Hard Drive Space, 1080 24p mode and the HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Hard Drive Space, 1080 24p mode and the HV20

How much hard drive space will I need when shooting with the HV20 in HD 24p mode? Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gipson View Post
How much hard drive space will I need when shooting with the HV20 in HD 24p mode? Thanks.
24p is recorded to the tape as a 60i stream, so it should be exactly the same. It is still using the HDV compression.

Mike
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
24p is recorded to the tape as a 60i stream, so it should be exactly the same. It is still using the HDV compression.

Mike
I'm kind of new to HDV, and I haven't been in the world of video for a while , so excuse my ignorance....but how much hard drive space does 60i HDV take up?
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Google... 'HDV data rate'

25 Mbps / 8 = 3.125 MBps * 60 = 187.5 MB/minute

Please correct me anyone if I'm incorrect.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Same as standard DV I believe...

I got 20 min of footage... 4 gigs roughly
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ah, it used to be so simple; with DV and plain HDV, you get about 5 minutes per gigabyte.

However, with HDV, and especially 24p HDV, you may want to convert to another format for editing. The reasons for this are covered pretty well in other threads on this board.

At this point, expect your hard drive requirements to at least triple.

I have been shooting exclusively in 24p since I got this camera. So after capturing in HDV, I almost immediately reverse the telecine and convert to Photo-JPEG format at the same time.

With JES Deinterlacer's built in Photo-JPEG codec, a 5-minute clip will balloon to about 3.3Gb.

On the Mac side, you could also use Apple Intermediate Codec, which is similar to Photo-JPEG and takes up roughly the same amount of space.

On the PC side, I believe most of the popular editing apps ship with their own intermediary codecs. Someone else will have to tell you about those, but I'd wager they take up a similar amount of space.

Hope this helps.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Major Player

I got this info from the VASST site:

"If you have a computer that can edit DV, you have a computer that can edit HDV. HDV in 1080i format is the same bitrate (25Mbps) as DV is. However, depending on the system, you may experience choking on the system, depending on whether you're editing Transport Streams or with an intermediary codec such as the Cineform Connect HD codec."

Thanks everyone.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
how much hard drive space does 60i HDV take up?

If you're on a mac, there are a couple tiny free calculators that you can download.

This is a widget that I've been using and it seems to have a lot of codec options for calculation:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...ideospace.html

And here is another application that seems to do the same thing
http://www.rabidjackalope.com/vdsc/

If these exist for the mac, I'm sure there are some for the PC as well, in case that's your computing platform. Anybody have any suggestions?
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #9
Major Player

does anyone know what size file 24p or 25p would be when captured using NEO HDV? Since its capturing 24p not 60i I would suppose that its less that 60i using NEO?
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson View Post
does anyone know what size file 24p or 25p would be when captured using NEO HDV? Since its capturing 24p not 60i I would suppose that its less that 60i using NEO?

I don't know specifically what NEO HDV is, but in other codecs I've looked at, the difference between 30 fps and 24 fps is that 24fps is 80% of 30fps and the diskspace required changes accordingly. The Widget I linked above allows you to set frame rate and figures it out for you.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
I got this info from the VASST site:

"If you have a computer that can edit DV, you have a computer that can edit HDV. HDV in 1080i format is the same bitrate (25Mbps) as DV is. However, depending on the system, you may experience choking on the system, depending on whether you're editing Transport Streams or with an intermediary codec such as the Cineform Connect HD codec."

Thanks everyone.
So that's almost true... the clear advice for a slow CPU machine would be to leave the MPEG2 transport stream and convert to some intermediary....as long as the hard drive keeps up, because data rate will increase from 3 to say 10 megabytes per second (thanks Hal&Wes). And that is for one video track in the NLE. For my old Athlon XP1700 it did the trick, however.
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #12
New Boot

NEO = Cineform

NEO is the latest incarnation of the Cineform software. Just came out, so no data, but probably the same large size.
I haven't switched over yet, but am happy how Cineform HD imports my 24p.
Burk Wagner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders