My new 24p workflow on the Mac - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis View Post
So (noob question, I know) what settings do you use FCP for initial capture, if using this work flow?
I capture using HDV Firewire Basic, and I uncheck "Create new clip on Start/Stop." That's optional, of course, but I like having an entire tape as one clip.

JES will handle Apple Intermediate Codec files as well, so you could certainly capture that way instead.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Snook View Post
[M]aybe your FCP timeline isn't set up properly... make sure your timebase is set to 23.98 and the codec is set to Photo-JPEG.
The only Photo-JPEG codec I see is the RT OfflineHD (Photo-JPEG).

Placed in a sequence with that codec the clip will play after rendering. It'd be nice not to have to render.
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

Which version of FCP do you have? Under Sequence Settings, you'll see QuickTime Video Settings. In there, set it to Photo - Jpeg, Quality at 75%.

heath
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM   #19
New Boot

I've heard this JESdeinterlacer program didn't have the capability to do FULL QUALITY output, but only did half. Did they come out with a newer/updated version? Meaning, if you wanted to have the same HDV quality that you input, you couldn't have it. It would output half the quality... Weird by that's what I heard
Ray Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Neil View Post
I've heard this JESdeinterlacer program didn't have the capability to do FULL QUALITY output, but only did half. Did they come out with a newer/updated version? Meaning, if you wanted to have the same HDV quality that you input, you couldn't have it. It would output half the quality... Weird by that's what I heard
I've checked its output side-by-side with the original HDV, and my eye can discern no difference.

Anyway, it's a light, free program, so I'd encourage everyone to experiment with it and see if they find it up to snuff.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hal, thanks for the info!

Bruce
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Which version of FCP do you have? Under Sequence Settings, you'll see QuickTime Video Settings. In there, set it to Photo - Jpeg, Quality at 75%.

heath
I see it now! Thanks, Heath!

@ Hal

We much appreciate your clueing us in to this little app!

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

No problem, Elmer. Just remember, Photo - Jpeg at 75% quality gives you 4:2:2 YCbCr. Use it for DV, too.

heath

ps-Graeme Nattress of www.nattress.com and RED Digital Cinema fame was the one who originally told me about this in 2005.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps-Graeme Nattress of [url
www.nattress.com[/url] and RED Digital Cinema fame was the one who originally told me about this in 2005.

i just emailed Graeme, and he indicated that Nattress' Film Effects would not do this job... which is a shame.

If it did, there's no chance i wouldn't pick it up - i wonder if we could prod him into adding it, seeing as how the HV20 keeps getting picked as a "best of"... there's going to be a lot of people using these as backup cameras and cameras put into harm's way in lieu of higher-end units.
Don Swetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Swetz View Post
i just emailed Graeme, and he indicated that Nattress' Film Effects would not do this job... which is a shame.

If it did, there's no chance i wouldn't pick it up - i wonder if we could prod him into adding it, seeing as how the HV20 keeps getting picked as a "best of"... there's going to be a lot of people using these as backup cameras and cameras put into harm's way in lieu of higher-end units.
Don, specifically what did Graeme say Nattress couldn't do? Remove the HDV pulldown?

heath
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #26
New Boot

Here's my email to Graeme -
Subj: Film Effects and HV20

I'm shooting in the HDV 1080p24 mode which is telecined into HDV 1080i60. Also, each cut has a different cadence, meaning that i have to go thru and manually set the cadence each time i hit the rec/pause button outside of Final Cut with Cinema Tools. After all of that hard work - it actually looks pretty great... but the workflow is 3 additional steps and 4 times as long as using regular DV.

Would your Film Effects software

1. be compatible with FCS2 (they had me at "Smoothcam")
2. be able to automagically detect the cadence and bring me the 24p footage i'm longing for?

Thanks in advance.

Here is his reply...

Hi Don,
Yes, it's a right pain to remove pulldown and I don't have anything that helps here either.....

so 1) yes
2) no.

The code in Film Effects (that does the image processing) can do really nice things to the images, whether they're 24p, 60i or whatever, but the 60i to 24p conversion is only for normal 60i footage.

Graeme
______

btw: my workflow...
HV20 in 1080p24 mode -> DVHSCap over firewire to .m2t files -> MPEG Streamclip to AIC -> Cinema Tools -> AIC with reversed telecine

Last edited by Don Swetz; May 15th, 2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: (wanted to give my workflow)
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

I checked my notes from NAB and I remember stopping by the Apple booth and seeing a V1u, so what does that mean for us? I can guess, grin.

heath
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #28
Contributor

workflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Swetz View Post
btw: my workflow...
HV20 in 1080p24 mode -> DVHSCap over firewire to .m2t files -> MPEG Streamclip to AIC -> Cinema Tools -> AIC with reversed telecine
why not capture w/ FCP directly to AIC? i've been captureing to AIC then running that through the JES deinterlacer app, which does auto removal and batch processing, and can then output to back to AIC, photo-jpeg, HDV, or any other codec you want... it will remove pulldown on HDV files too, i'm currently playing with that...

on side note does anyone else have random issues with the JES deinterlacer? every once in a while there is a file that just won't do as it's supposed to, and JES quits mid stream
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #29
New Boot

well, Final Cut doesn't treat HDV as 1920x1080 - it does it 1440x1080.

I convert .m2t's to AIC using MPEGStreamclip, and during that conversion, i make the files "native" 1920x1080. So that takes care of frame size.

Everything from that point on is done in the size i'm going to be working with in the end. When i reverse telecine the clips in Cinema Tools, there it is - just the clip i was looking for.

i've built a AIC 1920x1080p24 easy setting in FCP - bam. it all seems to work for me. I don't want to work in 1440x1080i60 - since that's not my final output.

i've looked at http://www.hdvxdv.com/ - and its obvious that they used DVHSCap as the base for their product, but i can't figure out what i get for $80 vs. the way i'm doing it.

i think i asked this question a few years ago when they made the DVDxDV product which took DVD video and transcoded it into .DV... in both cases, i used MPEGStreamclip to get to where i wanted to go.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

Where do you find DVHSCap? The Apple developer page? I think I downloaded it.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders