DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Inconspicuous Mic Solutions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/93688-inconspicuous-mic-solutions.html)

Mike Thomann May 10th, 2007 12:13 AM

Inconspicuous Mic Solutions?

Large professional mics are perfect and in many cases required accessories for this cam but lately I'm finding that one of the biggest advantages of this cam is that it doesn't stand out. That is a HUGE plus in the public atmosphere that I can't give up by adding a large mic. Any suggestions for a mic or pair of mics for stereo that are much higher quality than the internal mics which could be attached to the body? Something semi-pro would be nice. It would be a compromise from the correct way of distancing the mic from the cam as something like this would pick up camera noise but at least it would sound much better than as if you were listening to things with a helmet on. Maybe using some vibration-dampening would help with attached mics. The best the solution would be to use a lav, but the transmitters I've seen aren't inconspicuous enough for this cam, and it would be nice to retain stereo. Is anyone familiar with a more compact lav or even one with stereo, and does anyone have any other ideas for a good high-quality inconspicuous mic solution?

Eric Shepherd May 10th, 2007 01:41 AM

What type of shooting scenario is this?

I think using a bit of that rubber stuff for lining kitchen and toolkit drawers would be just the thing for you. You can get it in many colors in a housewares or tool department. Just cut a little strip of it and wrap the mic and then clamp it into the camera.

The Sennheiser G2 has 2 belt packs, one for the transmitter, one for the receiver. You can put the receiver on a hot/cold shoe mount, or put it in your pocket with a wire coming out of it. You could run 2 of them if you need stereo. In that case, I'd use a 3 conductor (stereo or tip-ring-sleave (TRS)) cable. Use a Y adapter cable at each end to put 2 receiver signals into the cable and then at the other end to pull them apart for the 2 input jacks.

The lavaliers would have to be on someone/something and that would be more conspicuous I think. They're typically omni-directional too, so you won't get 'stereo' from a pair of them side by side.

Unless you put one on each of your ears, in a binaural configuration. Then when you listen to the recording through headphones, it'll sound like you're really there. Incredible effect, but the proper way is to have the mics literally in your ears slightly.. Definitely not inconspicuous ;)

Eric

Mike Thomann May 10th, 2007 10:52 AM

Thanks for your recommendations. Something like this would be helpful anytime you want to shoot around people and you don't want to disrupt a natural environment by having heads turn to check out a camera if it appears to be some sort of production ordeal. It's really great that people don't notice the HV20. Whether you are filming a natural atmosphere with people in it or interacting with people on camera, everyone reacts more naturally to an unobtrusive camera and you get more natural recordings. It could be as simple as family vacation videos. Additionally, it's a major convenience factor. I'd like to reach the minimalist approach to optimizing quality video while while on the go.

Eric Shepherd May 10th, 2007 02:11 PM

Ah okay, I got ya. Personally, I feel weird whenever anyone (but me!) has a camera around me.

Try shockmounting the mic with some of that rubber stuff and if that doesn't work, you can get another stereo mic to go in its place, which will be a lot simpler than a lav or other wireless setup.

Though with a lav, you could hide it in a room ahead of time I suppose. Or a pair of them for that matter in 2 different ends of the room or whatever. ;)

Eric

Erik Bien May 10th, 2007 05:20 PM

I think these would be sweet ...

As regards the "mics in the ears idea" you should check these out ...

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Google-translated from the German, which still requires a bit of "user deciphering" but you'll probably get the idea.

Now if only the HV20's mic input had phantom power, we wouldn't need the "bungee box" too ...

Eric Shepherd May 10th, 2007 08:41 PM

Very cool.. Yeah binaural is amazing. I was part of a demo of a binaural head model a few years back and the demonstrator was running an electric shaver around the back of the head and it really seemed like there was an electric trimmer running behind my head. Just incredible what you can do with 2 mics in the ear position. :)

Elmer Lang May 11th, 2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd (Post 676774)
Try shockmounting the mic with some of that rubber stuff and if that doesn't work, you can get another stereo mic to go in its place.Eric

What is that 'rubber stuff' you're talking about? What is it called and where can I get it? I would like to get some myself!

best,
elmer

Eric Shepherd May 11th, 2007 08:13 PM

Okay, after a bunch of searching for cheaper ones, here's the Sears one:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

They probably all come from the same factory. It's just a roll of rubbery stuff, about 2/3 the thickness of a paper towel roll. Almost like waffle french fries. Sort of a grid with little holes in between the criss-crosses.

It's great for shockmounting stuff, holding slipping things together when a clamp alone won't do. Withstands at least the heat under the hood of a car. (I used some for a few years to shockmount/hold in place 4 foglights inside the grill on my car.

It's also good for removing lids from jars, holding screwdrivers, wrapping expensive/fragile stuff, etc.

Eric :)