DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Got my new HV20 - Windows not seeing it tho (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/93616-got-my-new-hv20-windows-not-seeing-tho.html)

Rikki Bruce May 9th, 2007 11:49 AM

Got my new HV20 - Windows not seeing it tho

Hi folks,

HV20 arrived today so installed the CD as noted in the manual but when I hook up the unit to the PC it finds an AV/C Subunit and asks for the driver but even pointing it towards my CDROM drive it doesnt find the right driver files :(

Also another quick questions, what software will play happy with the output from my HV20 - I use Cyberlink Director at the moment but I take it since its an older program it wont like this new HDV stuff?

Thanks for any advice.

Rikki

Colin Gould May 9th, 2007 12:00 PM

Windows XP SP2 should recognize the camera by itself, NO drivers needed.
Older software will not see/control HDV cameras though.
For free captures, look to the most recent (.77?) HDVsplit, it will actually split/name per each shot using the time-of-day stamp info.
Check other posts for HDV compatible software, like Vegas7.0, Ulead VideoStudio10+ or 11+ & MSpro8, Adobe Premiere 1.5+/2.0, Pinnacle 10+, etc (think I got various version#s right, double check their websites.)

The install CDs are only for the USB connection for still camera (miniSD card) transfer (which is a lot faster to simply use a card reader.)

HDV mode over firewire shows up as an AV/C unit under game/audio controllers, DV Locked mode (eg downres to DV) will show up under imaging devices, like other dv cams. You need to change DV/HDV connect modes while UNplugged from the PC.

Rikki Bruce May 9th, 2007 12:07 PM

Thanks Colin for the reply. I kinda remembered reading something about forcing to DV and that worked great. This machine barfed when I tried to put XP2 on it a couple of years ago so its running as SP1 at the moment. In all honesty though I didnt buy the camera for HD, I bought it to use for web work but I wanted good low noise and with 24/25p it means good quality images that convert to XVID well.

Maybe one day I'll play around with all the HDness of it :D

Thanks again,

Rikki

Peter J Alessandria May 9th, 2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikki Bruce (Post 675701)
This machine barfed when I tried to put XP2 on it a couple of years ago so its running as SP1 at the moment. Rikki

I think you need SP2 to get HDV drivers in Windows. As Colin noted, there are no video drivers on the HV20 CD - only still camera stuff.

Colin -
"You need to change DV/HDV connect modes while UNplugged from the PC"
You're talking about in the camera, right? I just went through a few days of heartburn when Windows would only see my HV20 as a DV cam Imaging Device and not an HDV AV/C Tape Device even when the camera was set to HDV output. Had to go into the Device Manager several times and uninstall the DV camera in Imaging Devices. Finally I rebooted with the camera in HDV output mode and connected (via firewire of course) and now Windows seems to properly recognize it as a AV/C tape device. What a pain!

Colin Gould May 10th, 2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria (Post 675732)
I think you need SP2 to get HDV drivers in Windows. As Colin noted, there are no video drivers on the HV20 CD - only still camera stuff.

Colin -
"You need to change DV/HDV connect modes while UNplugged from the PC"

You're talking about in the camera, right? I just went through a few days of heartburn when Windows would only see my HV20 as a DV cam Imaging Device and not an HDV AV/C Tape Device even when the camera was set to HDV output. Had to go into the Device Manager several times and uninstall the DV camera in Imaging Devices. Finally I rebooted with the camera in HDV output mode and connected (via firewire of course) and now Windows seems to properly recognize it as a AV/C tape device. What a pain!

Yes, I meant in the camera. I recall your post a while ago, glad you fixed it... I've had no problems switching my HV10 betw HDV & DV modes connecting to my PC, except as noted you can't select the camera menu item to switch unless firewire is unplugged (menu choice is greyed out.)
I've had a previous DV camcorder connected before if that makes a difference, but I've switched the HV10 back & forth since then, mostly HDV but DV also..