Capturing HV20 Footage to Laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing HV20 Footage to Laptop

I would imagine that by using a Blackmagic Design or similar solution one could capture live footage from the HV20 to a laptop computer via the HDMI out port. Are there any products that do this already? Even if my hard drive wasn't fast enough to capture at those data rates, couldn't I use the laptops screen as a monitor for accurate focus and such?

Do any of you capture live to a desktop machine in your studio, now?
Ed Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure Premiere Pro CS3 has that ability and there's third party software out there that lets you capture directly from the camera, I can't think of any off the top of my head but I remember reading about some. Premiere Pro CS2 might even let you do it. Hopefully someone chimes in and knows what programs work best. But my Dell Inspiron laptop has had no problem capturing with the fire wire port from the MiniDV tapes. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to capture live using the same port.

Scott
Scott Turkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

VLC player will show HDV footage "live" full-screen, from the HDV firewire port, if you set to the capture device etc. I doubt it will do from HDMI port. (It doesn't actually capture, just displays live. It will do deinterlace etc if you set it.)

But, why would you want to/care (hdmi over firewire/hdv)?
I doubt many/any laptop screens have the resolution and color purity to tell any difference between firewire HDV and uncompressed HDMI... let alone speed/bandwidth to do uncompressed captures.

Firewire VLC display should work for focus and general monitoring at least.
Not sure why you are set on the hdmi.
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Major Player

What about the Aja/Apple IO/HD?
could you capture HDMI to Prores 4:2:2?
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Major Player

CineForm? Magma? Decklink? Still on the fence with it.
Will try at another time but I think Mr. Benton is in the same game.
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

there no hdmi notebook solution at the moment. the magma bog is comign soon, but isnt that small and needs to be plugged in and costs alot. im working on my own solution, but im not sure when that will be available.

but if you only want a nice preview and not to capture.. just find the smallets tv/monitor with hdmi. or use the component out. that will get you what youd like i think.

terence
Terence Krueger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders