DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What brand tape are you using? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/94172-what-brand-tape-you-using.html)

Allan Black May 15th, 2007 11:11 PM

What brand tape are you using?

Hi all, what brand HDV tapes is everyone using in their HV20s? The Canon HDVM-E63PR are $A23 here and the JVC equivalent are $A9.50ea. I'm going to try Panasonic AY-DVM83MQ, anyone using those?

Also the manual says not to use a 'wet' lube type cleaning tape, would you think that means, no 'wet' tapes at all? Thx.

Mark Joseph May 15th, 2007 11:43 PM

I just ordered a box of Sony HDV tapes from this seller, cost incl shipping was about AUD$12.20 a tape. I might add, although my existing Sony DVM60 work fine so in v. brief tests, I might use the HV20 as second-unit for 16:9 SD event video - I need the reliability so opted for genuine Sony HDV media. (I'll shoot HDV & down-convert on computer)

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Alpha-Pro-Camera

On an unrelated note, my Ebay battery & charger arrived from HK. Battery claims "made in Japan", but take that with a grain of salt (maybe cells only). I am curious whether the charger is properly rated. The output on the charger is 8.4V, 4.2W -from this I calculated it will supply 500mA of current to the 1500 mAh Lithium-ion battery.

Anil Dasari May 15th, 2007 11:44 PM

Allan,

I am using TDK MiniDV tapes with Canon HV20 (Same tapes as the ones I used with my old DV camcorder). I don't think there's any difference between these and the so called 'HDV enhanced' tapes, as some tapes are advertised. Since both types of tapes record data in digital format, the question 'Does a HDV tape record better quality video than DV tape?' is meaningless. However, HDV tapes are supposed to reduce the likelihood of drop-outs. But, dropouts don't happen that often any way.

There's a great deal of info about DV vs HDV tapes at this link:

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=1744

- anil.

Javier Gallen May 16th, 2007 02:06 AM

As I learn at work, there is the same chance of failing with a regular tape, than with a "High-End Super PRO" expensive one. The only REAl difference I can see, is the number of times you can rewrite on the same tape until it starts droping here and there.

Richard Mather May 16th, 2007 02:39 AM

I use normal sony dvm60prl tapes in my hv10. Not had any issues so far. I dont rerecord over any of them however.

Austin Meyers May 16th, 2007 04:40 AM

i've been using the panasonic PQ's i think i've had maybe 1 or 2 drop outs in 20 some odd tapes, and i think that's more an issue of cleaning the cam since i've been using it as a logging deck mostly.

Josh Reiss May 18th, 2007 05:32 AM

I was talking with a really nice and knowledgable rep in one of the stores, and he was saying that the cheaper tapes are made "cheaper" and leave more shedding in the camera... making so they need to be cleaned more often and can fail easier.
he claimed to have had this issue with a few customers

I ignored him at first, and tried using tdk tapes in my hv20, and within the first 4 tapes, I got a message to clean the heaads. I'm not risking it... I'm sticking to sony HDV tapes from now on...

also, make sure that the tapes you get are the same type of lubricant (wet or dry) supposedly you can stick with either type so long as you don't switch back and forth which can cause the heads to get mucked up...

good luck!
-Josh

David Susilo May 18th, 2007 08:03 AM

Panasonic AMQ for me.

Colin Gould May 18th, 2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Reiss (Post 681503)
I was talking with a really nice and knowledgable rep in one of the stores, and he was saying that the cheaper tapes are made "cheaper" and leave more shedding in the camera... making so they need to be cleaned more often and can fail easier.
he claimed to have had this issue with a few customers

I ignored him at first, and tried using tdk tapes in my hv20, and within the first 4 tapes, I got a message to clean the heaads. I'm not risking it... I'm sticking to sony HDV tapes from now on...

also, make sure that the tapes you get are the same type of lubricant (wet or dry) supposedly you can stick with either type so long as you don't switch back and forth which can cause the heads to get mucked up...

good luck!
-Josh

Given what you just said above, you're note going to switch that TDK-used HV20 to wet Sonys, are you?? that's exactly the dry->wet switch you want to avoid!

I've been using regular TDK DVM60 tapes on both my Optura Pi and my HV20 and never had any dropouts or problems; I had some on my Optura when I switched brands on a trip, plus was exposed to lots of humidity/temp changes, that's it.
I have around 50hrs on the HV10; I record each tape twice (blackstripe, then record, and have played back each once or twice), and no problems so far.)

I think best to just stick w/ what you're used to, if you can afford HDV pro tapes, then go for it; I can't for so many kids/home videos :) they don't pay the way!

Ajit Bikram May 18th, 2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Gould (Post 681560)
Given what you just said above, you're note going to switch that TDK-used HV20 to wet Sonys, are you?? that's exactly the dry->wet switch you want to avoid!......

Are you sure that Sony still uses wet lubricant? I had the idea that they moved to dry type few years back.

Anyway I am using TDK too!

George Ellis May 18th, 2007 10:00 AM

Here is the most important note about tapes

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....4&postcount=81

Pick any. Stick with it.

Me, I am using Fuji DVC tapes.

Ian Albinson May 18th, 2007 10:04 AM

Started with the older Panasonic MQ and now using the AMQ.

Povl H. Pedersen May 18th, 2007 02:45 PM

I use Sony Premium. Cheap tapes, available all over the place here in northern Europe. Data rate is same between DV and HDV, and I not had dropouts with the old DV, so I decided to continue with these in the HV20.

Steve Wolla May 18th, 2007 06:46 PM

I am switching to the Sony Digital Master tapes because I have had problems with both the PRL and EXL series. Iknow that each tape out there is not perfect and all will occasionally have issues. I did see a diff in the performance between the lower line sony tapes and the Digital Master series. I saw some drop outs and blocking when using Sony Excellence, which is supposeely a step up from Premium. Did not see the same thing using Digital Master.
In any case I will use the Sony DM for paid work, when I cannot take a chance. The fact that it is made to slightly higer standards should produce an advantage in reliability.
I shoot about 100+ tapes a year, do not re-record over them and generally don't have any real problems when shooting DV. In HDV, I am seeing a difference.

Norm Goodger May 21st, 2007 02:30 PM

I see mentions of Sony, Fuji, Maxell, TDK, what about Canon's tapes? Are they just more expensive and not really any better than some of the other HD tapes?

Are HD tapes preferred for the HV20 over the non HD miniDV tapes, does it really make a significant difference, other than cost for the non-pro user that wants quality video of family events, vacations, etc..

David Susilo May 21st, 2007 02:32 PM

"HD tapes" are marketing gimmick. Just get good quality tapes and you're set. I always use Panasonic AMQ and they are fine, so far.

I've never used Canon tapes for 2 reasons:

1. they don't manufacture tapes
2. they cost an arm and a leg

Mark Phillips May 21st, 2007 02:44 PM

Panasonic PQs here, I've used them exclusively now for several years in a variety of DV cameras and now in my HV20...no dropout issues or any other concerns.

Norm Goodger May 21st, 2007 03:19 PM

Where online is a good place to buy tape for reasonable prices, any suggestions? Or is that out of bounds for the forum??

Michael Rosenberger May 21st, 2007 09:58 PM

Have been using Sony PR60's since I bought my first mini-dv camera. Work just fine in the Canon HV20 for me.

Steve Wolla May 21st, 2007 11:07 PM

The Canon tape that ships with the Canon XHA1 seems to be a Sony. Same case, results, etc.

Norm Goodger May 22nd, 2007 06:32 AM

What about tapes found at local electronics stores, I see Fuji DVCM603PK, or Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ3, JVC MDV60DU3, in 3 packs for about $20.

Then there are the Panasonic AY-DVM80EJ2, Panasonic AYDVM80XJ2, and JVC MDV63HD2HT in two packs for for about $22-25.. Any issues with these tapes?

I don't see many of the other tape's mentioned here in local stores, only online.. Which is Ok, if you buy a number of tapes up front, but sometimes not convenient if something crops up and you used your last tape..

Mike Dulay May 22nd, 2007 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Wolla (Post 683514)
The Canon tape that ships with the Canon XHA1 seems to be a Sony. Same case, results, etc.

I always thought Panasonic made Canon tapes, but that was years ago. Is there a signature or serial on tapes that indicate which OEM made it?

Glenn Thomas May 22nd, 2007 07:05 AM

I just use whatever's cheapest. Normally a pack of 5.. Most of those I've used over the past year are Fuji. No problems at all, even with the 80 minute tapes.

Steve Chikesh May 22nd, 2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Susilo (Post 683237)
"HD tapes" are marketing gimmick. Just get good quality tapes and you're set. I always use Panasonic AMQ and they are fine, so far.

I've never used Canon tapes for 2 reasons:

1. they don't manufacture tapes
2. they cost an arm and a leg

I've been soaking up all the great info here and decided that I don't need a HDV specific tape for my HV20. I've had it for a week now and am itching to use it, so I made the choice to try the Panasonic AMQ tape.
But looking on one sellers web site - it states that the AMQ runs for 63min in Mini DV, and only 42min for DVCAM/HDV. Is this true?

Have you noticed this run time difference David? If true, it's actually more expensive to shoot in HDV then say the Sony DVM63HD, in terms of cost per minute.
It's the last thing holding me back from finally choosing my poison :p

David Susilo May 22nd, 2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Chikesh (Post 683773)
I've been soaking up all the great info here and decided that I don't need a HDV specific tape for my HV20. I've had it for a week now and am itching to use it, so I made the choice to try the Panasonic AMQ tape.
But looking on one sellers web site - it states that the AMQ runs for 63min in Mini DV, and only 42min for DVCAM/HDV. Is this true?

Have you noticed this run time difference David? If true, it's actually more expensive to shoot in HDV then say the Sony DVM63HD, in terms of cost per minute.
It's the last thing holding me back from finally choosing my poison :p

that's true AND untrue at the same time.

miniDV and HDV runs at the same rate (63 min tape, 63 min recording time)
DV CAM, on the other hand, runs at the faster rate (63 min tape, 42 recording time).

Victor Horz May 22nd, 2007 11:47 AM

I use Panny PQs. They are cheap, work well, and have great reviews.

Chris Leong May 22nd, 2007 12:03 PM

Panasonic PQs on everything (multiplie SD & HD cams), ever since they first came out. No dropout issues ever (so far), but no re-using tapes either. Tape cleaner through a camera when it enters my workflow.

Norm Goodger May 22nd, 2007 12:14 PM

Guess, I am still sort of curious whether the slightly cheaper Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ tapes would be OK, or whether the PQ, though I cannot seem to spot them on store shelves are worth ordering from someplace with reasonable pricing..??

Chris Leong May 22nd, 2007 12:18 PM

Used the cheaper 60s before PQs came out. They're okay. No dropout issues with SD, used one time only, though. Didn't use these with HDV at all, though, sorry i can't be of more help. Now buy my PQs through Amazon.com for pretty good prices.

Cheap for its own sake begets cheap, don't forget.
Coming from film where the stock alone starts $10 per minute average (no processing or telecine, just the stock), I find it easy to pay $7 to $15 per hour, total.
What we're after here is cost effectiveness.
More than that is putting your money straight into someone else's profit margin.
Quality first, but after that, value for money, right?

Victor Horz May 22nd, 2007 02:51 PM

I get mine at supermediastore.com.

They sell it $17 for 5 tapes which works out to $3.40 per tape.

http://supermediastore.com/panasonic...-tape-5pk.html

David Susilo May 22nd, 2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Horz (Post 684007)
I get mine at supermediastore.com.

They sell it $17 for 5 tapes which works out to $3.40 per tape.

http://supermediastore.com/panasonic...-tape-5pk.html

don't forget to calculate and pro-rate the shipping fee.

Steve Chikesh May 22nd, 2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Susilo (Post 683876)
that's true AND untrue at the same time.

miniDV and HDV runs at the same rate (63 min tape, 63 min recording time)
DV CAM, on the other hand, runs at the faster rate (63 min tape, 42 recording time).

So, just an error on the web sites part. Thanks for clearing that up David. http://xs115.xs.to/xs115/07191/werenotworthy.gif

Salah Baker May 22nd, 2007 08:03 PM

Ive used the cheap pannys PQ?(by the crate bout $3.50 US) over the years.
When I got new cameras I went to Sony HD tapes (bout $10 us)Guess what?
I had more dropouts in a week with the Sony tapes than I did with the Cheap tapes in 5 years.
Better yet- now using cheap tapes in it, it works just fine.

Go figure?
Kinda like using a panny 1400 (guess what dvcpro hd worked fine on a 1200 with these tapes) deck and the old tapes AJ-P126L were 25 bucks and all of a sudden you have to use ELG/EMG tapes that cost allllllot more.
Still using 126L tapes ....guess what....its all good

David Susilo May 22nd, 2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Chikesh (Post 684179)
So, just an error on the web sites part. Thanks for clearing that up David. http://xs115.xs.to/xs115/07191/werenotworthy.gif

no probs! Just realized that you're a fellow Aussie! I'm from Perth, WA.

Steve Chikesh May 22nd, 2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Leong (Post 683918)
What we're after here is cost effectiveness.
More than that is putting your money straight into someone else's profit margin.
Quality first, but after that, value for money, right?

Exactly. So based on this theory, if I could get a Panny DVM63AMQ for $11, and a JVC M-DV63PRO-HD for $9 - which is the most cost effective?

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Susilo (Post 684224)
no probs! Just realized that you're a fellow Aussie! I'm from Perth, WA.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few Aussies surfing these boards - nice to make your acquaintance. http://xs115.xs.to/xs115/07191/wave.gif
So, you in Canada for work or for good...

David Susilo May 23rd, 2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Chikesh (Post 684296)
Exactly. So based on this theory, if I could get a Panny DVM63AMQ for $11, and a JVC M-DV63PRO-HD for $9 - which is the most cost effective?

IIRC, JVC doesn't manufacture tapes (I may be wrong). If they don't manufacture tapes and their tapes are lower priced than a company that manufacture tapes, logically (I'm not saying whether it's correct or otherwise) I trust the ones produced by a company that owns a tape manufacturing plant. At the same time, I'm biased against Sony, Maxell and JVC tapes (had experiences of dropouts with those brands).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Chikesh (Post 684296)
Yeah, I've seen quite a few Aussies surfing these boards - nice to make your acquaintance. http://xs115.xs.to/xs115/07191/wave.gif
So, you in Canada for work or for good...

Unfortunately for the time being my status is "for good" but I'm still trying to find a way to go back there one day even if it's "only" going to be my final resting place. Although I'm an Indonesian-born, Aussie-raised, Chinese-Canadian. I feel myself more of an Australian than anything else... which is ironic since the only country of those three that I don't have citizenship of is Australia. :(

Glenn Thomas May 23rd, 2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Susilo (Post 684466)
I'm an Indonesian-born, Aussie-raised, Chinese-Canadian.

Haha, my wife's Indonesian Chinese with Australian citizenship. No plans to move to Canada though, but may eventually visit for a holiday one day.

Back on topic, the only tapes I've ever had problems with were Panasonic. The problems occurred using a Panasonic camera too.

Chris Leong May 23rd, 2007 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=Steve Chikesh;684296]Exactly. So based on this theory, if I could get a Panny DVM63AMQ for $11, and a JVC M-DV63PRO-HD for $9 - which is the most cost effective?

Assuming that the JVC tapes don't give you any problems, then it would be them, wouldn't it? In your case.
Me, I went for the Panny PQ's for $3.50 per hour... Work well. For me.

David Susilo May 23rd, 2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas (Post 684618)
Haha, my wife's Indonesian Chinese with Australian citizenship. No plans to move to Canada though, but may eventually visit for a holiday one day.

Back on topic, the only tapes I've ever had problems with were Panasonic. The problems occurred using a Panasonic camera too.

Just gimme a holler when you guys are coming here for a visit!

back on topic. Tapes, or anything for that matter, seems to be like "meant to be or not" situation. Me, for example, have never had good luck using Samsung and Sigma products, but my friend had nothing but great luck using Samsung and Sigma products. So the moral of this post is that if you've found something that works for you, stick with it.

Neo Castillo May 23rd, 2007 02:58 PM

Any one else using Fuji Tapes?