Recording music demo clips with the HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Tourist

Recording music demo clips with the HV20

I run a small manufacturing company, and bought the HV20 to try to record amps, and show what they can do. The whole youtube thing is appealing to boost sales.

Problem is I'm not really digging the internal microphone. What can I do to get a better sound on the tape? FWIW - I have some high-end recording microphones, mic preamps, mixer, etc... but there's no apparent way to get this all into the camera.

Here's two snips of what I did already.

http://www.soultoneamps.com/clips/20WM_Wilbur.mov

http://www.soultoneamps.com/clips/18WM_Wilbur.mov
Michael Corrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Get a mic-to-line-in adapter and connect your camera to the CD player's headphone output that the singer currently uses to lip-syncs during the shooting. You will need a splitter for the cable, because if you connect it to the headphone-out the singer/artist won't be able to listen to the music to lip-sync/play-instrument. So, the 3.5mm splitter will be connecting on your HV20 and a pair of external speakers. Then, during editing, you match the waveforms.

In other words, it will sound more natural if you A/V sync it later rather than capturing the live audio -- except if that's what you want to do...
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #3
New Boot

16-bit audio & external microphone

See page 39 of the HV20 manual and be sure you have it set to capture 16-bit audio. See pages 61 & 62 about "Using an External Microphone". Pages 60 & 61 tell you how to adjust the recording level and display the audio level.
Neil Groundwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
Get a mic-to-line-in adapter and connect your camera to the CD player's headphone output that the singer currently uses to lip-syncs during the shooting. You will need a splitter for the cable, because if you connect it to the headphone-out the singer/artist won't be able to listen to the music to lip-sync/play-instrument. So, the 3.5mm splitter will be connecting on your HV20 and a pair of external speakers. Then, during editing, you match the waveforms.

In other words, it will sound more natural if you A/V sync it later rather than capturing the live audio -- except if that's what you want to do...
This is one of the more non-sequitor things I've read. There's no singer, no lip-synching, and no CD player.

The videos show me, playing a guitar amp. I want to make videos that demonstrate the amplifier features. However the sound needs to good - not a compressed cardboard sound like the clips above.
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Groundwater View Post
See page 39 of the HV20 manual and be sure you have it set to capture 16-bit audio. See pages 61 & 62 about "Using an External Microphone". Pages 60 & 61 tell you how to adjust the recording level and display the audio level.
It was in 16 bit mode. I have good external microphones, but they're xlr.

I found the Beachtek DX2-AS and just ordered it from Adorama. I should have it mid-week. I'll use it to mix the line in sound from my mixing console.

Hopefully it will work better than the built in mic.

Thanks for the advice,

Mike
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Major Player

>There's no singer, no lip-synching, and no CD player.

My reply was a generic reply on how to record music videos.

Now, if you want to specifically show the amplifier instead, then yes, you will need another way.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #7
New Boot

(I assumed Eugenia's message was mis-posted and was trying to answer the original question.)

As you figured out, the audio "line in" jack isn't available unless you are recording/converting 'analog video' thru those jacks. There have been a few discussions here about XLR and XLR converters. I think you meant the "DXA-2S" product and it looks like a good fit. Nice video idea for your site, BTW.
Neil Groundwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corrieri View Post
This is one of the more non-sequitor things I've read. There's no singer, no lip-synching, and no CD player.

The videos show me, playing a guitar amp. I want to make videos that demonstrate the amplifier features. However the sound needs to good - not a compressed cardboard sound like the clips above.
I understand why Eugenia Loli-Queru responded the way they did. Your title made me think in the same way. The heading using the words "Music demo clip" made me think pre-recorded....or in other words....recording the amp with a line input into a mixer to an external recording device would help capture the best sound off the amplifier. This way you have control over the mix (if that is what you want) in post. The camera itself would have recorded its own "compressed cardboard sound", as you previously called it, but in post you would match up (sync) the audio files in your NLE and then get rid of the cardboard" version.
Using this method you have many options in post to "clean-up whatever problems you might encounter with the audio and it's also a more controlled environment as opposed to trying to get it right on one take with the on-cam microphone.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you have the ability to send the finished product back to the tape (since you said you wanted it all on tape). This would all just be an extra effort on your part.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Also, the method I mentioned above can be used (or should be able) directly to the cam with the Beachtek Adapter you are geting (never done it myself). Just come directly off the mixer board and it's sort of the same concept as the above mentioned but there will be no post work involved (though you can still do post work if you so choose with the WAV files from the cam).

Bottom line is you got options.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders