Intensity doesn't support HV20 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Closed Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #136
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sounds like the email server is down. Unfortunately we can't restart it remotely, so it will tomorrow when you get your emails. Sorry.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #137
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Green View Post
Dude, I. Can't. Believe. It.

It WAS the HDMI cable! It wouldn't allow a 1080 signal, just a 480.

ENERGY HDMI CABLE = BAD
VELOCITY HDMI CABLE = GOOD

Terence, you are a rock star! If you hadn't of joined this thread saying how yours was working, I would never have given it another shot, especially since Black Magic confirmed their HV20 wasn't working with the Intensity either.

So everyone who's having problems, time to pony up for some new HDMI cables. I'm staring at a glorious 1920x1080 HDMI signal on my monitor right now. COOL!
Hi Derek,
I had a request for you since the intensity card is working with you.
I was wondering whether capturing a already taped footage over HDMI has some advantage compared to firewire or not.
Can you do a comparison and let us know?
Thanks!!

Ajit B.
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #138
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajit Bikram View Post
Hi Derek,
I had a request for you since the intensity card is working with you.
I was wondering whether capturing a already taped footage over HDMI has some advantage compared to firewire or not.
Can you do a comparison and let us know?
Thanks!!

Ajit B.
I'm planning on it for sure. Unfortunately I don't own a resolution chart or color chart. I went to price them out today and I couldn't justify the $300 they wanted. If there's anyone out there in Vancouver that has a Sony or JVC cam with HDMI and wants to do a shoot out let me know.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #139
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
I believe it has been said in other threads that most of these cameras only output 8bit over HDMI anyway so cineform not supporting more wont be a big thing, if anything, that's less data to deal with. Or is cineform expanding it the 8bit to 10bit anyway? I, too, am very interested in whether core2duo mobile processors in the 1.6-2.13ghz range are adequate for capturing from the intensity from an hv20. Perhaps in low quality mode? 2.33ghz core2duo mobile cpus are $600+ just for the cpu, and the 2.0 ghz version is like 1/3 the price. I guess overclocking might be an option for some. But if it is not necessary for capturing, it could make a big difference. I am interested in building a portable miniITX capture device using the intensity, so knowing exactly what cpu will give us the results we want for the lowest price will help a lot. Unfortunately I doubt many ITX boards can be easily overclocked. As much as i'd love to buy neo hd and an intensity card and test it on various mobile processors, I dont think I have the disposable income to afford it if the cpu's I buy dont end up being enough for reliable capture.

NEO HD seems a bit pricey even for all the things it does. David, any cineform fanboy discounts for posting on forums all day about how great cineform codecs are? :P Is it possible to use NEO HDV to capture from the intensity? will that just force resizing to 1440x1080? or are there also other limitations?
What mini-ITX motherboard can you recommend?
http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-677.HTM
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id/735
http://www.globalamericaninc.com/sbc...rboard_sbc.php
Thank you in advance.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #140
Major Player

That is a good question. I'd tend toward the aopen boards since they have a built in power supply... although I suppose they still need a regulator for the 19v battery input... I've just had a bad experience with an itx board that eventually burnt out after i ran it off an m1-atx psu for a few months. Then again it might have been the lack of active cooling. The MSI doesnt have dual channel memory, and people from cineform have often said memory bandwidth is a big plus for capturing to their codec. Other thoughts are whether to get a mobile cpu or a desktop cpu. It appears the commell lv-674 can take core2duo desktop cpus, which are a lot less expensive and allow for more options than mobile cpus. It's hard to know about these itx boards though, they are not nearly as widely used and documented as ATX boards so troubleshooting could be problematic. But definitely look for anything that has pci-e x1 and dual channel memory. And if you are going for a mobile cpu, make sure the socket is right.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #141
Major Player

Check this mini-ITX mainboard based on intel Q965 Express chipset:
http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1064
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #142
Major Player

Well that would be a great option if it had pci-e....
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #143
Major Player

You are right...
But now we can see a lot mini-ITX "santa rosa" based mainboards.
Like this http://www.ipc2u.de/catalog/P/PE/35776.html
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #144
Major Player

I dont think that is santa rosa :)

Santa rosa is a designation for boards that take mobile cpu's and meet particular specifications. That board is LGA 775; santa rosa would be socket P i believe. Chances of finding a socket P CPU for sale right now arent great i would imagine.

but you are right, hopefully we will start seeing santa rosa boards. Probably not for a few months though. ITX is usually the last form factor to get new technologies.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #145
Major Player

My another mistake...
And next candidate: http://www.aicmicro.com/productdetail.asp?id=32090
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #146
Regular Crew

i looked into more or less every mini itx board available. my conclusions was the a-open seemed to have the best setup for something like hdmi capture.

its got a pci express x1, sata 300, dvi, firewire. most every other board is missing something as they are geared to industrial use. the other benifit is that its a-open, and available everywhere and will be simple to get serviced.

on another note.. i got my black magic card, and may have found the answer to the "is the hv20 only 8 bit" question.

it doesnt matter.

the black magic hdmi input chip (analog devices AD9398) is only 8 bit. to some degree, who cares, its the only solution for now, but they do advertise it rather specifically as 10 bit, and its definitely not.

now ive got to work out my expresscard box.

terence
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #147
Major Player

Yeah, I recall cineform tended to recommend the aopen boards a little while back when they were building their si-hd/2k body. Seems like itd be a good way to go. Probably a bit more documented than the industrial models in the same range. Anyone know a good way to run one of those off battery? I assume an 19v li-ion would be a problem as its voltage drops with use. maybe one of these would work?
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2737

take it apart and fit it in a chassis?
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #148
Major Player

AOpen's miniPC Duo MP965-VDR
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #149
Regular Crew

unfortunately that particular pc is of no use for the black magic card. it has no pci express, or expansion capability at all.

hopefully their mini itx version will follow soon, which should be very very useful.

terence
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #150
Inner Circle

while it is not really mini, i would recommend the shuttle SD39P2 .
It has everything you need. You need to find a VGA PCI card since the only PCIe will be busy with the intensity.
http://www.prodimex.ch/pInfos.asp?idxART=10929
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders