Contacting Canon re: adding 24p pulldown flags - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
I haven't been following this thread until I noticed the number of times CineForm is mentioned -- thank you for the complementry words.

CineForm extracts the pulldown using a real-time image analysis which we developed for a much higher-end application, it just works very nicely with these new HDV sources. We wouldn't use the flags even if they where there -- flags can be wrong, but the image doesn't lie. We don't use pulldown flags offered in the Sony V1U, as there would require engineering time to get the same result we have now. So asking for pulldown flags from Canon is the wrong request.

What you could be asking for is progressive encoding like the Canon HV20 big bothers XL-H1,G1,A1. These cameras encode 24p as 24p, not 60i. No flags are needed, as no pulldown needs to be extracted. The problem is the nature HDV NLE vendors are so slow to use this approach, Canon went with the lowest common demoniator for wider NLE support, which is 60i. Yet most NLEs don't support pulldown flagging in HDV anyway. So really you should be requesting wider 24F support from Apple, Sony and maybe Adobe (I think they have it) so then it would be fine for camera's like the HV20 to encode that way.

Non-pulldown 24p encoding of MPEG is more efficient, has fewer artifacts, and the 4:2:0 sampling will not produce any crosstalk between frames as it does with 24p in 60i.

my 2 cents.
Thanks for chimming in Dave. Your suggestion is a good one, though don't you think switching to 24F-type encoding on the HV20 is gonna be more than a firmware update? For those of us who already own the camera, at least with flags on our 24p/60i files, the assumption is FCP, Premiere and Vegas can do pulldown removal.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #107
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Agree, it would likely be more than a firmware upgrade. I was pointing out that Canon's actions makes good business sense, given the slow nature of the NLE companies. Currently I believe only Vegas recently added the use embedded HDV pulldown flags, so it is no surprise the HV20 was released without them.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #108
Major Player

I would agree a native 24/25p stream would be most optimal. :) Talk about hassle and trouble free.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Canon could simply provide a capture utility for the 24p cam or at least a media player. This would eliminate firmware changes for us, consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymon Hoffman View Post
I would agree a native 24/25p stream would be most optimal. :) Talk about hassle and trouble free.
This cam can do 25p recorded on 50i stream. What are the issues being referred here?
Peter Frollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #110
Regular Crew

25p into a 50i stream, is almost the same as 25p into a 25p stream. The only thing that could change, is maybe the mpeg2 codec optimzation... but still, the results are going to be the same.

But I agree: in NTSC land, it's a HUGE diference.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #111
New Boot

emailed canon and Nick answered:

"I'm sorry that you're having problems with the 24p pulldown. We've been
made aware of the issue, and I've forwarded the concerns about the
pulldown to our development team. We'll look into the matter to see what we can do to
help. In the meantime, you might also contact the company who makes
your video editing program to see if they have any suggestions.

While trying to learn more about the issues that people are having with
24p footage the HV20, I came across a discussion happening on
dvinfo.net. While we can't verify the information there, I personally found the discussion
interesting, and it might be useful for you to get a sense of how others
are handling the problems they're running into:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92629"

A firmware update would be really nice.
Marco Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #112
Regular Crew

An alternate route that we might want to pursue is to contact each of the NLE makers and make a request for them to allow processing 24p footage without markers by evaluating the individual frames (similar to cineform). I think it would likely take them a while to come up with something functional (if they were even interested in doing so).

It is one additional avenue the should likely be pursued in addition to the requests being made to Canon to include the flags.

-Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #113
Regular Crew

Good work, gents! You'd think if the JES De-Interlacer can detect the frames, Apple, Adobe et al could find something to help us...and we'd really appreciate!

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #114
Regular Crew

if i buy neo hdv will NEO HDV do the pull down for 24p on the HV20 just fine ????? sony vegas 6 user here
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Newsome View Post
if i buy neo hdv will NEO HDV do the pull down for 24p on the HV20 just fine ????? sony vegas 6 user here
Yes, works very well... download the tryout and see how easy it is..
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #116
Inner Circle

Anyone coming up with anything new ?

I see that Cineform is offering free upgrade to Neo HDV from HD Connect if it was purchased after February 2007. I purchased HDConnect from BH for 189.00 recently and will be requesting the NEO HDV upgrade. Anybody gone through that already ?
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #117
New Boot

David Newman, thanks for chiming in. Your post was helpful to the community and, not because of any advertising by you, I'll be buying your product because it functions as advertised.

IMHO (JD-biased as it is), Canon's advertising is at the very least a bit misleading in omitting that you cannot edit 24 frames representing a second of footage, you must edit a larger number and that introduces other issues.
Stuart Dawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #118
Regular Crew

Any update on this?
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders