DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   24p for Canon HV 20 and finding proper cadence (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/92401-24p-canon-hv-20-finding-proper-cadence.html)

Ray Neil April 25th, 2007 04:03 PM

24p for Canon HV 20 and finding proper cadence

I am trying to follow some of the workflows on the net for extracting 24P from the HV20 footage so I can edit it FInal Cut and read that I have to manually find progressive cadence either in Quicktime or Cinema Tools before I do reverse telecine. I have no idea how to do it or where manually. I don't see a difference between progressive and interlaced footage and don't know how to count frames to find the progressive frame. I'd really appreciate your help. I've spent several days on the net now and nop one really explains in detail.

Thank you so much

Wes Vasher April 25th, 2007 04:51 PM

It's quite easy to find progressive frames if you have any motion in your frame, you won't have an visible interlacing lines.

Ray Neil April 25th, 2007 04:54 PM

thank you. but what if I don't have motion?

Brandon Svec April 25th, 2007 05:23 PM

When you open you clip in Cinema Tools or Quicktime and use the arrow keys to step one frame at a time you should see two frames with horizontal lines and then 3 frames that look clean. You may need to zoom to full screen or larger to notice depending on your footage.

Along this line, what I am not certain of is if it matters what frame the actual clip (file) begins with or just where the playhead is located in Cinema Tools before clicking the reverse telecine button. Some expirimentation should reveal this though I guess..

Wes Vasher April 25th, 2007 05:27 PM

Without motion I have no clue.

Ray Neil April 25th, 2007 05:28 PM

Thanks a lot. I think I found a solution. (maybe :) )

for some weird reason I think all my clips begin with a progressive frame... I capture footage using AIC. After that I went to Cinematools and experimented with AA and DD presets, 23.98. I imported both files into FCP, none of them needed to be rendered. But then I went frame by frame in each footage to see if there wre any interlaced frames and found them in "AA" footage. They were clearly visible from the camera movement - they followed several progressive frames. I also checked the "DD" footage and I believe it was interlace free :)

Could I be so lucky? Could've my footage automatically begin with progressive frames? And is it in general possible to see interlace frames in final cut?

Many thanks

Thomas Emmerich April 25th, 2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Svec (Post 667479)

Along this line, what I am not certain of is if it matters what frame the actual clip (file) begins with or just where the playhead is located in Cinema Tools before clicking the reverse telecine button. Some expirimentation should reveal this though I guess..

What matters in Cinema Tools is what frame the playhead is currently located on. So you don't have to edit the file to start a certain way. My method is to find the first progressive frame in the repeating sequence and keep the playhead on it and choose DD.

Ray Neil April 25th, 2007 05:31 PM

I see. That really great. I think I solved a stress inducing horror of three days :) the footage looks great. phew.

I guess I was lucky that this particular scene started with a progressive frame. But the thing is usually cinematoold doesn't allow me to go frame by frame, the pointer-ball is frozen in one place unless you drag it... :(

Austin Meyers April 25th, 2007 09:05 PM

i have issues using the right arrow key, if i drag the playhead in it will let me go back, but not forwards, even using the frame forward/backward arrows on the timeline. and i wish the cinema tools window would open up to full size so one could see the interlacing...

Ray Neil April 26th, 2007 10:07 AM

yes, same issue Austin