Battery Pack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Battery Pack

Not happy with battery times on HV20. Not irate, just not happy. Anyone know of/using a battery pack for the HV20? I'd like something that would give me 2 - 3 hours even if using the LCD display and mic shoe on the top. Bob
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Major Player

The Canon BP-2L14 at 53 bucks looks like a no-brainer to me.
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I went with the Lenmar LIC2L12 for $25 from Amazon. It's rated at 7.4v 1500mAh and carries a 3 Year Warranty.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Are you sure it's the LIC2L12? I looked it up on Amazon and it's only rated at 1250mAh...

I sent my wife to grab an HV-20 and a spare battery today from my local camera shop which I had pre-ordered. I asked them for the canon BP-2L14. What they sold me is a promaster equivalent for the "NB-2L14". It's rated for 1500mah, but only 7.2V. Will this work?

(I'm thinking of not even trying it, but returning it as they charged me more than what the Canon BP-2L14 is normally listed for...)
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Major Player

It seems there's a BP-2L18 being sold online (3rd party) which is 2000mAh 7.4v and is supposedly compatible with the BP-2L14 (Canon's 1450mAh). I'm comparing a "BP-2L12" 3rd Party and an Original Canon- BP-2L14 and their physical dimensions and look are the same. The specs are similar at 1450mAh/7.4v Of course I can't tell the build quality internally nor can I find any specs beyond that. Canon probably doesn't manufacture the batteries themselves. Unless either one gets dropped and cracked, is there any real harm to using noname Batteries?
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Major Player

There are a lot of supposedly "compatible" batteries being offered, and all sorts of claims as to their capacity, longer life, etc. Some are backed by long warranties.

My experience with these products has been almost entirely negative. Most consumers have no way of really knowing how well the battery is internally designed, how long it will actually continue to hold a long charge, and whether it will develop leaks. The manufacturers' warranties may also have weasel-worded language to exclude such things as "normal wear" to escape any real responsibility.

I personally prefer to go with the same brand (Canon) battery which (unlike Sony's lithium ion batteries) is very fairly priced. (I paid over $100 for Sony's 3-hr battery for my HC3 camcorder just a few months ago). The Canon at around $50 seems to work great, and is honestly rated.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Westphal View Post
Are you sure it's the LIC2L12? I looked it up on Amazon and it's only rated at 1250mAh...
It is incorrectly listed on Amazon. The current model of the Lenmar LIC2L12 is 1500mAh (as spec'd on Lenmar.com), and that's what I received, as did a friend, from Amazon.

I've been using 3rd party batts on my Rebel XT for a couple of years and haven't had any issues. I do think the potential for failure is higher with these kinds of products, but that's the chance you take.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian

placing an order now...
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Lenmar LIC2L12

IAN, Thanks!

Even the packaging is labeled as 1300mah, but the batteries themselves are labelled as 7.4V 1500mah. You can't see that until you cut open the blister pak.
(I'm charging them tonight and I'll test them tomorrow at the Red Stick International Animation Festival. I'm the documentarian.)
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Major Player

My $40 Impact brand from BHPhoto Video gets me the same amount of filming time as the $8 packs from Ebay (HV10 though)

I never get 2 full hours out of a battery pack...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi guys,

Got my cam today - feels lovely! ... But abit "naked" with only one battery! I'm in europe - have found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/For-Canon-BP-2...QQcmdZViewItem

whaddya think? :-)

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders