HV20: LCD display choppy at 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20: LCD display choppy at 24p

Okay, I was intending to get an HV20 tomorrow (Saturday) and decided to go to Fry's to take another long look and play around with the menu settings more. During this, I discovered that when the HV20 is set for 24p, the video showing in the LCD display appears choppy like stop animation. Saying this in an amusing way, it's like 24p = 24ms. pause between frame capture. LOL!!!

But seriously, is this the expected behavior of the camera's LCD when set for 24p?

Perhaps there were some other settings I overlooked, but when I switched the camera to regular HDV 1080i and SD Normal/Wide, the preview on the LCD was smooth, it only became choppy when set for 24p.

Okay...I need to elaborate on this. After I set the HV20 for 24p, I was doing a really slow pan (and I mean really slow) left/right/up/down while viewing the LCD, and that's when the choppiness was noticed. Now I didn't think to leave the camera stationary and point it at moving people, but I would assume that the LCD would display choppy regardless.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95093
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had previously read through some of those posts and didn't quite make the connection...meaning that it would be viewable in the LCD.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi nathan,
As I told previously in the thread that Jay mentioned (also supported by some other more experienced people) that 24p would also look choppy in LCD if you dont go to Tv mode and set the shutter to 1/48 or 1/24 manually. (1/24 would also make the video a bit blurry)
And you do have to pan quite smoothly. I have found hv20 to be quite shake prone in hand.
If you want to try it out in a shop I think the best thing you can do is to go to 24p and also switch on cinemode (which as I understood tries to keep the shutter at 1/48)

Jay: Have you been able to shoot some smooth motion? please let me know.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders