HV20 back to tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 back to tape

Anyone know how to go back to tape?

I'm having trouble using FCP 5.1.4. For one thing, in the View pulldown, I can't change External Video from Off to All Frames. Nor does refreshing A/V Devices help.

Usually with my DVX100 I could just click Refresh A/V Devices and the sequence would appear in the LCD.

When I tried print to video it conformed HDV and then waited for me to turn on the HV20, but there didn't seem to be any way to activate record. Not hitting Start/Stop or Start/Stop and Play.

Wassup?

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

See page 71 of your manual.

In short, press Function, then select "REC PAUSE" and then "EXECUTE." To start recording, press play/pause under the LCD.

As far as I know, Print to Video (and the conforming process) is the only way to get back to tape. I don't know if you're using 24p, but I was only able to get the HV20 to record a 60i stream.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd just add that I have recorded DV and HDV back to tape using iMovie. One thing that confused me at first was that the HV20 had to be on 'play' and not 'camera' as I expected. iMovie automagically made the camera record to tape without pressing any buttons on the camera.
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Svec View Post
I'd just add that I have recorded DV and HDV back to tape using iMovie ... iMovie automagically made the camera record to tape without pressing any buttons on the camera.
I'll have to try that. How long did it take iMovie to conform the HDV? It seems to take forever in FCP.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, gents!

@ Brandon

Hey, I like that automagically! It's right up there with immediaventually in my book!

what book is that?,
elmer
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Snook View Post
I'll have to try that. How long did it take iMovie to conform the HDV? It seems to take forever in FCP.
It did take a long time. I think it was around an hour for an 8 minute video. I'm using a 1.8 G5 iMac.
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Snook View Post
See page 71 of your manual.

In short, press Function, then select "REC PAUSE" and then "EXECUTE." To start recording, press play/pause under the LCD.

As far as I know, Print to Video (and the conforming process) is the only way to get back to tape. I don't know if you're using 24p, but I was only able to get the HV20 to record a 60i stream.
so what settings did you have in audio video playback?! I was trying to print to video and the hv20 doesn't seem to see the signal....

thanks!
-Josh
Josh Reiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Not sure what your problem is but sounds like what happened to me.

When you hit Rec/Pause and the red light starts blinking you've got to start Print to Tape quickly or you get a message on the lcd saying what you wrote in your post.

Good luck.
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #9
New Boot

I'll try that!
and is it the full resolution even though it's playing back weird on the apple lcd monitor?
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #10
New Boot

hmmn... I'm getting an error on the hv20
"check the hdv/dv input"

am I just pressing the button at the wrong time?
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That's the message I got when I didn't hit the start for Print to Tape quick enough. When you press 'Rec/Pause' click the Print to Tape button right away, within 3-4 blinks of the red record light on the lcd.

Now, if your problem before was different, you may still have problems. But try this a couple times before getting too discouraged. I had to.

What are your Audio/Video Settings in FCP, btw? Make sure they're HDV 1080i60. Which for me includes HDV Firewire Basic in the Device Control Preset. I can't capture any other way. And I imagine holds true for the Print to Tape.

Good luck 2!
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i am assuming going back to minidv tape is for archiving/storage after editing? good idea but why does it take like an hour to transfer 8 minutes?
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

@Owen

There seems to be that problem. So far I've only archived a two minute short. The Conforming HDV thang took about 2 minutes.

I assume you'd already rendered your sequence, which included Conforming HDV, though it seems to want to do it again in Print to Tape. Not improbably, for me the last conforming wasn't as long, like I say, about 2 minutes.

If my assumption is right, it is troubling. Imagine an hour project...
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Elmer, i guess after hours of editing it shouldn't be too bad.. the way i look at it is like having a (free) mini LTO storage. the occasional dropout is more assuring..
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM   #15
Contributor

i can't get the camera to say "hdv in", i have occasionally gotten it to see the stream but it's showing it as "dv in" can anyone list the specs end to end on how to get it captured back to tape in hdv? i've used the firewire hdv and basic varieties, i've worked through everything posted above, and still nothing... i must be missing something in the cam setup or the fcp setup.

also of note for a brief moment under the view menu in video playback it showed "hdv 60i, 24p, 50i, and 25p as options where it normally says apple firewire 720x..." but i can't manage to duplicate that either.

Last edited by Austin Meyers; May 21st, 2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: add'l info
Austin Meyers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders