Intensity Card software update, but does it... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Tourist

Intensity Card software update, but does it...

Intensity Card software update, but does it fix the HV20 issue or not?

http://blackmagic-design.com/support/software/
Greg Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

i don't recall the exact post but i do remember it was mentioned here,, the output of HDV gets downrezzed before white balance. the input is at full HD resolution. (if i am not mistaken)
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

the intensity and the hv20 work just fine together already.

terence
Terence Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes it has ben discussed in a previous post that they work fine together. i believe the original problem was with the type of cable that was used.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #5
New Boot

I've read the whole thread where you talk about getting the Intensity to work with HV20. That's great news! But why hasn't BlackMagic commented on it or publicly acknowledged it's working? The last post from Tristian Lam on May 8th shows they're having trouble getting the HV20 to work. And then another poster reported on May 9th Black Magic again saying it doesn't work. Since then nothing from them. Sure, they've been busy with the new software update today, but I still have my doubts.

I don't doubt it's working for you. But I'm concerned you are the exception, rather than the rule. I want to hear from Black Magic that it's working before I spend ~$1k for a intensity/card enclosure system for my laptop.
Joren Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

it is odd that they have not commented, weve been in email contact with them about various other things, and they respond quickly.

the original person posting that he had issues found it to be a cable. most everyone else posting "it doesnt work" including the link you referenced, does not seem to have first hand experience but is rather just repeating what others with no first hand experience have repeated. there are a few others that had issues if i recall, but none have commented yet on cable changes. as far as black magic saying it doesnt work... im still not clear on whether they actually have a cam for testing, they may just be again repeating selected customer comments.

so far, i know 3 different working systems, and im all but certian it will be 4 when i pick up my cam tomorrow.

so while i see you being skeptical about spending a bunch of cash, id say its a 99% safe purchase. getting it working with a notebook using the magma, or my own external box, now thats a second challenge which i hope to have results on very soon :)

terence
Terence Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It is not working here. I still get 480i only.

HDMI output from my HV20 is fine to HDTV. It recognizes a 1920x1080 target and does 1080i.

With the Intensity, the HV20 sees a DVI target and does 480i.

I have one of these Impact Acoustics Velocity HDMI cables on order. I'm not holding out much hope for that though. It's some money thrown to the wind on a single report.

Even if that works, I think it's hardly the case everything is just fine between the HV20 and Intensity. Blackmagic Design seems like a good company and I feel confident from what I've seen that they'll make it work reliably across the board.
Roy Colquitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joren Clark View Post
I've read the whole thread where you talk about getting the Intensity to work with HV20.

But why hasn't BlackMagic commented on it or publicly acknowledged it's working?
I've been following that other thread and wondered the same thing. It seems like BlackMagic would be the first ones to know if their product does or does not work with a specific camera, yet apparently that's not the case?

Odd.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garvin View Post
I've been following that other thread and wondered the same thing. It seems like BlackMagic would be the first ones to know if their product does or does not work with a specific camera, yet apparently that's not the case?

Odd.
Kristian Lam, the Blackmagic employee who has posted here, said that they got an HV20 shortly after NAB and subsequently posted that there was "no good news yet" but they were still working on it. "No good news" would seem to imply that it was not working for them. That could just a matter of choice of words...I would have taken "No news" to mean that he simply didn't know much about what was going on.

Since Kristian does not regularly participate here, there has simply been no update. I don't think that colors them as being non-responsive, not caring or not knowing.

I'll send an email and see if we can find out what the customer service response is.
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:

Odd.
BlackMagic is located in Australia so they weren't able to get a HV20 until they were released for the European market.

The issue is definitely related to what kind of HDMI cable you are using. I own 2 different brands of cables. Both are brand new and supposed to be able to do 1080i. One works, the other doesn't. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for this. It might be good to make a list of all the brands that work/don't work and post it for others so they don't waste their money on a bad cable.
Derek Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Colquitt View Post
Kristian Lam, the Blackmagic employee who has posted here, said that they got an HV20 shortly after NAB and subsequently posted that there was "no good news yet" but they were still working on it. "No good news" would seem to imply that it was not working for them.
Which is exactly how I took that comment.

Quote:
I don't think that colors them as being non-responsive, not caring or not knowing.
Huh??? I'm not implying that they're any of those things. In fact, I think they do care, I think they did respond and I think they do know. I believe all those things about this company and, therefore, the only conclusion is that it doesn't currently work with the HV20, just like Kristian Lam said/implied. Hence the confusion when a 3rd party shows up and has it working.

If you assume that they're non responsive, non caring and/or don't know, then there's no confusion. If you were to assume all those things, then you shouldn't be surprised at all that an end user was the first to make it work.

I'm saying that the company that makes the product that specifically picked up an HV20 to test it would be the people who would know if it works or not. If they say it doesn't work (or that there's "no good news") then I have to believe that they do not have it working.

And that's why I think it's odd that a third party, who has nothing to do with how the camera works, or how the card works, would somehow be able to make it work when the people who make the card have, apparently, not been able to make it work.

Perhaps they've gotten it to work and just haven't mentioned it, but considering they tried hard to get an HV20 while they were in Vegas, and then got ahold of one as soon as they could in Australia, one would think that they would let potential customers know if it worked. Particularly after saying/implying that it did NOT work with the HV20.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Huh??? I'm not implying that they're any of those things. In fact, I think they do care, I think they did respond and I think they do know.
You seem to have misunderstood part of what I wrote as being directed at or intended to contradict something you said. It was not.

I was merely pointing out, in addition to what you wrote, that the single Blackmagic person who has been here is not actively involved or regularly participating on this forum, so essentially there is no particular significance that can be placed on there being no comment.

There have been a few posts that have contained at least an undertone that Blackmagic is being strangely silent or that a company announcement should be expected here.
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Green View Post
BlackMagic is located in Australia so they weren't able to get a HV20 until they were released for the European market.

The issue is definitely related to what kind of HDMI cable you are using. I own 2 different brands of cables. Both are brand new and supposed to be able to do 1080i. One works, the other doesn't. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for this. It might be good to make a list of all the brands that work/don't work and post it for others so they don't waste their money on a bad cable.
That's a fine suggestion. It might even help Blackmagic in working on programming HV20 support.

Hey, if it works, I'll take it, but any compliant cable should work. I view finding a cable that works to be a fluke workaround, not a true solution. It's not even a matter of expensive (read "higher quality") cables working. The Impact Acoustics Velocity is a cheap cable. It's a third of the price of Impact Acoustics Sonicwave HDMI cable, which is guaranteed to pass 1080p, but doesn't work with my HV20 and Intensity.

I hope to have a Velocity Monday.

So Derek, what OS do you use?

I'd be really curious to know what does your HV20 setup menu say say about your connection when your on the working cable vs a non-working cable?

Mine says "1920x1080i" (and outputs 1080) when connected directly to an HDTV or a HDMI computer display that is 1680x1050.

http://www.rccvideo.com/int1.jpg

When it's connected to the Intensity, it says "DVI" and outputs 480

http://www.rccvideo.com/int2.jpg
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Walker View Post
Intensity Card software update, but does it fix the HV20 issue or not?

http://blackmagic-design.com/support/software/
No, it doesn't. Just tried the new update with my old cable and it's still no go...
Derek Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Colquitt View Post
That's a fine suggestion. It might even help Blackmagic in working on programming HV20 support.

Hey, if it works, I'll take it, but any compliant cable should work. I view finding a cable that works to be a fluke workaround, not a true solution. It's not even a matter of expensive (read "higher quality") cables working. The Impact Acoustics Velocity is a cheap cable. It's a third of the price of Impact Acoustics Sonicwave HDMI cable, which is guaranteed to pass 1080p, but doesn't work with my HV20 and Intensity.

I hope to have a Velocity Monday.

So Derek, what OS do you use?

I'd be really curious to know what does your HV20 setup menu say say about your connection when your on the working cable vs a non-working cable?

Mine says "1920x1080i" (and outputs 1080) when connected directly to an HDTV or a HDMI computer display that is 1680x1050.

http://www.rccvideo.com/int1.jpg

When it's connected to the Intensity, it says "DVI" and outputs 480

http://www.rccvideo.com/int2.jpg
You've got the Sonic Wave and it doesn't work? This is really puzzling. And you say it works on your TV so we know the cable is good for 1080... this must be a quality control issue with the Intensity cards being very sensitive to impedance or something. I don't know, I'm not an electronics engineer... So maybe you're right, it's a totally fluke that some cables work and some don't. I really hope the one you ordered works, you'll have to let us know.

Those screenshots are exactly what I get: the 1920x1080 for my good cable, and DVI for my bad cable.

I've got a Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, Nvidia 7300 GS, NOKIA CRT 22", running WinXP Professional 32bit. Have you tried doing a clean install of your operating system? I was going to try that right before I stumbled across it being the cable.
Derek Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders