HV20 bugs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 bugs?

I've had my HV20 for a few weeks now and I am really loving it. It is my first camera and from reading this forum I feel confident I made a solid choice that I should be happy with for at least a year or so ;)

Anyhow, here are the 'bugs' I think I have found and I would be curious if others could confirm or deny my findings

1. I have used stereo headphones plugged into the yellow av/headphone jack to help make sure I get good audio while recording. I figured out I had to go into the function menu to select headphones instead of the default av setting to get rid of the terrible loud distorted humming noise when playing back a tape (or even when the tape is not playing). However, every time I switch from record to playback again it goes back to AV even though the headphones have been plugged in and I changed nothing else. This is annoying to say the least.

2. I am playing back some HDV footage right now via HDMI on my Westinghouse 42" LCD (looks incredible BTW) and noticed that pressing the x2 button on the remote does not make the playback faster. It changes the display to show "x2", but in fact plays at the normal rate. I am going to review the manual, but this doesn't seem right to me. I can hold the 'ff' button down to visually speed through the tape, but it seems the 'x2' button should do what it suggests.

Thanks for listening and I'd love to hear some feedback from other users if they are having the same issues and agree they are bugs that should be reported to Canon.
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #2
New Boot

I seem to recall the manual stating that the X2 function does not work in HDV mode, but does work in DV mode.
John Machtinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Major Player

#1. is in the manual - it's a feature, not a bug.
#2. likewise I think.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Rtfm

Thanks guys. Pages 30 and 31 in the HV20 manual for those interested.

Not sure why the headset/av setting would default back to av and why anyone would want for a setting like that to revert to default, but the manual does clearly state that is how it works..
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders