San Francisco Weekend Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 14th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

San Francisco Weekend Footage

Friends,

Here is some footage I recently edited: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N3TXP72X

It's a 6 minute clip. The original is over 950 MB; I compressed it down to 200+ MB so I can upload. Obvisouly I had to trade quality for file size.

It's an mpeg. Plays with the latest Windows Media Player, or VLC Player.

Turn your speakers on. There's a nice foot-tapping song in the background.

- anil.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

it's Canon HV20. Completely handheld - no tripod usage. Some shots are digitally zoomed in post for effect.

- a.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

what were yo u setting did yo ushoot 24p or 60 i and if 24p did you use cinema mode? also thanx for sharing the footage

peace n luv

Martin
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Martin,

it's 24P with Cinemode.

- anil.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good shots, good handheld moves (especially the rotation one) with good "Bollywood style" music. :)

BUT I think is too long... I guess because the song. I prefer shorter edits, even if I have to re-edit the song himself.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I thought it was well shot and edited. Lots of variety in the scenes. plenty going on all the time, and great camera work. I would have prefered it to be half as long and posted in HD to show off the cameras HD quality. Thanks for sharing you video. I would have never guessed it was all hand held and taped on an HV20 after hearing all the complaints about 24P and wobble. I think you just blew a hole right through those complaints.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Nice footage. Your handheld technique is really good. Though I agree with the previous post about posting in HD.
BTW did you increase the playback speed while editing?
Ajit B.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Ajit,

you're right. Sometimes I sped them up, sometimes slowed down and a couple of times reversed the clips to match the music beat. The sea gull closeup, for example, was 4 times the original speed.

My trick for steady handheld shots is to shoot while holding the breath and standing still. I can still pan and tilt the camera without noticeable shake. Such shots, I won't shoot for more than 15 seconds (as I don't want to mess up my lungs).

I'll try to limit my future clips to 4 minutes or less.

Cheers,

- anil.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i notice the footage lookes not as sharp on the cinemode almost dust like and older 1970, 1980 dvd kung fu movie i think that what i mean any one chime in if they understand what i mean it look dusty like, but loved the footage and the 6 minutes was just fine with me i apprecitate the time you gave too put it up and show to us

peace n luv

Martin
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Newsome View Post
i notice the footage lookes not as sharp on the cinemode ....

Martin
The lack of sharpness is due to excessive compression. As I mentioned in the opening post, it's an 1GB clip reduced to 200 MB for ease of upload/download. The 'dusty' look in some of the moving shots is because of the dirty windshield of the car I's shooting from.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders