DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Will miniDV tapes from other HD camera work on the HV20? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/97638-will-minidv-tapes-other-hd-camera-work-hv20.html)

David Delaney June 27th, 2007 09:40 AM

Will miniDV tapes from other HD camera work on the HV20?

I have a problem camera, the HC1 - firewire is dead - I am wondering whether to have the Firewire fixed (about $550) or to buy the HV20 (about $950 on Amazon) and use it as a camera/deck with my HC1 - and as a second progressive camera. Since the HC1 is NOT progressive, will the HV20 still play back the tapes created in HC1 properly?

Chris Barcellos June 27th, 2007 10:03 AM

First, make sure it isn't cable itself.

Second, I have captured tape from FX1 through the HV20 successfully, so it should do same for HC1. Warning, though, one thing you might discover after getting the HV20 is that it will give you a better image than the HC1.

Ian Albinson June 27th, 2007 10:52 AM

Tapes from other units will be fairly compatible, but be careful of "unique" shooting features from the different models. Canon has their 24F and 30F modes that are only compatible with Canon equipment, and Sony may have a similar thing with the HVR-V1U.

David Delaney June 28th, 2007 12:49 PM

Thanks for that. HC1 has only interlace mode, so I think that should be ok. Now I need to find one on the cheap!

Luiz Murillo June 28th, 2007 03:26 PM

hv10/20 wrecks HC1/3/5/7
You'll want sell the HC1 scrap and buy another canon =)

David Delaney June 28th, 2007 06:06 PM

Do you mean that figuratively or that it physically wreck tapes?

Betsy Moore June 30th, 2007 12:55 AM

I can play my HC1 tapes on the HV20 with no problem. Where I got burned and others may be ware though is, since my NTSC HC1 had no problem playing Sony FX1 PAL tapes I assumed (foolishly I know) that there was still that HDV format rule in effect that said that you didn't have to be able to record in all flavors of HDV but you have to be able to play all flavors (for example, the HDVHS that JVC came out with that started this whole thing could never record 1980p but by HDV rules could always play 1080p.) Any way HV20s will not even play 1080 50i or JVC style 720p (even though both the FX1 and HC1 would play those tapes as well). Oh well, as Canon showed in its rude treatment of customers wanting to edit the 24p footage, it's not gonna go crazy to help you on the small but important stuff.

David Delaney June 30th, 2007 09:18 AM

Betsy,
I am a little confused what you are talking about. I am glad the HV20 can be played in a HC1, that is important to me, but you lost me on the rest of it...

Betsy Moore June 30th, 2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney (Post 705094)
Betsy,
I am a little confused what you are talking about. I am glad the HV20 can be played in a HC1, that is important to me, but you lost me on the rest of it...

No David, unfortunately HV20 tapes can't be played in the HC1--only Vice versa, HC1 tapes can be played in the HV20. As for the rest of it, it doesn't apply to you unless you have tapes from other HDV cameras (like the JVC HD-1 or the PAL Sonys) which a lot of people on this site do have so that heads up might be helpful to them. But if you're only worried about NTSC HC1 footage playing on an NTSC Canon HV20 you'll be all right.