Stay with 43mm or change? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stay with 43mm or change?

I was wondering how many of you stuck with the 43mm diameter on the HV20 or used an adapter to go to a larger size. I ask, because it seems like in all the Best Buys and Fry's that 43mm is not a commonly stocked item and other sizes prevail. So should I stick with 43mm or move to another size perhaps? (of which they still don't have any adapters). I'll have to go to one of the other camera places in town I guess, and then they probably have 43mm, but was still curious as to what everyone else was doing.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Major Player

If you don't have a B&M store that carries 43mm then you should consider getting it online. B&H carries 43mm filters and step-up rings. I have all sorts of rings and filters from 43mm and up for special purposes (e.g. 35mm adapter). But on the HV20 itself it's 43mm to xxmm step up, UV filter, and lens cap.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
So should I stick with 43mm or move to another size perhaps? (of which they still don't have any adapters). I'll have to go to one of the other camera places in town I guess, and then they probably have 43mm
I wasn't able to find a 43mm anything anywhere locally. You might have better luck in Dallas than I did in my home town, but I ordered a step up option online. There are all kinds of cheap sources around.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you happen to have a digital SLR, check the filter sizes on those lenses as well. As a happy coincidence, my Canon XTi's EF-S 18-55 lens has a 58mm filter thread (never bothered to look until now) and I just bought a Raynox HD-7000PRO which needed a 43mm-58mm step-up ring.

Any filters I buy for the EF-S lens could be used with my HV20 and the step-up ring.

Haven't tried the HD-7000PRO with the XTi (yet). I'm a little wary because of the effect that extra mass may have on the EF-S auto-mechanics.

Andrew.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I went to an actual camera store here in town and they had a setup adapter from 43mm to 52mm, and a really nice 52mm black rubber hood. When I went back to all the other stores and double-checked, 52mm filters were a very common size that were actually stocked, so I think I may just go with that adapter.

Here's a picture link to the rubber hood I may get. It's nothing fancy but looks smart and small. I'd really like to have a "small" hood like you see on the JVC camcorders.

http://www.amazon.com/52mm-Collapsab...931518-0946866
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Major Player

I ordered a 43mm>58mm step up ring so I could use my filters from my DSLR. Before I decided on the step up ring, I bought a 43mm ND grad .6 (4X) and it was too dark. I couldn't find any .3 (2X) ones so I decided to get the step up ring since I have a 58mm .3 ND grad. It will also be nice since I will only be using the center portion of the filter. In my informal tests, it's just the right amount of grad.
I also have a 58mm CP and a set of close up diopters (marco filters). We'll how those fly on the HV20.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Trustee

A step up ring will also allow you to add more filters (if you find it necessary) without burning the corners (vignetting - filter burn). Keep in mind that adding more filters takes away more light and causes more lens flare.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
I went to an actual camera store here in town and they had a setup adapter from 43mm to 52mm, and a really nice 52mm black rubber hood. When I went back to all the other stores and double-checked, 52mm filters were a very common size that were actually stocked, so I think I may just go with that adapter.

Here's a picture link to the rubber hood I may get. It's nothing fancy but looks smart and small. I'd really like to have a "small" hood like you see on the JVC camcorders.

http://www.amazon.com/52mm-Collapsab...931518-0946866
I purchased the exact same setup from my local cord camera store, works great. We tried a canon telephoto at 52mm and it did not work at all, image was fisheyed and distorted. If i want to use a telephoto 52mm or a wide angle that is 52mm would I use a tube in the middle to get it to match up correctly?
Kevin Borein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Kevin, from what I know all Canon's lenses are digital and they don't work with the camcorders, you need extra electronics to make them work. Only Nikon, or old non-digical Canon lenses should work...

I bought a 52mm adapter too btw for my HV20, but only so I can buy 52mm filters, not for use with lenses.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #10
Regular Crew

If can help you, I bought online for my HV20, one UV and Polarizer filter 43 mm of Soligor brand.
For more info, p.se visit their website to www.soligor.com
Enrico Sasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #11
New Boot

Did you get the coated filter from Soligor or the cheaper one for your HV20?
Rob Kral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Tourist

I use both 43 and 52

I use 43 mm filters for convenience and size. UV, polarizing, color, etc. But I use a 52 mm adapter to be able to use cheap filters that I already had and also 52 mm tele and wide extensions that I use because they produce less vignetting than the 43 mm version that I tried. They were also cheaper because 52mm is a common size.
Robert Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #13
New Boot

Thanks for the info.

So, a 43mm Polarizing lense will cause vignetting and the 52mm won't?

I really do not want to have to deal with any vignetting at all.
Rob Kral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Major Player

I think 52mm is a good size for your 43mm...it will prevent vignetting (as mentioned). But also...if you want to stack filters you can without running into the same type of vignetting issues.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
I think 52mm is a good size for your 43mm...it will prevent vignetting (as mentioned). But also...if you want to stack filters you can without running into the same type of vignetting issues.
I have a step up ring to 52mm from 43mm (purchased at B&H) and it allows me to use many accessories from my 35mm camera (filters and a set of close-up lenses). All work very well and 52mm matches the body size of my HV30, so everything looks like it belongs.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders