RedRock Micro's HV20 rig - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah Baker View Post
People that worry hanging a sub 1k camera upside down is probably not who this rig is geared for.
I would guess that the rig is 3 times what the camera costs.
Unless Redrock has changed it’s pricing.
Hehe, sure but I was thinking for us other with non Redrock adapters who also want a correct picture.. ;S
Johan Bunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

More pics for drooling over... via Mike Curtis at HD For Indies, from a CineGear Expo report:

http://www.hdforindies.com/2007/06/p...-handheld.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Major Player

I guess it shows the kind of impact the HV20 has had on the industry when products like this start appearing.
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #19
Trustee

That thing looks really freaking awesome. It has a really pro look to it. People who are afraid to show up for a gig with a smaller camera won't have that problem anymore if they show up with this rig. I'm very curious about how much will it cost though.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #20
Wrangler

Am I missing a power source for the Redrock unit...? I would probably want to see a mount at the rear for a large format battery (AB or V-mount), particularly as this setup looks very front-heavy. Perfect setup actually for an HDMI recording solution to go back there...!
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #21
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes View Post
But this thing does make you think...look at where technology is today! I studied film about 7 or 8 years ago and I shot most of my projects with a Sony DCR-TRV30, which cost like 500€ more than the HV20 but had less than half the quality. Today for 1000$ you can have this little bundle...plus the huge bonus of adapters like redrock, letus, and the brevis. God bless evolution.
same as me! it's amazing where we're at now... and full-res HD via BM intensity on this camera!

i was just wondering how do they actually hook up a viewfinder to the HV20?

edit: ah, i see now on the photos from hdforindies...

Last edited by Anthony Dowman; June 28th, 2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: answered own question!
Anthony Dowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Self Built

I've been adding to my HV20 rig, and when I saw the Redrock Micro set up, I had to take the next step.....

The mount frame, and the handles, and all probably cost about $25.00 to build. I still will add a shoulder mount.

Need to figure out a follow focus next....

See photo attached...
Attached Thumbnails
RedRock Micro's HV20 rig-dsc06772.jpg  
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey Chris, I've been following your camera mount ideas and you got me looking around town at all the different 7" and 8" portable DVD player for external monitoring...great idea I had never considered.

But what I want to know today is, what did you use for the handles, where did you get those?
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #24
Regular Crew

How do you use 2 handles with an adapter? Wouldn't the image shake when you let one hand go to adjust the focus?
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
Hey Chris, I've been following your camera mount ideas and you got me looking around town at all the different 7" and 8" portable DVD player for external monitoring...great idea I had never considered.

But what I want to know today is, what did you use for the handles, where did you get those?
The DVD player is a Polaroid bought at Walmart, $100.00. Not the greatest focusing screen, but

They were in the "bracket" hanger department at Home Depot near the aluminum tubing and such. They actuall are used for hanging things on walls. More in shape of a C. Just cut off one end.
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lemming View Post
How do you use 2 handles with an adapter? Wouldn't the image shake when you let one hand go to adjust the focus?
Frist of all, while your focusing, you have to go one handed for sure, but so to with the Redrock. Second, I've already had it on my steady stick, and it help with that. Third, I just finished project last night, so I have yet to really shoot anything... Jury is out. Of course, Redrock Micro faces same issues...
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Monitoring with hv 20

I have DENVER DFT-709. Very inexpencive and very sharp(you have to tweak sharpness to the max). You can focus with it very easily. It has standard inputs and flip function and external battery pack for 10 standard AA batteries (It runs couple of hours on 2500mAh). At the bottom is also standard camera thread mount and it looks very solid and almost pro. (Little to big for hand held maybe).
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
The DVD player is a Polaroid bought at Walmart, $100.00. Not the greatest focusing screen, but...
Chris, I went looking at the portable DVD players at Best Buy, all of which had a demo disc with multiple movie shorts to play. The one thing I quickly noticed is that even though all of these portable DVD players were physically widescreen LCD's, they would only playback widescreen letterboxed. All of them had a setting to where you could get the widescreen movie clips to fill the entire LCD, but the image playing back was disproportionate...like you can often see when people don't setup their widescreen TV's correctly. Having to significantly letterbox a widescreen image (DVD) on a widescreen player just to make it look right seems like a complete waste of LCD screen.

So my question is this, when you run the HV20's signal into the player, does it fill the entire LCD proportionately or does it need to be letterboxed to look right?
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Nathan:

Every thing appears to be appropriate on the Polaroid. The mode switch has four selections which give 16:9, 16:9 inverted, 4:3 with pillars on side, and 4:3 inverted with pillars on side. There is a "hold" switch that locks the modes in, and I leave that on all the time.

Comparing the 16:9 with the LCD, aspect appears appropriate. I think there are some "overscan" issues, where the entire recorded image may not show up on LCD, but I think we have all come to expect that on consumer monitor solutions.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
they should keep the price down...otherwise it's just better judgment to buy a Xh-A1 for this price.
If I could buy this at the same price as an A1, I might just take this. As the accessories alone put it at an advantage in some respects. Plus, if you ever outgrow the HV20 itself, the 35mm adapter and follow focus are more than likely usable on the next camera you purchase. If they make a functional version of this I just may be stepping up to the plate.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders