Low light "dark bar" video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 27th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Low light "dark bar" video

I went to the darkest bar i know of and filmed this.
It doesn't take much light to improve the quality. In other words - the camera does NOT need tons of light.
However it was struggling to see and it was difficult to focus, even with the focus assistant. This was a very poor place to film (good place to test its limits)
Settings: Shutter priority 30
Shade setting ( i should of set white balance)
HDV standard (non 24p)
Pulled off camera with firewire and edited with Premier Pro 2.0
No color correction or contrast adjustments (when editing), i only adjusted opacity when fading.

I took a bandwidth hit on the last video so im going to try blip for this one.
Both files are the same, one is high def (1280x720 @ 10171kbps) the other is 700 x 394 with a low bit rate.
http://blip.tv/file/get/Road82-LowLightBOG16mb582.wmv Small 16mb file
http://blip.tv/file/get/Road82-LowLightBOG950.wmv Big 104mb
Its a 2 minute video.

Last edited by Chad Aaron; May 27th, 2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: file size
Chad Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Not bad, sometimes I wonder what kind of low light quality reviewers expect when they say the HV20, I assume, doesn't do well in low light... Seems more like settings to me...

I think most any camera struggles to auto-focus in low light..

It seems pretty candid, did anyone notice that you taping?
Norm Goodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #3
New Boot

I asked everyone except the guy eating.

That was one of the first things i read about the camera when i started researching it. Don't remember where i read it but they said it does poorly in low light. It does just as well as my Panasonic GS500 - not that that is the ultimate camera in low light.

It does fine in low lighting i think. The test for me is how it does on the 4th of July. With the fireworks. If it passes that test i will be very happy!
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Aaron View Post
I asked everyone except the guy eating.

That was one of the first things i read about the camera when i started researching it. Don't remember where i read it but they said it does poorly in low light. It does just as well as my Panasonic GS500 - not that that is the ultimate camera in low light.

It does fine in low lighting i think. The test for me is how it does on the 4th of July. With the fireworks. If it passes that test i will be very happy!
I just sold my 500 and have an HV20. I think it does better in low light than the 500. What I especially like about this cam is the ability to trick it in not applying any gain (in dark areas). It's not as sensitive as a DVX but it is adequate.
That first video byt the way was nice...second one stil downloading. Good choice in music (it fit the scene well).
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I find it a lot better in 24/25p mode for low light. Its awesome this way.
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Major Player

It doesn't look too bad actually. The usual bit of noise of course. Wonder what kind of lighting Canon used for their HV20 clubs shot in a night club/bar also.

Funny, you never got permission from the guy eating? He appeared the most throughout the clip that I assumed he must have been a friend.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders