HV20 Fisheye - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hinkey View Post
I've got an HD-6600Pro 43mm Raynox coming the end of the week for my HV10. I'll be posting some still shots hopefully by the end of the weekend.

- John
That would be great John, looks like it should work, it's the same size as the HV20. Post us up a clip once you get some shots with it. I saw a clip using the Wide Angle that Canon makes that someone posted on here and I was impressed, it looked really nice.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barthle Jr. View Post
I've used a cheap Sony wide angle (VCL-0637 S) with a step down ring to its 37mm threads and I got no vignetting. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the glass on this Sony wide angle is too cheap for HD though.
Thomas
Vignetting is not the only problem to watch out for. AFAIK, any lens' resolution is higher near the center. You're losing resolution by using a smaller lens.

I'm anxiously waiting for John Hinkey to test his Raynox HD-6600. If the results are good, I'l get the HD-6600, but in 52mm size which is much more common than 43mm.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #18
New Boot

My Raynox HD-6600 finally came this week and I threw it on the camera and just looked at the image in the viewfinder.
Unfortunately I bought a silver-colored step up ring and the front of the ring causes a lot of internal light reflections. I'm going to paint/color it black on the inside and post some results perhaps Sat. night. Prelim. first impressions are that it does get a tad bit soft at full zoom, but this was with a wide open aperature in a fairly dark room. The corners looked OK on the LCD in my living room and barrel distortion was not noticeable. Build quality was fairly good (I'm used to the build quality of Nikkor lenses) and does appeart to have single optical coatings looking at the reflections of lights in the front/back elements. I plan to find a brick wall somewhere (local high school should do) and take some stills at various zoom and aperature settings. Hopefully will get something posted (stills only) this weekend.
Stay tuned - John
John Hinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hinkey View Post
Unfortunately I bought a silver-colored step up ring and the front of the ring causes a lot of internal light reflections. I'm going to paint/color it black on the inside and post some results perhaps Sat. night.
Thanks for the update. Looks like I made the same mistake by ordering a silvery Cokin step-up ring. Never even thought about it, just went for the thinnest ring I could find. Bummer... I'm not sure if I'll be painting it though, I don't want to have paint dust settle on the optics.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Oooh, many thanks for that bit of insight. Scratching the Cokin off my list.

Andrew.
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #21
New Boot

Argh! The weather here has forced me to put off taking some still images with the Raynox on the HV10. Maybe tomorrow if the rain lets up. I could snap some interior shots, but that wouldn't really be all that interesting now would it.
-John
John Hinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #22
New Boot

HV10 + Raynox HD6600Pro:

Well, I took a bunch of 1920x1080 still images of a brick wall at the local high school, but alas I do not have permission to post attachments. How do I get permission to do this?

So, I took stills (super fine/highest quality) over a series of fixed aperatures (F/8.0 to F2.8) with and without the Raynox attached. Unfortunately I bumped up against the 1/500 sec max shutter speed at F/4.0 and F2.8 and bright sun, so the images got brighter with the highlites burned out a bit, but you can still see any softness and some of any CA. The wall was about 10 ft. away, so the focus point was defintely not at infinity. Need a bigger brick wall and a rain-less overcast day.

Anyways, lacking the pictures I can say that at full wide the Raynox exhibits a little bit of softness and CA, but it's not bad and may not be noticeable. This was at the min aperature (F8). At F2.8 it does get a slight bit worse, but not horrible. Full zoom is not recommended. Center is clear, but the edges are really bad. With the Raynox on I zoomed in a little from full wide and the edges were really quite good.

Anyways, when I can have attachments I'll give photos along with commentary and you can see for yourself. Right now I have to say that I may get the Canon WD-H37C since if has full zoom through and maybe a 0.5x for really wide angle only shots (Century Optics single element?).

More to come - John
John Hinkey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders