HV10 in car use problems/advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by muntazeem nazir View Post

Having said that the pitcture is still not very stable. at 100+ mph the picture is so bad it looks like there are 4 cars in front rather than one ! lol

so now im in a dilema....im contemplating ebaying the hv10 for a sony model as iv heard good things about sonys image stabilisation...

am i being too rash?

Which sony would i be looking at to replace this?

tia
The only difference that speed will make is if you have vibrations that come about at higher speed. I can still see your mirror moving in these shots and I think the camera is still not connected to a solid place. Was the image stabilizer on or off? I know it will not handle vibrations as it is designed to dampen smoother movements. If it is on, turn it off.

If you think it is the camera, I would rent or borrow another to test before selling the HV10. It is very easy to mount another and test it.

Personally, I think you have some severe vibrations and not just from the road itself.

Test another camera and let us know. By the way, I think I figured out the problem---your steering wheel is on the wrong side! :)

Mike
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Re: HV10 in car use problems/advice

I've been through this with an HF10, trying it on a Fat Gecko dual suction cup mount inside the windshiled. There was an unacceptably high level of vibration in the image, even with a wide adapter on the camera.

I've since gotten a different camera, the Drift Innovation HD170 Stealth, mounted on a siimple single-suction mount. The camera weighs less than a third of the HF10 and has a much wider field of view. The vibes are no longer a problem. This camera could have been mounted on a clamp or other mechanical system.

If you are sticking with the HF10, there are a few things you can do to lessen the vibration problem.

Two of the factors affecting vibration are camera weight and length of the mounting arm, specifically the effective horizontal distance between mounting position and camera CG.

If the geometry allows, try suspending the camera from above and reorient the image in post.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders