HV20 Need To Know - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
Thank's Chris.That has cleared things a bit, seems obvious now. I was messing with settings & as I was testing in HDV mode. AWB I believe was on auto. I am wondering if I had A.SL SHUTTER ON. but can not be sure at time. I.AF INSTANT AF. IMG STAB ON. I was swithing from P mode to cine mode.
Unless you want camera setting everything, including having optical stabilizer on, you need to switch the top switch on the tape door side of camera to P.
That gives you access to change menu settings as desired. However, the default setting in P still leave stabilizer on, so you have to go into menu and change that.

Quote:
I dont seem to notice a difference between cine mode & normal.
To play safe on the day I'd better avoid cine mode altogether as I only get one shot. I can see I'm going to have to do a few practice shots in readyness for the day. But any advice on the cams setings I should use and or practice on would be great. From your comments did you mean I should actually shut off OIS ?
If you are going to be tripod mounted, I would. Also, if you are good at shooting a pretty steady camera, hand held, I would also consider it. OIS can be problematic so I try not to use it. But it does have its place. Practice to see what works best for you.

Quote:
I'm also worried being a church with many people that the mic will pick up lots of noise & how close I need to get to the couple for the important bits with preist. I'm doing this as a friend for no gain- Of course he has photographers also - I checked out the canon external mike over £100. and the reviews are not good. My feeling right now is have tripod as much as poss & switch to a mono pod to discreetly wonder around. Something tells me I'm going to have a lot of editing. And I have not done HD before. Priority is to get best footage possible as at least editing can wait and can always be improved from master tape. When I veiwed the initial panning jerkyness & compared with footage next day of faster panning which was ok. I thought it was due to the many coloured large glass windows ie a much greater amount of detail the sensor had to cope with. I need to get hands on a more detailed HV20 manual asap.
Joe

Not the best mic in the world on this camera. It is, afterall, a consumer camera. Wedding pros actually mic the groom, minister, and bride, if they can get away with it, with transmitter mics, or small recorders. (IRiver mp3 recorders, for instance.) For on camera mic, people claim Rode Videomic will work well. But it isn't going to jump out there and get great sound from bride and groom in ceremony..

Good luck in shoot. I've done four family wedding, and added equipment for each one.

HDV is great way to get into HD, but if you are making a DVD, unless you your people have a HD DVD player, and you have the gear to burn HD DVD or Blueray, you will be rendering to standard definition anyway. Vegas does a nice job down converting....if I edit in HDV and render to mpg 2 for DVD.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #17
Major Player

NTSC 24p Inverse Pulldown Threads

Listing the various threads discussing 24p Reverse Pulldown (aka Inverse Telecine/3:2 Pulldown Removal/IVTC) for Windows and Mac. Topics may cross reference one another.

Why?
If you took 24p footage and intend to display on progressive output (not directly via camera, not DVD, not HDV ; right now means Web/PC/Xbox360/PS3) you can remove combing/artifacting using the above method.

Does this matter to PAL?
Not as much. PAL users are blessed with even cadence 50i vs 25p so reverse pulldown is less complicated if necessary.

For Windows Users looking for a "free" software solution
The alternative is Cineform NeoHDV, etc. Method below does a similar process but without the fancy colorspace and other extra professional features.

An automated Vegas 24p workflow..
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=94235
Peter has an external link to his HV20Pulldown.exe which integrates the manual process from the original thread. Ian adds a workflow that saves time and effort for an all 24p project. Despite the thread name, the method is not limited to Vegas.

Capturing HV20 Footage
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91500
All about HDV Split

What "free" 24p workflow for Windows users?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92893
The original thread discussing various ways of doing IVTC

For Mac Users

Improved method for true 24p using JES Deinterlacer
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=JES

My new 24p workflow on the Mac
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=JES
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #18
Major Player

Hey Mike,
I just bought the HV20 to compliment my JVC HD100, and I was wondering if there are any controls over gain. With the HD100 I can turn the gain off, is there a way to do that with the HV20?
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos View Post
Hey Mike,
I just bought the HV20 to compliment my JVC HD100, and I was wondering if there are any controls over gain. With the HD100 I can turn the gain off, is there a way to do that with the HV20?
Hey Jemore this has been heavily discussed in this forum...but to give you a quick answer...there is a trick to turn automatic gain off but as you already know no "real" way to control the gain. Here is a helpful link to a video tutorial provided by Patrick Jennings some months back.
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/canon/hv...urecontrol.mov

...hope this helps....
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders