DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 and G-forces (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/93517-hv10-g-forces.html)

Matthew Pugerude May 8th, 2007 09:21 AM

HV10 and G-forces

I have a client that wants to attach the little HV10 to a shot gun barrell to get a dynamic POV of Hunting in HD. We have in the past used a little lipstick camera attached to a deck but now he wants to go to HD with the shot and not have to have it a PIP effect. The question is what kind of G-forces do you think the HV10 can handle? I can't seem to find any kind of rating on the site.

I just don't want to end up with a paper weight the first shot out the gun.

Thanks

George Ellis May 8th, 2007 10:17 AM

The HV10 has a problem (unusable footage) when used in high vibration environments of other POV applications such as skydiving and attached to vehicles. This may be an instance were a 540line lipstick might be the best option (attached to a DV camera).

Ray Bell May 8th, 2007 11:59 AM

I wouldn't even try it.... thats why they make gun scopes with special
mounts. Or the objectives in the scope will shatter when the gun goes off....

Most folks don't use scopes on a shot gun but the forces are still there..

Even a pellet gun requires special scopes.......

Craig Chartier May 8th, 2007 09:13 PM

I have rigged this camera inside of F16 aircraft, which during the course of shooting pulled several G's time after time. Client loved the footage.
Hope this helps

Bob Hart May 8th, 2007 09:31 PM

I certainly would not hard-mount it to a shotgun, not unless you don't want the zoom to work anymore. The muzzle blast might not do good things to the on-board mike at that close range unless you mask it over with padding.

It would be another thing to make a soft mount out of large diameter tube with camera mount on top with black foam pipe lagging on the inside to fit snugly over the barrel or the reload slide - ( one shell only in the weapon at a time if doing this ). You also get the visual impression of the reload cycle if the slide is actuated.

In this arrangement, when the shotgun kicks, the recoil will be visually apparent. As the barrel slips back inside the foam lagging, the barrel end in the image comes back.

The tube will need to be fairly long as the camera will rock otherwise.

You may need to have some counterweight on the bottom on a rod to keep the camera from sliding around and under when it is jolted.

Matthew Pugerude May 9th, 2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Chartier (Post 675297)
I have rigged this camera inside of F16 aircraft, which during the course of shooting pulled several G's time after time. Client loved the footage.
Hope this helps

So did you have any drop outs on the camera? Was there anything wrong with the footage in any way at any part of the tape?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 675304)
I certainly would not hard-mount it to a shotgun, not unless you don't want the zoom to work anymore. The muzzle blast might not do good things to the on-board mike at that close range unless you mask it over with padding.

It would be another thing to make a soft mount out of large diameter tube with camera mount on top with black foam pipe lagging on the inside to fit snugly over the barrel or the reload slide - ( one shell only in the weapon at a time if doing this ). You also get the visual impression of the reload cycle if the slide is actuated.

In this arrangement, when the shotgun kicks, the recoil will be visually apparent. As the barrel slips back inside the foam lagging, the barrel end in the image comes back.

The tube will need to be fairly long as the camera will rock otherwise.

You may need to have some counterweight on the bottom on a rod to keep the camera from sliding around and under when it is jolted.

Thanks for the idea. I was kind of thinking about doing this as well. I guess I going down to the old hardware store.

Brad Vaughan May 9th, 2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Chartier (Post 675297)
Hope this helps

Care to share any of that? I would LOVE to see some HD cockpit footage!!!