Novice workflow suggestions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Novice workflow suggestions...

Well I got the HV20 last week and have had some great opportunities with it so far. I'm trying to get up to speed on the workflow by reading as much as I can in here and elsewhere on the net.

I've used HDVSplit to pull the files from the HV20. I've also used iMovie (but don't like the single file containing all the clips). I'd prefer to edit on the Mac but until I get FC Express, I'm looking for suggestions on how to edit the m2t files. Everything that I've been able to produce looks like junk when I'm complete. I've tried several combinations of output from iMovie and not sure which method would work best.

So the question is, what is a simple Mac workflow to take m2t files, edit them, ie just to remove bad scenes and fade from clip to clip, and then export to a 720p or full res sized files to share in here?

I've got some aircraft footage including us overtaking an American Airlines 757 at 36,000 that is amazing, another clip is the final approach into Atlanta (both from the cockpit). I'd love to get it out there. Any suggestions?
Steve Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Contributor

you mean the imovie project file? if you right (control) click on the project file and hit "show package contents" it will reveal some folders with all of your media clipped as you captured it. and you can move, modify them from there, if you don't want to edit them in imovie, but why would you not edit in imovie if you don't have FCE yet? it's a pretty solid platform, especially to do what you described... and then you just export out of imovie to a quicktime file>expert settings>share>movie to quicktime movie>full frame or 720p h.264 with a bitrate of 3000-6000
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Meyers View Post
you mean the imovie project file? if you right (control) click on the project file and hit "show package contents" it will reveal some folders with all of your media clipped as you captured it. and you can move, modify them from there, if you don't want to edit them in imovie, but why would you not edit in imovie if you don't have FCE yet? it's a pretty solid platform, especially to do what you described... and then you just export out of imovie to a quicktime file>expert settings>share>movie to quicktime movie>full frame or 720p h.264 with a bitrate of 3000-6000

That's why this place is so great. I've goofed around trying to do exactly this and in 3 minutes you give me the answers. Thank you. I also found a nice reference at http://www.hdforindies.com/2004/11/a...t-sony-hdr-fx1 (it is a little old but still some good info).
Steve Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Tourist

Sorry for the cross-post...

This seems like a good place to jump in...

I just entered HD land as well, with the new Canon HV20. So far, I like it a lot, beautiful video and not bad stills either...

Now for my question:

I'm a hobbyist and shoot mainly family vacations, concerts, school plays occasional stuff for my church, etc... I like to edit and use backround music, etc... I have both Premiere Pro 2.0 and Vegas 7.0e (I am much more familiar with PP), Encore and DVD architect. I have my computer networked to my xBox so I can use xBox's media center to stream video, but I also would like to burn to DVD's. I downloaded Cineform's plugins for both PP and Vegas, but I probably won't buy them (too much money)

What are my options in regards to exporting my movies in order to:
a. get the best quality HD for both "computer streaming to HD 46" TV via xBox" and "Burning to DVD"?

I would appreciate detailed directions/settings to choose for encoding in either PP or Encore, Vegas or DVD Arc...

THanks,

John
John Conway is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders