DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   hv20 support viewing hd video through firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/97590-hv20-support-viewing-hd-video-through-firewire.html)

Jason Dourgarian June 26th, 2007 03:49 PM

hv20 support viewing hd video through firewire?

With my old Sony DV cam, I could plug it into my computer through firewire, and plug the composite cable to my tv. That allowed me to edit on Vegas and use my tv as a preview monitor in real time.

I am curious whether the HV20 can do the same, except plug in the TV through HDMI or Component cables...and have an instant HD playback preview.

Is this possible?

Chris Barcellos June 26th, 2007 03:59 PM

Sorry Jason, no. None of the HDV cameras can do that. It is my rudimentary understanding that what you are editing on the time line of your editor has to be processed to a different streaming file in order for it to be run back through your camera. You are stuck with the editors preview for those purposes, unless you render to tape out...

Enea Lanzarone June 26th, 2007 04:07 PM

Chris is right. I just wanted to add that there are some special editing cards (I remember Matrox offering one for a considerably low price, the 'Parhelia' it was, I think) allowing external output even for HDV editing.

Jason Dourgarian June 26th, 2007 04:34 PM

wow, that's a shame.

does this have to do with copyright laws?

Dearl Golden June 26th, 2007 04:35 PM

See the Matrox card here.....

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/cr...helia/apve.php

Chris Barcellos June 26th, 2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Dourgarian (Post 703280)
wow, that's a shame.

does this have to do with copyright laws?

It is my guess it has to do with techical issues of "transcoding" if that is right word, back in real time to a HDV compliant signal that can be processed back out of the camera. My guess is based on fact that when I want to record a finished product back to camera, it goes through a lenghty transcoding process.

Jason Dourgarian June 26th, 2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 703297)
when I want to record a finished product back to camera, it goes through a lenghty transcoding process.

This brings up a new question. So when you say that you record it back to the camera, does that mean that you can play it back on an HDTV and use it as a HD player? So you could play videos using this instead of a blu-ray or hd-dvd player?

Chris Barcellos June 26th, 2007 06:56 PM

Yes, either through the component out or HDMI port.

Pieter Jongerius June 27th, 2007 03:24 AM

It is my impression that many HDTVs feature VGA in... connect it directly to the computer as your 2nd display! That would be my first idea. Plus it saves the computer the MPEG2 encoding needed for HDV transport. Any drawbacks to this approach?

Pieter

Peter J Alessandria June 28th, 2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pieter Jongerius (Post 703522)
It is my impression that many HDTVs feature VGA in... connect it directly to the computer as your 2nd display! That would be my first idea. Plus it saves the computer the MPEG2 encoding needed for HDV transport. Any drawbacks to this approach?

Pieter

I use the component out on my computer's video card (I specifically got a card that supports HDTV out) to go back to my 32" LCD HDTV to preview my edit while working in Vegas. I get full screen/full rez previews that way. Just set up the HDTV as my second display in Windows. Works fine. No need to go through a camera for HDTV preivews.

Chris Barcellos June 28th, 2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pieter Jongerius (Post 703522)

Pieter

Some do, some don't. My HDTV has HDMI only. But it workes with an adapter from the DVI output on my video card.

Problem remains that in many editors, you don't necessarily get a full rez preview, without choppiness and transitions and effects may not play without some rendering.

Chris Barcellos June 28th, 2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria (Post 704196)
I use the component out on my computer's video card (I specifically got a card that supports HDTV out) to go back to my 32" LCD HDTV to preview my edit while working in Vegas. I get full screen/full rez previews that way. Just set up the HDTV as my second display in Windows. Works fine. No need to go through a camera for HDTV preivews.

Peter:

1. What is your computer setup, and editing program.

2. What Graphics card is that ? I ask because I may be in market for a new one.

Peter J Alessandria June 28th, 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 704212)
Peter:

1. What is your computer setup, and editing program.

2. What Graphics card is that ? I ask because I may be in market for a new one.

Vegas 7 (hit ALT>Shift>4 for full screen previews)

I'm running a two year old system at this point. The graphics card is an old ATI X700 (256MB). Processor is AMD X2 3800+ 2GB RAM two 300GB SATA 7200 rpm dirves.

Now I'll admit if I put a couple of filters on my video or run multiple tracks playback slows (but it's still full rez). But the same would be true in the old days when you needed a firewire/camera connection to preview full screen on an external monitor.