HV10 comparision standard / Raynox HD-5050PRO lens - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #31
New Boot

Bert - What thread was this (the link only is the image) and what lens is this?
- John
John Hinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Regular Crew

John - It's the Century Optics 0.55x fixed lens. I posted the link to the thread earlier but here is is again: <link>
Bert Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #33
New Boot

Thanks Bert - I wish the photo example was a little better. I'm not so concerned about the barrel distortion (after all it would be about a 24mm equivalent FL for 35mm film), but rather the corner sharpness and CA. Even my 20/2.8 Nikor has barrel distortion, but it's really wide so I'm not dissapointed. - John
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I agree John, the posted sample is too small but the poster did say that there is some loss of sharpness at the edges, although it doesn't look as bad as my lens. I just ordered a Sony 0.7x adapter that's supposedly designed for their HD camcorders, but I have tempered expectations at this point... This will be my last and final attempt at getting a WA adapter.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #35
New Boot

Bert - There's this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=75774&page=2) where Haywood Giles used a Raynox HD-6600PRO49 49mm on his HV10 and the pictures actually look pretty good. His picture with the zoom + WA appears to be the wrong one (same as the zoom without the WA). The 43mm version may be just as good.

I'm considering going this route as this lens is $119 @ B&H and is a mm or so wider than the Canon 0.7x and is a zoom through. Another option would be to get the Raynox 5050Pro and just not use it at the widest angle. It would be good if someone took some picts at various zoom/aperature settings to see where the corners get soft on the 5050Pro.
- John
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Well - you would get excited about it if that was what you were after. The thing that bothers me about barrel distortion (apart from the obvious bowing of door frames as you track room to room) is that it barrels *everything* you photograph. In my case that includes the bride and her mother, and that 'thickening in the middle' is not an attractive trait.

If you shoot the side of a house with a barrel distorting lens you'll know what I mean - it appears as if the building is full of compressed air, and is about to burst. So too with people.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The Raynox 6600PRO is one of the least barrel distorting converter lenses I know, but Raynox are quick to point out that the image does soften noticeably beyond the half-way mark. So if you have a 12x zoom, consider it a 6X with the 6600 in place.

I suspect it's because one of the three elements used in its construction is an aspheric. The 6600 I had a couple of years back only seemed to have a single coating rather than the multi-coaring of much more expensive lenses, so it's best kept well hooded when you're out there in the sunshine.

So you want to see how much your camera+attachment lens distorts? Simple. Attach the wide-converter, zoom to wide angle, leave in auto focus and auto exposure and approach your flat screen TV. Go close enough so the TV's mask is just inside your v'finder frame, and what do you see?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #38
New Boot

Well, I'm going to order the Raynox HD-6600PRO43 (I see no reason to go with the 49mm threaded version as it is the same lens as the 43 - same external dimensions and front element diameter and weight) as soon as B&H opens up for business today. I'll shoot some stills and try to share some samples. I may get a HD-5050Pro later on just for the extra wide capability and not use it wide open to limit the corner problems.

- John
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hinkey View Post
[...] I may get a HD-5050Pro later on just for the extra wide capability and not use it wide open to limit the corner problems. [...]
Zooming in does not have as much effect on the corner problem as you might think. Closing the shutter as fas as possible reduces the effect pretty much, but to make it totally disappear, you have to almost zoom in as far as the widest postion of the standard lens.

Maybe I can take tomorrow some sample shots, where I zoom in little steps.

Right now I help myself by simply not using the 37/37mm spacer. However this is a solution I am not really happy with - I can't even screw the filter in for more than a 4/5 of a single turn before it heavily touches the lens cover of the HV-10. I also think the coating of the lens will pretty soon suffer because of this treatment. :-(

Right now I am in Tokyo - tomorrow I want to go to Akihabara, what is something like electronic-shoppers-paradise. I hope to find a 37/37 spacer that is slim enough to solve the problem or I would go for a Raynox 6600PRO or a Sony or Canon WA lens.

Regards, Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi!

I have just bought a Canon WD-H37C.
As I thought the comparision between the WD-H43C and the Raynox HD-5050PRO might also be interesting for others, I have started a new thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=687043

Regards,

Oliver

Last edited by Oliver Reik; May 27th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Reik View Post
I have just bought a Canon WD-H43C.
You say that you have bought a WD-H37C in the referenced thread!
Please, confirm which one you have finally bought...

The flowers are very nice... but not usefull to appreciate the barrel distortion of the Canon WA: may I ask you some photos of buildings, or something else permitting to see vertical and horizontal lines?
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Hi Bruno!

[QUOTE=Bruno Donnet;687090]You say that you have bought a WD-H37C in the referenced thread!
Please, confirm which one you have finally bought...
[...] [QUOTE]

I am sorry - I bought a WD-H37C after having a look at the 43mm HD-6600PRO with a 43/37mm dowconverter... ;-)

I can also add some pictures of buildings, but I can't tell when I have the time to do this. I might get next weekend until I find the time.

Regards,

Oliver
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #43
Regular Crew

I would expect that the Canon will do fine in terms of barrel distortion thanks to its smaller wide angle factor, 0.7x compared to 0.5x for the Raynox. The sample shots show that both converters yield comparable quality, the next question is whether 0.7x provides sufficient wide angle coverage.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #44
Regular Crew

@Bert:

I will answer your post in the other thread to keep it straight. Otherwise it willl get confusing.

Regards, Oliver
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #45
New Boot

Regarding the Raynox HD-6600Pro - I bought the 43mm thread version last night from B&H and should get it some time this week. I'll try to post some stills next weekend. If this is too soft in the corners I'll probably get the WD-H37c and then get a Raynox 5050 or try the single element Century optics that will only be on for wide shots.
John Hinkey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders