Now available in Australia too. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:59 AM   #16
Major Player

I Got my HV20 today at 10.30 YAY! Havnt been able to play with it yet (its been a busy day!). I can't wait to compare this to my 'old' camera on my 60" 1080p TV. :)

I must say a good word for the site i got it from. Great service and delivery time. So any other Aussies interested should not hesitate to purchase from them (link in the 4th post).

Cheers!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymon Hoffman View Post
I must say a good word for the site i got it from. Great service and delivery time. So any other Aussies interested should not hesitate to purchase from them (link in the 4th post).
Cheers!
I agree with you there Daymon, mine arrived in Darwin yesterday afternoon......... just in time to charge up the battery and head down to the markets to catch the sunset.

I filmed using the sunset setting and it turned out great. On the laptop (gloss 13" mac book) the footage looks great, but when I put it to DVD I noticed a couple of artifacts on a boat on the horizon during a pan, and again with a guy walking with a check shirt.

I've checked my timeline and it's at 29.97 fps and the footage was captured at 25fps, that might have something to do with it.

Once I work out how to capture to uncompressed .m2t i'll post some footage for you to review (at the moment it's at 6.1mb per sec, is that close?)

Apologies for my obvious newbie issues, i'll get there soon.

By the way........... i love this camera. I can't wait to get footage of my trip through central america................ oh the possibilities!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Well just as I make my decision to get one...no stock anywhere, Canon advise end May/June before stock arrive. Those internet retailers don't hold any stock ATM. Well I lied, local shop "T" has one left

shop: "yep, come in we've got 1 right here, shade under $2k!"

me: "ahh, that's RRP, what can you do as your best price?"

shop: "oh, well I didn't realise rrp was that low, come in & we'll talk"

to self: Uh huh. Guess I'll wait.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #19
Trustee

I got quoted 1684 from Digital Camera Warehouse :

$1684: http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod4776.htm

They actually have a shop front in Sydney so you can go in and purchase (I wonder if that gets past the Canon claim that they will only honour warrenty from a physical store with a shopfront (not internet)

I recently bought the XH-A1 - both internet suppliers admitted that warrenty was not through Canon, it was through them.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I recently bought the XH-A1 - both internet suppliers admitted that warrenty was not through Canon, it was through them.
Is this because cheap internet A1s are sourced from OS and not through Canon Australia? What about these internet HV20s?

Do you mind sharing what you paid and from whom you purchased your A1? (I'm actually teetering on going with a something like the A1 or Sony V1/Z1 as selling my current PD170P, Century Optics 16:9 + $ for a HV20 puts me in that price bracket anyway - disadvantage is I only have one decent WS cam for weddings with 1CCD Sony as emergency or cut-aways.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #21
Trustee

Yep - I called Canon and they said they will not provide warrenty on 'gray' imports - I don't know how they tell but that's what they say. That's what interested me most about Digital Camera warehouse - they do have a shopfront - it's at the back of a pet shop, but it's there :-) Canon might still argue but that's the classification they used (shopfront)

The warrenty from the grey importers might be fine (I assume they'd ship back to where ever and get it fixed or replaced from there, that would take longer of course and there's the chance that it won't come back (you can always stand outside a shopfront and yell)

The internet price for the XH-A1 was $5,299 plus freight - not cheap enough for me to take the risk.

I shopped around and the best price I got was $5750 from Paxton Camera in Sydney - a guy called Razi (very helpful, happy to call me back with price and availability) Other places are quoting $5,999 with "I'm sure we can do a deal, come in an we'll have a chat" = translation = I'll sell you the camera for 5,800 and while I've got you I'll put some extra markup on a bag or filters or something so you end up paying my full commission anyway"

it's the old sales trick "what colour did you want?" or "which battery would you be getting with that?" - called the implied close, once they've got you thinking about items like they've got a sale (most of the time)
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Placed an order to get in line since not much stock I hear...$AUD1637.50 which included $22 credit card charge, from Bandit Technology...just clicked the best result from staticice.com.au
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Avery View Post
I agree with you there Daymon, mine arrived in Darwin yesterday afternoon......... just in time to charge up the battery and head down to the markets to catch the sunset.

I filmed using the sunset setting and it turned out great. On the laptop (gloss 13" mac book) the footage looks great, but when I put it to DVD I noticed a couple of artifacts on a boat on the horizon during a pan, and again with a guy walking with a check shirt.

I've checked my timeline and it's at 29.97 fps and the footage was captured at 25fps, that might have something to do with it.

Once I work out how to capture to uncompressed .m2t i'll post some footage for you to review (at the moment it's at 6.1mb per sec, is that close?)

Apologies for my obvious newbie issues, i'll get there soon.

By the way........... i love this camera. I can't wait to get footage of my trip through central america................ oh the possibilities!
Hehe yeah i had enough time to play accept i had other things to do in that time. DOH! The sunset was stellar that evening and then the moon rising was equally as good. I really wanted to give them a go for my first recordings. Surely i would have totally stuffed them up but another attempt under the belt would have been great. hehe I went to a PINK Concert in brisbane (first big concert) and i new i coudlnt take any recording devices in so i painfully didnt bother taking it to the concert. When i was in there i seen about 500 digicams taking photos and thought to myself "Ok thats it.. i could have easily snuck this thing in here. And i'm doing it next time!" lol. SSSHH ;) Would have been good to see how it handled it.

PS. concert was great. :)
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Woohoo! HV20 arrived today, For the cam I paid $1598.30 incl GST, $20 del on top of that from Bandit Technology. It is PAL Canon Australia distributed model - I checked the bar code to verify this so I can enter the Canon cash give-away comp:

http://www.canon.com.au/dvbaby/

I wondered whether these competitively priced HVs were grey imports, but the reseller informed me that was not the case for this Canon, so I went ahead. Only shop in Canberra that had stock offered me best price of $1940 and pointed out to me the internet specials were definitely grey imports, so they would not compete anywhere near those prices.

I appreciate local shop support for warranty/no shipping...but was really only prepared to pay ~$1740 for the privilege.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders