DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 Device Control Preset in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/93984-hv20-device-control-preset-fcp.html)

Ed Barkley May 14th, 2007 02:14 AM

HV20 Device Control Preset in FCP

I'm having trouble capturing clips in FCP 5.1.4.

I'm in HDV 1080i60
HDV Intermediate Codec

But When I try to open the Log and Capture window It just tries to start capturing a clip without showing me the actual log and capture window.

Which device control preset are you guys using? HDV Firewire, HDV Firewire Basic, Sony HDV Firewire?

BWT I'm using a G5 Quad with 4.5 Gig Ram.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark Joseph May 14th, 2007 04:49 AM

Sony HDV Firewire works fine for me, capturing HDV 108050i tapes with a HV20E (PAL) using Mac Pro running v.5.1.4

Ed Barkley May 14th, 2007 11:39 AM

Do you just plug in the camera with the machine already booted up or do you have to reboot for it to work?

Part of the problem may be that I have a Sony DVCAM VTR plugged in to a separate firewire port on the back of the machine. It's not turned on, but maybe Final Cut is getting confused?

Elmer Lang May 14th, 2007 01:02 PM

HDV Firewire Basic works for me.

Ian Albinson May 14th, 2007 03:18 PM

Apple's Intermediate Codec capture preset doesn't give you Log and Capture options, just straight capture as you described.

Ed Barkley May 15th, 2007 01:42 AM

I have now tried a variety of things, but can only consistently get FCP to recognize the HV20 as a VTR with logging capability if I reboot the Mac and plug it in fresh. I wonder if it is a flawed camera or a drivers issue or a conflict with other gear?

Also, once I have got the logging window open, I'm regularly getting time code not found errors. I have read of other users having this problem at least.

Do any of you ever have to reboot the mac to get reliable operation?

Mark Joseph May 15th, 2007 02:06 AM

Never need to reboot - however I have no other devices on any firewire port. I recall any devices on firewire chains to cause problems in my PPC days - a slow device will cause all other devices to slow down etc.
So not recommended to have even FW HDs on the buses when capturing. Well maybe it's all fixed in these Intel Macs but that was the case for PPC Macs.

Ed Barkley May 16th, 2007 10:13 PM

Does the HV20 have to be preset to a specific mode for the Log and Capture window to work properly. Obviously, I'm in Tape Mode and the Camera is set to Play, but do I need to specify something else?

Ed Barkley May 16th, 2007 10:35 PM

Ah, Ha!

Setting my capture preset to HDV Intermediate is definitely the problem.

What is the drawback to grabbing directly into "HDV" instead of "HDV Intermediate"?