DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   input HD video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/97118-input-hd-video.html)

Jason Dourgarian June 21st, 2007 10:00 PM

input HD video?

Hey everyone, this is my first post in these forums. I've been reading these forums for a while now but finally decided to sign up.

Anyway, I am planning on getting the Canon hv20 for sure. But I had a question for all you hv20 owners. Is it possible to import and record hd video back onto the tape?

The reason I ask is because I want to export a google earth tour from my computer through component cables and I was wondering if the canon can record from a component input.

Chris Soucy June 21st, 2007 11:00 PM

Hi Jason.............

Gee, that was a really good question.

Had to scruff the manual out of the car to answer it. You're going to be dissapointed tho' - from what I can see in the manual (unless someone corrects me later) you can't I/P on the component connector, only O/P.

I/P analogue is only available on the A/V connector, which is composite.

Sorry about that.

CS

Karel Gillissen June 21st, 2007 11:38 PM

It is very well possible. I write back my edited movies to tape as a backup when connected by Firewire.

As I am on the Macintosh platform I can only explain here how to do it on the Mac: from iMovie HD use the "Share" menu and select 'Videocamera' and in FCE/FCP you can use the option "Print to Video".
The software will create a .m2t file and write it to the tape.

I am sure you can also do it on the Windows platform but I cannot tell you how, I'm afraid.

Chris Soucy June 21st, 2007 11:44 PM

Hi Karel.

Are you copying back to the camera using Firewire or the Component connection? But you do raise an interesting point - why, Jason, go back to the camera on Component?

CS

Karel Gillissen June 21st, 2007 11:45 PM

@Chris: I use Firewire

Chris Soucy June 21st, 2007 11:51 PM

Hi..

He was asking specifically about Component, which is why it was an interesting question.

CS

Karel Gillissen June 22nd, 2007 12:02 AM

OK, sorry, I missed that detail.
I think you're right it can't be done through the component port.

Chris Soucy June 22nd, 2007 12:05 AM

That's cool.......

Do it ALL the time!

CS

Jason Dourgarian June 22nd, 2007 07:08 AM

well the reason I mention component is because that's the best connection my graphics card can output to. Unless, however, I can output to DVI and then get a dvi to hdmi converter, but I doubt the camera can import from hdmi either.

The whole reason for this is because I'm trying to avoid using screen capture software, and that's the only way I can think of for getting the on-screen activity back onto video.

Kevin Shaw June 22nd, 2007 07:18 AM

I would be surprised if that works, as it's been rare to find any device which can record an HD signal from a component connection. This could be for technical reasons but may also be a matter of piracy prevention: is there any anti-copy protection on a component connection?

Colin Gould June 22nd, 2007 08:12 AM

For SD I've recorded the SVideo out of my graphics card for a cheap movie method, works pretty well...except no SVideo in or out on the HV's :(
however, I think you're going about this the wrong way...

look for a software "screen-movie-grab" solution, eg some tool that records your screen/window output to a movie file (like some big AVI file) to harddisk.

Then, take that video file into your editor and make it whatever format you want (M2T to record back to HDV tape, or DVD or whatever)
My dad does google earth stuff this way... but I can't remember what tool he uses.

Jason Dourgarian June 22nd, 2007 12:16 PM

Yeah, I just tried Camtasia. It's pretty good but it runs wayyyy too choppy to use for a movie.

Oh well, thanks anyway guys.

James Blunt June 22nd, 2007 12:16 PM

Some others are FRAPS, HyperCam, and the one I use all the time (its free) is CamStudio.