HV20: to CINE MODE or not - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 24th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #76
Major Player

never mind
I think I misunderstood the post I was replying to.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #77
Major Player

The main issue I see is that we're concerned with the shutter passing 1/48, but reports in this thread are saying it's sticking close to it.

Is that what most others are finding? (How do we check again?)
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
The main issue I see is that we're concerned with the shutter passing 1/48, but reports in this thread are saying it's sticking close to it.
In cinemode it basically sticks to 1/48th unless you are shooting in too low light. Unfortunately, at that point it starts to quickly jump to 1/32, 1/24 etc

Quote:
Is that what most others are finding? (How do we check again?)
Press down the still photo button half way and the info will appear in your display
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Yes, but don't forget you can lock it in 1/48 by locking the total exposure. Again, other are setting an exposure by using a cell phone screen, or a PS2 screen to lcok the exposure, and then use the exposure adjustment to open up a bit. They can monitor the shutter speed by half way depressing the photo button and see what the Canon adjustments are as the exposure is adjusted.
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Found this: http://videotreffpunkt.com/thread.php?threadid=2488 a really nifty software that tells you the gain so you can calibrate your cam.
Greg Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #81
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

can anybody translate the above link ( post 80)
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #82
Major Player

I used Babelfish - inputted the URL and it translated to loose english. It was a bit too much to post here, and it should be it's own thread if it's going to be of interest. Personally, I think it looks to be more trouble than it's worth, but thank you for sharing Greg.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
Personally, I think it looks to be more trouble than it's worth, but thank you for sharing Greg.
IMO, this little tool is amazing. Like Greg said, you get to see Gain values. You also see effective Aperture (a combined Aperture / ND value).

Now, if I could only figure out how to lock the exposure at 1/48...
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Let me know if anyone needs a specific translation from German (from the mentioned website). I just hope my english is good enough for you...! ;)
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea Lanzarone View Post
Let me know if anyone needs a specific translation from German (from the mentioned website). I just hope my english is good enough for you...! ;)
Well, Enea, that's very kind of you to offer! If it's not too much of fa hassle I for one would be interested in a decent translation. Perhaps it needs its own thread.

best,
elmer

ps now if you could translate a couple Thomas Mann novels...
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Yes, but don't forget you can lock it in 1/48 by locking the total exposure. Again, other are setting an exposure by using a cell phone screen, or a PS2 screen to lcok the exposure, and then use the exposure adjustment to open up a bit. They can monitor the shutter speed by half way depressing the photo button and see what the Canon adjustments are as the exposure is adjusted.
Hey Chris, do you mean in Cinemode one can lock the exposure by toggling with the SET button?

Also, I'm a bit confused, nothing new I admit, but from "Again" in your post I don't quite get what you mean. Is that the way to lock exposure or to get more latitude in the settings? And not having a cell phone or a PS2 (yes, I live in a cave) why wouldn't a sheet of white paper do?

jus' curious,
lmr
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #87
Regular Crew

It would have to be an evenly, brightly illuminated sheet of white paper to work.

Roughly translated, the goal is to saturate the sensor with enough light to force it (the automatic controls) to close everything up (high F-stop/high shutter speed) and turn down the electrical gain (because it's so bright). Then with exposure locked you have as much manual control over the optical system (by way of the Exposure setting) as you can get before electrical gain kicks in.

...At least that's my understanding of how things are working.

Aside: I've found the white background of my video iPod works too.

Andrew.

(edited to change "open everything up" to "close everything up" and "low F-stop" to "high F-stop")
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #88
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Lang View Post
Hey Chris, do you mean in Cinemode one can lock the exposure by toggling with the SET button?

Also, I'm a bit confused, nothing new I admit, but from "Again" in your post I don't quite get what you mean. Is that the way to lock exposure or to get more latitude in the settings? And not having a cell phone or a PS2 (yes, I live in a cave) why wouldn't a sheet of white paper do?

jus' curious,
lmr
Use a limestone cave wall, lighted by a torch,,,,:).

The point is before you activate exposure adjustment by depressing the joystick, you can first lock it in a non gain mode by pointing it a a fairly bright light source. As you are doing that, you activate exposure using joystick, at at that point, the camera is locked at the current exposure. You can then use the joystick to slide up and down the exposure. Eventually as you go to the plus side of exposure, you are going to break back into the gain being added, but at least this gives you a choice. If your scene is dark, you can make the choice of adding the exposure adjustment up. What people are saying here, is they want to have situation where or the ability to let the shadows go black, without camera trying to adjust exposure.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #89
Major Player

Andrew and Chris describe it well - of course, it helped I saw the Quicktime video they're referring to too - highly recommend everyone watches it!

http://www.dvinfo.net/media/canon/hv...urecontrol.mov
Patrick Jennings video about HV20 aperture control.
I'd think pointing at the sun should work too ;)
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Lang View Post
If it's not too much of fa hassle I for one would be interested in a decent translation.
Actually, I like translation work, no problem! Now what exactly would you like to know (I suppose technical information is most important)? I'm just asking because the thread on that website is 9 pages long (close to 200 posts!), that would come close to translating Thomas Mann! ;)
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders