor can do is like 2330 x 1440

24" Widescreen CRT ;)
Yeah... well... I have a mouse with blinky lights! So there. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders