DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Will Canon Replace the Hv10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/92206-will-canon-replace-hv10.html)

Terry Johnson April 23rd, 2007 02:37 PM

Will Canon Replace the Hv10

It has been reported that Canon is discontinuing the HV10. Is there any information as to whether they will replace it with a new model having the same form factor.

Chris Hurd April 23rd, 2007 02:44 PM

Same form factor, any time soon? Doubtful. Later on? Perhaps maybe so, since that form factor has been around for awhile (it's strongly based on the old Optura 300, 400, 500 and 600 series camcorders).

Ken Ross April 23rd, 2007 02:45 PM

I can't see why they would. Most people will opt for the HV20 given the choice between the two, so I don't see the incentive for Canon to develop a new vertical format HDV cam. They got too much criticism the first time around. I still love the HV10, but I do prefer the form factor of the HV20.

Terry Johnson April 23rd, 2007 05:09 PM

The volume of the hv20 is 1.5 times that of the hv10. I need a small hdv camera to hang around my neck when canoeing. I use my XL-H1 when on shore but it's not something that you can use on the water very well. I'm sure there are many activities where the size of the HV10 makes it an ideal solution.

Glen Kim April 23rd, 2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 665922)
Most people will opt for the HV20 given the choice between the two, so I don't see the incentive for Canon to develop a new vertical format HDV cam.

One thing to consider is that Canon is a Japanese manufacturer so the Japanese market is very important. Japanese people like devices small and compact.

Personally, I liked the vertical form factor of the HV10 and would welcome a camcorder with a similar form factor in the future.

Ken Ross April 23rd, 2007 06:29 PM

Guys, that's why I said 'most' people. I'm sure some still prefer the smaller size of the HV10 despite its vertical design. I'm just not sure there's enough buyers at this point to motivate Canon to build a successor...certainly not in the very near future. But Glen & Terry, I certainly understand what you're saying.

Rune Austefjord April 25th, 2007 11:39 AM

The Optura models are in turn based on something like the Sony DCR-PC1, 2 and 3, later superceeded by the DCR-PC100, 110 and other Sony models which were also upright design.
I bought a Sony DCR-PC3 back in 1999, and liked the upright design. Sold it when I got the HV10. I will probably keep buying uprights for a while.

Paulo Teixeira April 25th, 2007 11:52 AM

Canon will be releasing a consumer AVCHD camcorder and who knows, they may take the HV10 design. If not, then it will probably be a slimed down HV20. It will compete against the Sony CX7 and the Panasonic SD3.

Terry Johnson May 15th, 2007 04:08 PM

HV10 vs HR10

It looks like the HR10 may be the HV10 replacement as the name seems to inply. I wonder what is gained and lost by going to the AVCHD encoding and what the cost and recording time will be for the 3 inch DVD's.

Ian G. Thompson May 15th, 2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Johnson (Post 679978)
It looks like the HR10 may be the HV10 replacement as the name seems to inply. I wonder what is gained and lost by going to the AVCHD encoding and what the cost and recording time will be for the 3 inch DVD's.

I believe at its best quality you can get around 27 minutes of video per CD.

Luc Fender May 15th, 2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson (Post 679995)
I believe at its best quality you can get around 27 minutes of video per CD.

The HR10 is not vertical so I don't think that replaces the HV10.
I wonder how people use the HV10 start/stop button. I don't have big hands but in the store I had trouble using that button. Would you have to use typically 2 hands? And if so do you see the movement recorded everytime you hit start/stop?

Joe Busch May 15th, 2007 07:05 PM

I have big hands too, but I film for 7-10 minutes then turn it off... turn it back on... so it's not as big of a deal...

John Hotze May 15th, 2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Johnson (Post 666008)
The volume of the hv20 is 1.5 times that of the hv10. I need a small hdv camera to hang around my neck when canoeing. I use my XL-H1 when on shore but it's not something that you can use on the water very well. I'm sure there are many activities where the size of the HV10 makes it an ideal solution.

Hopefully you aren't canoeing in white water alone and tapeing. I put my camcorder on a tripod alone in my canoe just in front of me & tape while I'm paddlin' but I'm not on white water. I might be a little cautious as I go though some rapids but if I saw I had to do some serious maneuvering through some pretty choppy water I pull it off the pod and stick it in my bag. I'd Leave footage of the more serious rapids for when someone else can steer the canoe & I can film, excuse me, tape.

Have fun.