Warranties? Worth it? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #16
New Boot

I bought the $180 no question asked 4 yr warranty from Best Buy. It allows me to sell back unused portion of the warranty to BB. It's a no brainer IMO...basically allows me to return for equal or replacement in next 4 yrs...what do you think will be available by then?...whatever, it will be a lot better then the HV20....
Doug Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I look at it like this. Most of the electronics geeks own the following devices:

1. A laptop ($1500)
2. An SLR ($1000)
3. A camcorder ($1200)
4. A TV ($500)
5. A home theatre system ($1500)

If they purchased extended warranty for all of them, it would be between $1000 and $1500. So, the extended warranty is only useful when at lteast two of these devices go bad. How frequently does it happen for brand names?
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Like I said, Canon took in a 4-5 year old camera from me and repaired it within a week, I'm amazed they even had parts (if they needed any) and they repaired it for free.. It has dents, it's beat up, paint scratching off, it looks abused because it is, and they STILL repaired it for free and shipped it back.

I don't think you need a warranty honestly.
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Perry View Post
I'm planning on getting this camera from Circuit City. With a coupon I can get it for 871 bucks. They offer a 2 year warranty for 180 dollars. That seems steep for me. Is it worth it? Do these cameras usually break? I'd love the peace of mind, but that just sounds outrageously expensive. Wish I could find a place that sold the camera for that price and had a decent warranty.
What coupon is this?
Ben Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

10% coupon if you are a AAA member. PM if you want info, don't want to break forum rules....
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Will do, and i am.

Edit: It will not allow me to pm you. Please email me at snoboarder8232@aim.com . Thank you.
Ben Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #22
New Boot

Mack warranties are transferrable.

Thus, if you were trying to sell the HV20 after the manufacturer's warranty had expired, this might make the sale more attractive and potentially result in a higher resale value.
Gavin Ouckama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I think the Best Buy (and similar) add-on warranties are a complete waste of money.

If your electronics are going to fail, it usually happens quickly -- within the manufacturer warranty period.

Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. aren't trying to do anyone any favors. Those upsold warranties represent huge amounts of profit.

Note that Costco is now offering an addtional YEAR of warranty coverage for free on all electronics items. Smart move by Costco, because it won't cost them much money.
C.S. Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders