1080P24 - does it makes sense for DVD and TV showing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1
New Boot

1080P24 - does it makes sense for DVD and TV showing?

Hi, I am wondering if I should shoot a project using PF24 preset on HV20 and edit it in 1080p24 timeline in Final Cut if the project is going to end up on DVD and for TV showing? I am not very technically adept yet, but I heard that in order to play back DVD or show something on TV it has to be 29.97fps not 24fps.

I guess my question really is what would be a better workflow for the HV20 knowing that a project will end up on DVD or TV (or even online)? At the same time I'd love to have 24p quality. Movies played back on TV or DVD still have that 24fps quality to them and video looks video, so 24p is MUCH MUCH desirable if it makes sense in this case.

Also, TV and DVD don't support yet 1080P or 1080i for that matter so what's the better workflow in that regard too.

Sorry if its a stupid question. I hope it makes sense.

Thanks you so much.

Ray
Ray Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Contributor

the best workflow would be to shoot 24p and not remove the pulldown, and edit in a 60i timeline. although i'm not sure how the interlacing works when you down rez it, as i haven't made anything SD for tv viewing. if you're going strictly to dvd and/or web i'd shoot 24 and remove the pulldown to make it a real 23.89 timeline, and then author a 24p dvd, as most dvd players, if not all support 24fps dvds (correct me if i'm wrong anybody). doing it this way will also use less bandwidth on the disk, and if you do push it out to the web, it will use less bandwidth there as well and look better, than using the 24-in-60i. hope that is clear enough.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Disclaimer: I am a newbie and this is my first camera. That said-

I have already shot a few tapes with my HV20 in the 24P cine mode and I can tell you that you can set the HV20 in playback to DV or HDV. So you should probably shoot everything in this mode if you like the way it looks. Then you can decide to capture it from the camera in DV or HDV and then also decide if you want to do anything to make it true editable 24p footage.

I use a Mac also and I can tell you iMovie on my G5 1.8 strains very hard to capture HDV, but FCP5 has no trouble at all and captures in near real time. Not sure why this is, but I though I would mention it. Anyhow, from what I have read on these forums it is not a simple or quick matter to get true 24p from the HV20 (with the possible exception of Final Cut 2 just released).
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys.

What you guys said about shooting in 1080i PF24 makes a lot of sense, since I will have two options, either in capturing as it is 60i and edit it straight 60i, or at any stage capture 24P with pulldown removal, which is pain in the $#% for now.

Now that I think of it: DVDs do author in 24P and they look great. That's true.

Austin, I think if I edit 60i in (having captured in HDV codec) its impossible after to convert it to 24P because Cinema Tools has a problem with HDV codec. If one intends to telecine the footage to 24P in cinema mode, one needs to capture it as AIC codec or something else.

So I guess I will go with 24P in the end.

Does anyone know if Final Cut Studio 2 will have native 1080P24 support for the HV20? That would be a dream come true>>> :)
Ray Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Contributor

i'm fairly certain that imovie captures to AIC, and not HDV, thus the strain.

i doubt FCS2 will have anything hv20 specific, as the stream coming from the hv20 is unflagged, so it just looks like regular 60i to the computer. however canon might could implement something in a firmware upgrade that would flag the stream, and make pulldown removal more automatic. in FCS2 i read that compressor will be able to remove pulldown, and guess the pattern automatically instead of having to do each clip by hand in cinema tools as is the current situation.

you can only remove pulldown from movie files that are i-frame encoded (no b-frames) which means dv, AIC, and a few others work fine, but anything mpeg, or web encoded won't work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders