Rainy Day - 60p and 24p test. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon Chase View Post
Just a tripod. There is some rolling shutter artifacts if you look for them. Mainly the lightning.
You mean you ran with the camera on the tripod? I got severe rolling shutter artifacting when I took my HV20 for a walk with a home made stabilizer.
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

can you also upload your before color correction footage so we could see solomon thanxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #18
Major Player

What's happening at 38 and 39 seconds that causes those partial-frame flashes/glitches? Did nobody else notice this?
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #19
Major Player

David, Solomon said those were CMOS rolling shutter artifacts - i've never seen these with my HV20, but I would assume that's the cause as well.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garvin View Post
What's happening at 38 and 39 seconds that causes those partial-frame flashes/glitches? Did nobody else notice this?
Just when back to look at it and I really can't place what it is. It might just be a flash of lighting and the reason it looks so weird is because it reflecting off the foil? Just a guess.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #21
Regular Crew

No 35mm adapter was used.

The HV20 has a large sensor so you can get shallow depth. Pulldown was removed with Cineform.

The "glitches" are, like I said, rolling shutter artifacts caused by the lightning. They wouldn't be so bad if I used a slower shutter like 48 or 60.

Color Graded vs RAW JPEG Attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Rainy Day - 60p and 24p test.-colorgraded.jpg  
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #22
Tourist

EDIT: answered my question...

what program did you use for color grading?
Robert Harbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Color curves in Vegas 7. Could be done just as easily in Final Cut, After Effects, Etc.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
There is some rolling shutter artifacts if you look for them. Mainly the lightning.
Indeed, but the interesting thing is there was no image distortion going on in your footage due to the rolling shutter. I'm just so amazed by it because no matter how hard I tried with my HV20 I always got a distorted image when the camera was in motion.
Did you run with the camera on a tripod?
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lemming View Post
Indeed, but the interesting thing is there was no image distortion going on in your footage due to the rolling shutter. I'm just so amazed by it because no matter how hard I tried with my HV20 I always got a distorted image when the camera was in motion.
Did you run with the camera on a tripod?

Yep, ran with the tripod. just gripped the head and let the legs stabilize the motion.

Because the slow mo was shot in 60i instead of 24p, rolling shutter is reduced 240 percent. (because the CMOS sensor is "read out" faster)
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #26
New Boot

I really like it! Finally something epic.
Please post some more footage. ;-D
Thanx
Josef Nazdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yep, ran with the tripod. just gripped the head and let the legs stabilize the motion.

Because the slow mo was shot in 60i instead of 24p, rolling shutter is reduced 240 percent. (because the CMOS sensor is "read out" faster)
Frankly, I didn't see any distortion in your 24p shots either. I think you have restored some of my faith in this camera with this little video.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Nice video

I know we're viewing less than minute of video but I bet that took awhile to shoot. I thought i was a well composed clip. Did you have much video thrown out? How much time was spent post to get to were ready to post? I suspect many hours. Hope you plan another shoot soon and will share it.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #29
Major Player

Solomon,

Could you clue us in on what model of tripod that was? Curious about the weight as it holds stable so well.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Color Graded vs RAW JPEG Attached....
Really nice work Solomon. Seems like underexposing in-camera and then using the Vegas color correction FX to bring up the levels a bit on green/yellow highlights is a great tip. I really like the look you created. I'm gonna try it out myself.

Also on the walking and shooting thing, you definitely have the steadiest hand out of all the stuff I've shot myself or seen other people post on line. It's a gift esp. with this camera which for me is "Shake City".
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders